1/144 Air New Zealand A320 decals

niki

Hi everyone,

"Attach Before Flight" from the Netherlands just brought out a new screen printed decal for Air New Zealand's A320 in 1/144th scale.

1380144432000-OXB.JPG

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/02/27/air-new-zealand-bullish-on-future-after-record-profit/5857981/

I found out about it on ARC. That's where you also get to see appropriate details on the product.

Cheers,

Niki

L.E.: now I see it's being discussed over at Airlinercafe also...

Edited by niki

Another decal set to get. Right up my alley this one as I tend to focus on Australasian-based airlines for my 1/144 and 1/200 stuff.

I note NZ decal suppliers, Old Model Decals, also do one in the same scheme (but obviously not sure how this compares yet) http://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/NZ-Commercial-Jets.html

And, I agree with stringbag, it is a stunning scheme.

Jelle (one of the guys at Attached Before Flight) built an ANZ A320 using the Oldmodels decals. It turned out very pretty but, as I remember, he said the decals put up a fight which might have led the guy to try and improve the experience for anyone else wishing to add this scheme to their shelves.

Here it is: Revell + Oldmoldels Decals

Decal has arrived and besides being nice it's... huge! Nearly an A4 big sheet :o That was to be expected I suppose, but then again life has taught me to keep my expectations low... :P:)

Hope it sells well and we get additional subjects from this outfit.

Edited by niki

Let us know if you can if the apparent 2D decal print of the large fern leaf onto a 3D model (as discussed on the other forum) is really that much of an issue.

The Old Model Decal set appears to have been set up appropriately for 3D but conversely some are saying it's got other issues in being a complicated / difficult decal to apply at the very least.

Will this "Attach Before Flight" version work in spite of the 2D print issue, is essentially what i would like to know?

• Like 1

I have just copied the decal onto a piece of baking paper, cut out the outline and tried placing it on the Revell and Zvezda kits. I believe it can be handled in such a way that one will not miss anything dimensionally at the upper end of the motif. Worst case scenario will see, I think, based on my rudimentary play and this picture, about one millimeter missing at the root of the fern (resulting from the right positioning of the tip of the fern) and possibly the need to trim a bit of the first leaf from the root towards the lower center line of the airplane.

Regarding the motif itself, looked at directly from the side, the third leaf from the tip of the fern and towards the tail of the aircraft should look kind of skinny once the decal is applied since on the real aircraft it is some twice the size (er..., bigger anyway) of its neighboring leaves, to cater for the curvature of the fuselage and keep an even appearance when looked at from the side...

Note: I am very excited about this decal sheet, so perhaps I am seeing the glass half full here. Maybe somebody else can check also and provide feedback. The producers also promised on Airlinercafe to have a model ready using their own merchandise, so we should definitely see how it stands soon enough.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your kind words about the Air New Zealand decal sheet! I am the designer of the sheet and together with fellow modeler Arjan we run Attach Before Flight.

About the fern leaf stretch issue:

I admit I made an error here. Yes, the fern leaf should have been stretched out on several spots, especially where the fuselage curves towards the roof/vertical stab root. The fern leaf on our sheet has the appropriate size so it can be applied on the right position without any troubles: the tip and bottom of the leaf end up in the right places. The only mistake is that I vertically stretched the fern leaf evenly to make it fit, instead of at more concentrated spots.

The only other option for this livery is provided by OldModels Decals which has the exact same error! Also, their decal film is incredibly (almost unworkable) thick, and it has some other errors as well.

I really don't want to talk other's products down only to increase the sales of mine; this is my first attempt at designing a production decal sheet and yes, I made a little error. They are almost gone though, so if you want one, be quick!

Greets and thanks again,

Jelle

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman