1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109 x 2 Italeri and Airfix

I got these 2 kits for my birthday last year. These will be OOB. Bo***cks I am wanting to get rid of the gun barrels. Well no PE.

Started on Saturday of the Queens Birthday long weekend as the weather is not great. I have to work on the Monday of the long weekend so it is not a long weekend after all.

box-art.jpg

This is the painting scheme from the Airfix kit that came in a box of 3 kits "Aircraft of the Aces" in which you get a Spitfire Mk1a, NA P-51D Mustang and a Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4.

paint-scheme-airfix.jpg

The Italeri sprues.

sprues-italeri.jpg

Airfix sprues.

sprues-airfix.jpg

Progress so far. I have painted the cockpits and have applied a wash. Airfix fuselage halves on the left.

fuselage-sides.jpg

seats.jpg

Italeri seat on the left.

seats2.jpg

Airfix seat on the bottom. Is it possible I have been a little over excited with the wash? The seats look a little over done now. Maybe too many Spitfires and Mustangs around.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

Nice start, the reference about too many spits and mustangs around made me chuckle.

I haven't build either of these kits but have been interested in both so will be good to see how they turn out.

+1 on what Mr p said, he know the odd thing about modelling I hear. Sometimes over washing the cockpit is the only way you see any detail once they a closed up!

Rob

Very nice start,

However, I would like to point out a few things at your beginning:

The cockpit color for the F version (and many E4 ones onward) was RLM66 black-grey

Also, The Italeri kit has over-sized wheels and wrong spinner shape, which really spoil the general look of it. A good thing is that You can use any set of main wheels from A to G-2 version, and any Spinner from F-0 to K-4 would do (but mind the correct size of the cannon opening)

Regards,

Aleksandar

• Like 1

Great start! I'm always interested in Bf 109 builds and these two particular kits have been in my "research list" for some time. So I' ll be following your wip closely.

Cheers

Jaime

I have repainted the cockpit of the Italeri kit as Warhawk suggested and added another wild wash. Bloody Germans are messy buggers with their aircraft. I have also closed up the fuselage and added the wings and started to fill gaps. The Italeri kit has plenty of gaps for my pleasure.

Hope the trip was good Bruce. Both kits are from Toyworld.

fuselage-sides-2.jpg

seat.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

Cant wait to see how you go!

Toyworld + 109 what a perfect start.

Have fun and enjoy the build......I'm filling in time before I take the plunge again! LOL

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update. I wasn't going to take so long on these kits.

The Airfix Bf-109 is painted and a coat of floor polish applied. Decals later today.

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

side.jpg

I am having trouble determining the colour scheme for the Italeri kit. The instructions are as clear as mud.

I have painted yellow on the tail but I can't figure out any other colour. I don't even know if the yellow is right. I am building the plane on the box.

no2-side.jpg

Went to Brisbane last week and come home with this.

box.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

Looks fantastic so far pal!

I think I need a BF109 in my collection, might make my Nightfighter ME262 feel a little less lonely.

The Air fix Vulcanised is a challenging yet fun and fantastic kit to build, I've not yet finished painting mine but I loved buildING her.

Keep up the fantastic work mate and I keep a watch from my hospital bed.

• Like 1

I am having trouble determining the colour scheme for the Italeri kit. The instructions are as clear as mud.

I have painted yellow on the tail but I can't figure out any other colour. I don't even know if the yellow is right. I am building the plane on the box.

That looks to be in the standard mid-late war colours of RLM 74/75/76 with a bit of 02 in the mottles/squiggles on the fuselage sides.

• Like 1

Looking good Stephen - what did you use for the yellow? It looks like a great coverage...

You've prompted me to buy the XH558 kit while they're still around... it's her last year flying so I went to see her display recently. Has to be done. :)

Now, where's that RobVulcan got to? I may need some replacement parts...

• Like 1

Thank you for the colour information Jessica. The problem with the Vulcan is I have to build a new display cabinet, the bugger is too big to fit in the present one.

The yellow is Mr Color 329 FS 13538.

Now for the next problem I had to remove the pitot tube as it is located inside the cross. What colour should I paint the pitot tube leave it blue or paint it black?

pitot-tube.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1

Thanks for the colour reference Stephen :)

Pitot tube? Hmmm. I guess this is one of those 'nobody really knows' questions and you've made me think about my recent builds again... I always paint the pitot before the markings and perhaps this is what happened in 'real life'? Although I can just see some erk thinking 'may as well do that bit as well'... although they may have been warned off painting 'technical sticky out bits' for fear of breaking them off?

I would say leave it as it is - but your model, your choice. :)

• Like 1

Regarding the pitot tube's colour, I have a Tamiya Bf 109 E4 and the instructions say the pitot should be blue with a black base.

Thank you for your input jrix and CedB. it will remain blue. It was a nasty little bugger to remove from the sprue, I thought it and the other sticky out little thingy would ping off into into the carpet monster's jaws.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 2

Hi Stephen

Regarding the italeri kit,if your building the box version,it seems to be Gallands modified version that retained the cannons of the E version,as shown on the box art,can't see them on the sprue shot though.

Andy