1/35 Vosper MTB colours

paul178

Thanks to a member on here I now have the above boat. I have been researching colours for it. After much googling I am confused. I want to build it as MTB77or similar and the more I look The more confused I get.

My problems are I am restricted to aerosols* and I think the Hull colour is near enough 64 and in a conversation with some one who's Dad served in this class in the channel thinks the whole boat was light grey apart from the anti slip areas which were blue grey or darker grey. This was from a model his father made and is recollection only. I want to model this as an early war channel scheme not a Mediterranean one.

So can anyone throw any light on this please? All comments and help gratefully received.

*I think painting a 25" long hull with a paint brush and acrylics is beyond my skills(unless with a 2" brush and work fast and I am sure that would look a dogs breakfast) The deck if it is a different colour I can do by brush in bits and what colour might that be.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Some info for you

MTB 77 served in the Med so that's out.

MTB 97 served with the 24th Flottilla at Newhaven until June '43 when she moved to the Med where she survived the war

The info I have indicates she left the yard in September '43 painted 507B overall . 507B is described as medium grey which I don't think Humbrol do as an aerosol. I would suggest Halfords primer would be suitable, certainly based on the can I have. Be cheaper too ;-)

I would agree non slip surfaces would be a darker grey.

97 came from the same order numer as 77. This included 73-98 & 222-245. Most of the images / info I found were for later schemes using two or three colour schemes. I believe you have the pennant number 79 in the box so a little bit of surgery required.

If you google MTB 97 there are a couple of good images

I hope this helps

Thank you very much Kev, I have enough Halfords grey primer to spray a truck! Yes 97 it will be then. They exhausts? look very clean so she must be new or a very "tidley boat"! Without driving you nuts MTB 524 looks very similar to the airfix 1/72 kit. do you know if the hull form is the same.If it is I might try converting it. Good for me to do a bit of scratch building after I finish 97. OOB is all very well but after your magnificent offerings (MAS Boat and 385 in progress) I will have a bash but not on your scale as that is beyond me.

Cheers

Paul :)

If 507B is a reference to AP507B, the nearest Humbrol paint to this is number 145. Given that you're restricted to aerosol cans, you might find something near in the Tamiya range. I'm thinking maybe of haze gray or ocean grey.

Joseph

Thanks for the info Joseph

Paul, the two pics of 97 are from builders trials. The stern view shows her flying the red ensign & the guy in the suit is definitely out of place ;-) . Hence the clean appearance.

MTB 524 is a Vosper 73' type II. The Italeri 1/35 hull is not suitable. The Airfix 1/72 is the type I but the main changes are to the weapons. I.e. reduced to 2 x 18" tubes. 6 pounder on the foredeck and twin 20mm oerlikon aft.

If you want to up gun the Italeri kit how about MTB 234. Google for images. 20mm oerlikon on the fore deck and a nice paint job.

A1/35 20mm oerlikon kit is available from a couple of sources.

Glad to be able to help a fellow Coastal Forces fan

Cheers Kev