Tornado F3 Iraqi Air Force.

I don't of I will be allowed thsi one, but I will try. In around 1988 the Iraqi Air Force was looking at buying some Tornado F3s and were almost about to buy them, but it was then revealed that the British Government does not sell to countries that are at war wwhich Iraq was with Iran. But what if the Iraqis were allowed this purchase? I will be using the Hasegawa kit and some Linden Hill decals and the rest is a bit fluid at the moment.

The Kit.

Tornado%20F3%20001_zpsfyn8q8fk.jpg

Tornado%20F3%20002_zpsxknq7hex.jpg

The Decals

Tornado%20F3%20003_zpsnldv9knk.jpg

Tornado%20F3%20004_zpse9kt6ek2.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 5

Quick question. Does anyone know where I can get a set of Airwaves wings for a Tornado with the flaps and slats deployed? I have had a look on Hannants web site and they say that they are future release. I have also looked at a few other web sites but to no avail.

Also I know that the F3s did not normally have the outer wing pylons fitted, but as with all British aircraft that are sold to overseas forces, they were/are usually better equipped than the RAF version. What I am thinking of doing is fitting these pylons so that they would be able to carry Sidewinder missiles. My question is although I know that this is a what if, could these pylons have actually had the load capability to carry these missiles?

They would almost certainly have the load capability, the RAF fitted them to F3's on deployments for Op Telic and Deny Flight (I think it was anyway) to carry BOZ pods and towed decoys. The were never used to carry offensive weapons by the RAF and probably weren't wired for it.

Muzz

They would almost certainly have the load capability, the RAF fitted them to F3's on deployments for Op Telic and Deny Flight (I think it was anyway) to carry BOZ pods and towed decoys. The were never used to carry offensive weapons by the RAF and probably weren't wired for it.

Muzz

Thanks, I knew that there were fitted on Op Telic, I suppose that they could have been wired to carry Sidewinder missiles at some satge especially if a customer asked for it.

nice idea! an Iraqi Tornado F.53!

The F.3 was equipped and wired for 4 AIM-9 type missiles + the 4 Skyflashs semi recessed on the belly just like the F-15.... would you need any more? Flanker style? 10 AAMs?

its a WHIF, so why not!

just think about the overwing rocket pods for the Saudi/ Kuwaiti Lightnings!

The F.3 was equipped and wired for 4 AIM-9 type missiles + the 4 Skyflashs semi recessed on the belly just like the F-15.... would you need any more? Flanker style? 10 AAMs?

More bangs for your bucks!

nice idea! an Iraqi Tornado F.53!

Ultimately wired for 4 ASRAAM and 4 AMRAAM before retirement.

Ultimately wired for 4 ASRAAM and 4 AMRAAM before retirement.

yeah, but it would probably have been buried in Iraqi desert sand by the time the RAF Tornado F.3 got those!! :devil:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

As I have been unable to find an Airwaves Tornado Wing set (apart from the US at great expense) I have decided to build the wings as from the kit. I will have a better update in the next day or so.

A small update. I have built up the cockpit, making it more into an operational F3, and this has been glued into one half of the fwd fuselage. I will hopfully get the fwd fuselage together in the next day or so. I have also been making up the parts that go inside the rear fuselage, but I have not painted them as yet.

Tornado%20F3%20005_zps6wf6lwna.jpg

Tornado%20F3%20006_zpsu0vchxmm.jpg

This part was dameged the other night when I had a liquid poly spillage. Luckily most of the damage was on the inside of the part or where the missiles will go.

Tornado%20F3%20007_zpssmjpc55a.jpg

• Like 1

I have made some headway with this model, having got together the Fwd and rear parts of the fuselage. I have also placed my homemade TABs on top of the Navs instrument panel to give it some slightly better representation of what should be there. Hopefully I shall get these two halves joined together in the next day or so.

The Fwd fuselage.

Tornado%20F3%20008_zpssczfioyo.jpg

The rear fuselage.

Tornado%20F3%20009_zpsgl7rkmxt.jpg

This picture shows the difference in the Fwd wing sweep with both fully Fwd between the Hasegawa kit (left) and a recently finished Revell GR1B (Right).

Tornado%20F3%20010_zpsermbu7xi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

I have got the front and back halves together now, plus the fin. I still have some parts of the intakes to add, but luckily I have not added them. I mentioned earlier that I was hoping to make this model with the Airwaves wing which has the slats and flaps out, but as I had been unable to find a set (apart from one that came at great postage) I decided to forgo that and stick with the kit wings. Just after I took these photos I went onto Hannants web site and there the first new arrival of the day was the Airwaves Tornado wing so I ordered a set. So now I have a slight change of plan. As I had not added the outer sides of the air intakes I was able to prise apart the wing glove/nib and remove the wings, so that hopefully I can get the Airwaves wings in. Oh the joys of a modeller. I also rubbed the front of the fin a smidge, which is now slightly better than the kits, and I have added some filler to the front end. There are a lot of sink marks in the rear end that require filling but I will not do much in that area until the new or old wings are fitted.

Anyway some pictures before the wings were removed.

Tornado%20F3%20011_zpsc8kj5uuk.jpg

Tornado%20F3%20012_zps7pytzeig.jpg

Tornado%20F3%20013_zpsrn4oinxk.jpg

• Like 2

This picture shows the difference in the Fwd wing sweep with both fully Fwd between the Hasegawa kit (left) and a recently finished Revell GR1B (Right).

Tornado%20F3%20010_zpsermbu7xi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Which is better? Or is there a difference in the actual variants? :shrug: I genuinely have no idea!

Al

I don't know which is better, and I don't think that there was an actual difference between variants as I think that the wing sweep jack (actuator) could be fitted to either variant and the range of operation of this jack was the same. No actual update just a picture of a Hasegawa GR 1 (pink one) and the Revell GR1B, and the difference in angle when the wings are fully forward are still the same as the previous picture. The Hasegawa kit is fitted with the Airwaves wing, but this has no difference as to where the wing sits.

Tornado%20F3_zpssy1yeg1z.jpg

• Like 1

Nice progress. Have you already decided what colour scheme you are going to use?! A desert camo like the saudi's have would be nice (I think)

Cheers,

I have been thinking about the colour scheme and I am a little undecided at the moment. It was the Saudi GR1s that had the desert camo scheme, their F3s were the same as the RAF ones, Grey. I am thinking of a desert scheme as per the MiG 23s that the Iraqis use, but as I said I am not sure at the moment if the Iraqis would have asked for one.