1/72 Revell Tornado Dambusters Anniversary

Dark Sea Grey paint arrived at the weekend and have given the nose a spray with it. I thought I'd try Vallejo Model Air as hadn't used those before, seems to have gone on ok. I'll try and put a picture up later. I'm looking forward to being able to get the decals on at some point soon.

Here it is with the nose painted. I think the next step will be trying to mismatch as the planes with the dambusters tail design seem to have a few darker panels on them, particularly along the top spine. I guess it'll just involved masking a few bits off then using a slightly darker shade of the original colour? The panels don't look as dark as the nose colour.

58b4733a-a073-4df7-b917-b234d10ef345_zps

• Like 1

Here it is with the nose painted. I think the next step will be trying to mismatch as the planes with the dambusters tail design seem to have a few darker panels on them, particularly along the top spine. I guess it'll just involved masking a few bits off then using a slightly darker shade of the original colour? The panels don't look as dark as the nose colour.

58b4733a-a073-4df7-b917-b234d10ef345_zps

looking good!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This had to take a back seat for a while, but have picked it up again today. Have been fixing the paint on the rear wing where I thought I'd got away with a stray bit of glue before the paint stage, but it left a bit of a hole which became visible after painting.

Not too long until those lovely Dambusters decals can go on now :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a long delay, I've finally been able to make some more progress with this one. There's a chance I'll get it finished over the long weekend (fingers crossed). Have added the metallic sections to the tail so the main painting's almost finished now. I'm looking forward to adding the decals.

f6ee2027-6001-4722-96f3-6cc3eed5fdce_zps

• Like 2

First few decals are on and just drying now. I do have a question about stencils which perhaps someone might be able to help with. I'm not sure if I can use ones from my Revell GR1 boxing to make this GR4? I started a thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987811-tornado-gr4-172-stencils-help-needed/#entry2087964

Thanks

Steve

20150831_193827_zpsulubrt0c.jpg

• Like 5

Have got through most of the decalling now and doing some work on the stores. Decals have taken ages! I think even each upper wing surface has about 15 on it!

For this one it'll just be fuel tanks, boz pod and storm shadow. The photos I can find of this plane show no centreline rail either so I'll leave that off.

Steve

20150906_143758_resized_zpsni1atpcv.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...