P-51B Mustang "Little Duckfoot"

JimmyZ

Hi, I'm looking for information on "Little Duckfoot" (the B version) but not finding much, and the little bit I found is contradictory.

I have decals to build this one

3_275_zpskgsfifvu.png

However I can only find two photos of the aircraft, one of which looks like it does not have the Malcolm hood like in the color plate I'm basing the build on.

c5-j2_zpszyitdgts.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken the Malcolm hood canopy slides open backwards whereas the razorback will flip open like in the above photo

In the second photo below I cannot see the canopy, however the yellow and red checkered strip on the nose seems to be missing, maybe just the lighting.

c5-j3_zpsbweigg16.jpg

I can't find any info to indicate which is correct. I'm assuming the photos does not lie, and I can build it as a razorback, but there's other variables I cannot see in the photos like;

1. Does the invasion stripes on the fuselage go all the way around, or only bottom half?

2. Stripes on the wings on top as well, or only bottom?

3. Will the serial number be the same?

Maybe there were more than one pre-"D" model Duckfoot, as the font of the name is also not the same in the photos.

I believe the color plate comes from this site: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/3/2 (bottom of page)

Though I do not know how reliable the source is.

Does anyone know more than this? It will be much appreciated.

J

I'll check my book on the 357th later on but I'm pretty sure when the stripes were first painted on, they used the full stripes top and bottom of the wings and fuselage.

As for your other concerns, it's entirely possible without looking into it that the pilot's original plane was damaged beyond repair and he was assigned a new one with the Malcolm hood and a new serial no. However, it's also entirely possible the his plane was modified 'in the field' with the Malcolm Hood and the serial no be the same as before. As for the name/artwork, that could be changed at anytime by the groundcrew.

thanks

Mike

According to the Little Friends website, it appears that there was only one 'B' model Duckfoot. (There was also a 'D')

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/357thfg.php?action=list_records&sort_order=ASC&order_by=Squ&recs=All#tabletop

The photo gallery shows the same photographs that you've turned up.

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=357&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=266&Temp=3250&searchString=

It's apparent from the photos that the stripes carry over to the upper surface of the wing (look at the starboard wing in your first photo). This would suggest that the full set of stripes was also present on the fuselage, and date the photograph to June-August 1944.

Looking at the second photo, I'm of the opinion that the checkered nose band is present, just rather obscured by shadows and lighting.

You could probably go either way with the canopy, though based on the photos there's more evidence for the 'greenhouse' style.

regards,

Jason

Below the quarterlight on the lower photo it looks like there's a rail for the Malcolm hood. I'd support the view the wing stripes at least are on uppers also.

The lower pic is quite close the the depiction in the profile, especially regarding the lettering style used. There are a couple of possibilities:

- Two airframes, probably the one with the earlier canopy being dbr and replaced by the Malcolm hooded one;

- One airframe, being modded in the field re the the canopy. I'm ignorant about the effort needed for that, but considering the full striping, I am somewhat sceptical whether this sort of work would be done in the busy period just post D-Day. The differing lettering could be down to this being so just for its own sake, alternatively it could be possible the starboard one which looks less artistic is a replacement panel for either a blank one or one that mirrored the left panel.

Looking at the second photo (in front of the hangar) I 'd agreed that the rail for the Malcolm hood is visible. I can't think what else that could be.

The P-51D Little Duckfoot on the American Air Museum website shows the nose lettering in the same style as the P-51B outside the hangar. Perhaps the panels were transferred over?

I've checked in my various Mustang books (and I have a few) but couldn't find any additional pictures.

However, looking at other P-51B's of the 357th at that time, (Old Crow and Hurry Home Honey), I would go with full 'invasion' stripes top and bottom and the checkboard around the nose. I would also agree that the Malcolm was most likely fitted.

I would also suggest fixing the wing racks on and if you want anything on the racks, either 75 gallon or 108 gallon drop tanks would be appropriate to this subject.

thanks

Mike

It looks to me as though these images are of the same machine just after D Day, as evidenced by the hastily applied stripes and then later, possibly after a repair or period of maintenance. Note the much neater stripes and the repainted name on the nose.

It may even be possible that the Malcolm Hood is being fitted in the second image. There appear to be neither aerial mast or canopy, though the rails are clearly there. I understand it took the manufacturer's teams about to day to fit the hood.

In the first image, the stripes would likely be applied per the directive and therefore surround both fuselage and wing. In the later picture, it may well be that the upper stripes have been removed iaw later practice.

It looks to me that the nose checks are there in the later image, but not well lit. The yellow tips of the propeller blades are also almost invisible, too.

Edited by Kit builder

Thank you everyone that replied for the valuable information.

I agree after reading the replies I saw the rail for the Malcolm hood, and puts my mind at ease with opting for it.

I'll probably go full invasion stripes too like in the profile. I also have a profile of "Old Crow" with Malcolm hood and full invasion stripes so at the very least it could be possible.

As for the serial I am not sure. I found a website with 357th serials saying it Little Duckfoot's serial as depicted in the profile, or "plate", is wrong. I guess seeing as there is so little info and only two photos neither can be proved, which can be a good or bad thing in this case.

It's a pity that there is not more photos, as I like to find everything I possibly can about a subject before building it and in a way get attached to it.

Cheers

J

In the book The Silver Spitfire Wing Commander Tom Neil describes having a Malcolm Hood fitted to a P51B in a few days after contacting the manufacturers and leaving 'his' Mustang for a few days!

Merle Olmsted's 'To War with the Yoxford Boy's' (Eagle Editions) confirms that Gerald Tyler only had the one Razorback Mustang, C5-J 43-6373 'Little Duckfoot'. This confirms that the airframe went through the changes visible in the photos above.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in the 357th FG get a copy of 'To War with the Yoxford Boy's'. Typical large Eagle Editions book (375 pages), very comprehensive regarding the 357th History, pilots, aircraft etc.

It can be obtained for US$22.50+ plus Postage (cheap in the US) for a new copy from at least one seller who can be located using Bookfinder search engine. 'www.bookfinder.com'

Steve Mackenzie

Although I can't speak specifically to 'Little Duckfoot' there is photographic evidence that the Malcolm hoods were retrofitted in the field to P-51Bs and that invasion stripes initially painted in full were later painted out on the upper surfaces. There are two photos in existence of P-51B 2106829 named 'Joan' of the 362nd squadron, 357th group, one showing full invasion stripes and the standard canopy and another presumably later with a Malcolm hood fiited and the invasion stripes painted out on the upper surfaces.