Hurricane Mk.1 L1973

Fifer54

Troy,

Thank you for the link...great footage. From that footage, I'd agree it looks like the light is in the metal wing position. However, in this one, I'd almost say it was a fabric wing, but the ejector ports look more metal wing.

Hurri%201%20Squadron_zpst9cbhndy.jpg

Dave - the Hurricanes they brought with them were the RCAF Hurris from Canada. Some still had the two bladed props! They were quickly replaced with British examples. That being said 323 flew in combat with 1 Squadron as YO-D as it arrived after the exchange. I'd love to find a photo of it during the Battle.

There is a photo of another early 1 (F) Squadron RCAF Hurricane (L1851) on my site:

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/2015/01/battle-of-barristers-theres-hurricane.html

I just assumed it was a fabric wing bird based upon the serial, but now I wonder...

JIm

Edited by airjiml2

Troy,

Thank you for the link...great footage. From that footage, I'd agree it looks like the light is in the metal wing position. However, in this one, I'd almost say it was a fabric wing, but the ejector ports look more metal wing.

Hurri%201%20Squadron_zpst9cbhndy.jpg

Dave - the Hurricanes they brought with them were the RCAF Hurris from Canada. Some still had the two bladed props! They were quickly replaced with British examples. That being said 323 flew in combat with 1 Squadron as YO-D as it arrived after the exchange. I'd love to find a photo of it during the Battle.

There is a photo of another early 1 (F) Squadron RCAF Hurricane (L1851) on my site:

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/2015/01/battle-of-barristers-theres-hurricane.html

I just assumed it was a fabric wing bird based upon the serial, but now I wonder...

JIm

HI Jim

Dave posted the footage, not me, I just did a screen grab,

(actually even more basic, I used 'Print screen' and pasted the result into paint...)

As for your pic of L1973, that looks metal wing, here's an old chesnut of a pic, note how close in are the landing light on the fabric wing, and the position of the ejector slots. Your pic shows a metal wing.

hurr1-10.jpg

L1851 was one of a few fabric wing Hurricanes on strength with 1 (RCAF) Squadron. On August 18, 1940, the day after the Squadron became operational, Flight Lieutenant V. B.Corbett ran into a fuel browser with YO-U during a scramble at 14:30 hours at RAF Hornchurch. The results of the collision are illustrated in the photo above. (Photo

courtesy of the Canada Department of National Defence/Library and Archives of Canada.)

Hurricane%2BL1851.jpg

Very hard to tell what wing, as none of the identifiers are visible. I've taken the liberty of quoting it out of you blog, as to often links don't get checked.

I'll edit it out if you wish.

Having looked at plans, given the buckling of the trailing edge, which is very strained at the point the metal meets fabric behind the gun bays on a fabric wing plane, I have expected some kind of split to be visible, and it's not.

Another one to ponder on.

cheers

T

Troy,

Thank you and thank you for pointing out you didn't post the video. So sorry, Dave, thank you for posting that. Wonderful.

Well, I guess I need a new subject for my 1/72 Airfix kit, as I was going to do L1851...

Jim

There might be better raw unedited footage of Hurricanes on the movietone.com archive. I had a look but can't play any on the phone I'm using. Might turn up something usefull.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

my mistake for resurrecting an old chestnut, but I'm still not sure if L1973 has had it's wing replaced with the all metal type.

From the video, it depends where you see the gun tape ends and the space to the light - am assuming the light is located where the back dot is.  I took another screen grab a frame or two after the example that was posted on the first page, and a second look with the contrast increased:

44913300471_770874ce3f_c.jpg

43101457300_32e33cdf8d_c.jpg

Also taped up the model bits from an Airfix ragwing, and tried to replicate the angle and size by viewing the model in front of the screen, and the light does fall right where the dot is on leading edge of the screen grab example.  Unless that dot is not the light and is situated further out, then I've just wasted some time ...

regards,

Jack

On 12/6/2015 at 20:04, Troy Smith said:

Cheers Dave

Note, the footage immediately after the 1sq is of 501 Sq taking off, including SD-X.

Here's a screen grab of YO-G/L1973, note the 'G' under the nose, De Havilland Hurricane spinner and what appears to be a metal wing, note further outbard position of landing light vs guns is just about visible

Hurricane_L1973_YO_G_1_sq_RCAF_screen_gr

this head on a fabric wing shows the light is a bay inboard for comparison

On 12/6/2015 at 21:01, tango98 said:

Hi Troy,

Yes, G has a metal wing. When the squadron was inspected at Middle Wallop by Dowding on 25 June it was noted that the Hurricanes which the squadron had brought with them "were not of the latest type, he (Dowding) immediately made arrangements to replace these A/C with new Hurricanes." (italicised entry is verbatim from Sqn ORB for 25 June 1940)

Most of the replacements were Rotol equipped with metal wings. That G has retained a dh prop, it is quite likely that as there may not have been enough 'new' Hurricanes to fully equip the squadron, some, such as 'G' simply retained their dh props and pole masts and had their outer wings replaced until more 'new' Hurricanes became available for the squadron.

It is also interesting to note that even as they were in the process of receiving their 'new' aircraft, the squadron moved to Croydon (on 4/5 July) but was grounded on 11 July because of improper camouflage on their aircraft (This of course raises a whole bunch of new questions!!) and squadron markings had not yet been issued. This was underway by 16 July with flying recommencing the next day.

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

Troy, thanks for reaffirming that.

Difficult to make out the tape over the gun ports, but now that I follow  the demarcation between upper and lower colours along the wing edge, it pretty much reveals the edge of the tape, and in turn the spacing between it and the light does indeed indicate a metal wing.

regards,

Jack