1/72 Revell Tornado Dambusters Anniversary

Hi

I'll be building a 1/72 Revell Tornado GR.1 as one of the Dambuster's 70th Anniversary GR.4s from a couple of years ago. I saw the flypast with the Lancaster at RIAT that year and loved the tail design.

I'll be using the Freightdog conversion kit. Xtradecal decals, Eduard photoetch interior, Master pitot tube and Montex mask. My first time using photoetch or a mask, but wanted to try and take a step forward with my builds.

I'll add some photos tonight. Thanks for letting me join the build.

Steve

• Like 4

Hi Steve

sounds like a cracking build - I have a very similar kit in my stash - an Airfix Dambuster 60th Anniversary 617 Sqd. twin kit which consists of a 1/48 Tornado and 1/72 Dambuster Lanc, and which I may have fit issues, but will be a cracking build if I get past the problems.

A bit more work on the cockpit completed tonight, it's starting to resemble the front of a plane now. I know it's a GR1 interior and not correct for a GR4, but it's certainly better than my usual work on the interior.

20150616_215241_zpskt6ijslo.jpg

• Like 3

Made a bit more progress today, cockpit finished off and wings and fuselage joined together. Not too happy with the join between front and rear fuselage so will try to fill this later. It is starting to look like a Tornado though! Have added the bump for the GR4 too.

Steve

20150617_215559_zps3fs9urnn.jpg

20150617_215631_zpsmcgslgcf.jpg

• Like 3

Filled, masked, primed and ready for some paint. I think the metal pitot tube looks quite nice, although I did managed to bend it quite a lot at one point.

Decided to have the airbrakes closed so as not to obscure the tail decal which is the point of doing this scheme.

Is it worth pre-shading on this scale? Not sure I'll have the accuracy to do it well.

I've only made a couple of models before, but I'm quite pleased with how this was is turning out so far (still plenty of time to mess it up).

Sorry for poor photo, only have phone camera at the moment.

20150619_232307_zpsaip2nr7m.jpg

• Like 4

Tried a bit of preshading this morning. Only my second attempt, lines a bit wonky, but better than the first time I tried it. Next I'll paint the black tail fin.

20150620_120551_zpsbj9w1mwi.jpg

preshading looks good :goodjob: - Might I suggest that you may want to make lines darker next time, because when you come to spray the top coat, you will have to make it really light, or post shade, as the examples that I have seen on the web show the pre-shading with quite dark lines with really light top coats, and I do not think it matters that the lines are not straight. :thumbsup: as I was told by someone that turns out fantastic end products, and he has been airbrushing for many many years, that the straightness of the pre-shading does not matter, and what matters is that you spray really light multiple top coats to enable the pre-shading to show through. :clap: Look forward to the next set of pictures, as I have a 1/48 Tornado IDS in my stash.

Did you have any major fit issues that you had to use a lot of filler to correct? :worthy:

• Like 2

preshading looks good :goodjob: - Might I suggest that you may want to make lines darker next time, because when you come to spray the top coat, you will have to make it really light, or post shade, as the examples that I have seen on the web show the pre-shading with quite dark lines with really light top coats, and I do not think it matters that the lines are not straight. :thumbsup: as I was told by someone that turns out fantastic end products, and he has been airbrushing for many many years, that the straightness of the pre-shading does not matter, and what matters is that you spray really light multiple top coats to enable the pre-shading to show through. :clap: Look forward to the next set of pictures, as I have a 1/48 Tornado IDS in my stash.

Did you have any major fit issues that you had to use a lot of filler to correct? :worthy:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give it a go with darker lines on my next one. I guess I was just worried about making it a bit too dramatic. I've put a couple of light coats over it now and seems to have come out okish. I'll put up a picture when I have a moment tomorrow.

No unexpected fit issues, it needed a bit of filler between the front and rear fuselage and where the tail fin joined the spine, but nothing too major. I tend to err on the side of caution with using filler as I still haven't got to grips with not bodging it up (lots left to learn). How have you found the 1/48 kit? Is it a scaled up version of the 1/72?

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

my pleasure and hope that my feedback was helpful and constructive. :winkgrin: Remember! model-making is an art-form, and no two finished products will look or turn out the same. :thumbsup:

Dont worry about bodging it, as I am sure that I am worse than you as a returning newbie after a break of almost 20ish years, where I am on a steep learning curve, as my current Tiger 1 mid-prod build is having a lot of first's i.e. airbrushing, CA glue, Photo-etch, acrylic's, primers etc.. dont want to bore you ;)

what filler are you using, as I am using Vallejo plastic putty which is so easy to clean up (with a damp cottonbud), and is much easier to clean-up than the Tamiya putty.

Can't wait to see your next set of pics... :D

P.s. not started with the 1/48 kit yet (Revell Tornado IDS) but had a quick look at the kit and it looks ok - no raised panel line's thank god! as I am almost at the weathering stage with the Tiger and am thinking to make the 1/72 Dambuster Lanc next :confused:

• Like 1

Hi Steve

my pleasure and hope that my feedback was helpful and constructive. :winkgrin: Remember! model-making is an art-form, and no two finished products will look or turn out the same. :thumbsup:

Dont worry about bodging it, as I am sure that I am worse than you as a returning newbie after a break of almost 20ish years, where I am on a steep learning curve, as my current Tiger 1 mid-prod build is having a lot of first's i.e. airbrushing, CA glue, Photo-etch, acrylic's, primers etc.. dont want to bore you ;)

what filler are you using, as I am using Vallejo plastic putty which is so easy to clean up (with a damp cottonbud), and is much easier to clean-up than the Tamiya putty.

Can't wait to see your next set of pics... :D

P.s. not started with the 1/48 kit yet (Revell Tornado IDS) but had a quick look at the kit and it looks ok - no raised panel line's thank god! as I am almost at the weathering stage with the Tiger and am thinking to make the 1/72 Dambuster Lanc next :confused:

Hi Atul, feedback was definitely taken as constructive and it's what I'm here for, I'm just keen to slowly improve as time goes on.

I've just been using Humbrol Putty, not sure if there is an easy way to clean it up? So has just been sanded down after setting. I'll have to look into some of the ones you mentioned, it's a shame there aren't many model shops left in my end of London - I get annoyed when online postage costs are as much as the value of the item!

Do you have a build thread for the Tiger?

Picture of my Tornado below. I think the preshading still shows through (subtely, comes out a little more in real life). I quite like the effect and will certainly try it again another time. I seem to have bodged one of the rear fins so will be trying to fix that this week. Might just need a sand down and respray to get rid of the white spot? A bit of the nose might also need a rescribe.

bdf11861-78d8-4354-a3ce-535b6f989a18_zps

31c95cfd-773e-437c-b388-620e3891d0c6_zps

Next I need to do the nose cone. Anyone know which shade of grey it should be? I've got some Revell and some Tamiya acrylics.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 4

Hi Steve

Hi Atul, feedback was definitely taken as constructive and it's what I'm here for, I'm just keen to slowly improve as time goes on.

I've just been using Humbrol Putty, not sure if there is an easy way to clean it up? So has just been sanded down after setting. I'll have to look into some of the ones you mentioned, it's a shame there aren't many model shops left in my end of London - I get annoyed when online postage costs are as much as the value of the item!

Do you have a build thread for the Tiger?

Picture of my Tornado below. I think the preshading still shows through (subtely, comes out a little more in real life). I quite like the effect and will certainly try it again another time. I seem to have bodged one of the rear fins so will be trying to fix that this week. Might just need a sand down and respray to get rid of the white spot? A bit of the nose might also need a rescribe.

bdf11861-78d8-4354-a3ce-535b6f989a18_zps

31c95cfd-773e-437c-b388-620e3891d0c6_zps

Next I need to do the nose cone. Anyone know which shade of grey it should be? I've got some Revell and some Tamiya acrylics.

Thanks

Steve

did you paint the main body in Medium Sea Grey?, then try Dark Sea Grey for the Radome (Tamiya XF54) or mix of Revell (dark grey)378:04 (white) ratio of 11:1 - hope this helps :winkgrin:

Edited by capt_biggles
  • Like 1