Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new tool) - Spitfire Collection Expansion Project

Excellent build! However - at the first look the difference is in angle of wheels to landing gear and to ground. The Tamiya Spit has it as rather in a Me109 style than the Spit one....May I ask - what happend?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

Beautifully done, really nice Spitfires there

Thank you Russ.

Excellent build! However - at the first look the difference is in angle of wheels to landing gear and to ground. The Tamiya Spit has it as rather in a Me109 style than the Spit one....May I ask - what happend?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thank you Jerzy - and you are quite correct! I hadn't noticed how off-shape they are! I've just checked back through the photos after I had first attached them and, I'm pretty sure, they didn't look like they do in these photos. I'm not at home at the moment to check them but I'm guessing the glue has softened or something and my constant moving them for the photos caused them to spread! They won't remain like this! Thank you for pointing out the problem.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi Marek. Hope you are well. Thank you. Not seen anything from you since your rather lovely Mustang. Will you be taking part in the Battle of Britain Group Build? Hope so.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Yesterday evening I did some investigating around the wheels on the Tamiya Spitfire and discovered the joints where the legs join the inside of the wing and where the wheels join onto the legs are both a little spongy. I have no idea why. Last night I got them back into the correct position but I think I may remove them at the weekend and re-glue them.

I will post some update photos when I've done them.

On the plus side the joints on the Airfix version, where I've strengthened the dodgy joints (provided by Airfix) with wire, are really sturdy and going no-where!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Yesterday evening I did some investigating around the wheels on the Tamiya Spitfire and discovered the joints where the legs join the inside of the wing and where the wheels join onto the legs are both a little spongy. I have no idea why.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on that when I come to that point. I had to rework a bit the plugging holes for the wheel struts, because they didn't fit properly, but haven't tested the wheels fit as of yet.

Thanks for the heads up, Stix! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on that when I come to that point. I had to rework a bit the plugging holes for the wheel struts, because they didn't fit properly, but haven't tested the wheels fit as of yet.

Thanks for the heads up, Stix! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi giemme. Now that you mention you had to rework the area I remember I had to do some work on mine as well. I think I thought I'd possibly got some paint into the hole that the leg fits into. Maybe it was really just a very tight (or too tight) fit. Anyway, I remember I thought I'd taken a bit too much off and it seemed a bit wobbly. I wasn't overly worried because I could sort it when I glued it together........but obviously not!

At least you are now aware to take extra time over the undercarriage in general. Hope it goes well when you get there.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Outstanding work as usual Stix,great WIP which will only add to the wealth of reference material the rest of us can tap into for our own builds in

whatever scale we work in. :thumbsup:

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

I have been away for a while but what i saw after get back here make me happy.

You did superb job with those two kits.The amount of weatherig is just right and your painting skills are even better.

Well done!

I hope that you will be continue to expand your spitfire project.

• Like 1

Outstanding work as usual Stix,great WIP which will only add to the wealth of reference material the rest of us can tap into for our own builds in

whatever scale we work in. :thumbsup:

Hi Steve. Thank you for your very kind comments - I think I was lucky that some of the real Spitfire experts contributed to my thread.

Excellent looking Spit's

Thank You for your kind comment Janremco.

I have been away for a while but what i saw after get back here make me happy.

You did superb job with those two kits.The amount of weatherig is just right and your painting skills are even better.

Well done!

I hope that you will be continue to expand your spitfire project.

Hi Pawel. Thank you for your kind comments - I will definitely be expanding my Spitfire collection very soon! What's next for you?

pleasseeee, no more spitfires!!!!!

Thank you!

Sorry Jeroen. Never going to happen! I love them and I'm personally starting two soon and there'll be a fair few more in the Battle of Britain Group Build. You don't like 'em - don't bother looking!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Earlier in the week Jerzy (JWM) noticed that the legs on the Tamiya version were at the wrong angle. When I investigated I discovered that the joints were quite 'spongy'. This morning I sorted out the problem by removing the undercarriage, drilling out the joints and inserting some styrene rod before re-gluing them both. The result is much better joints:

18762391361_80314c9d29_c.jpg

18733625666_fd094d5b1c_c.jpg

So thank you to Jerzy for pointing out the problem.

...........and, if anyone is wondering, the two boxes behind are my kits for the Battle of Britain GB. Something just made me want to get them out and I have washed them in soapy water in preparation for the off in few weeks time!

Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

What a post.. both superbly executed models Stix.. I think I prefer the Airfix Vb for some reason (perhaps the u/c issue with the Tamiya having an effect? -idk). I really like your backdrop too, very effective.(may I ask which variety of grass you use?)

I have the Airfix Vb to build next, yours is a great reference point- any issues to look out for?

regards, Dave

Ha ha....

Sorry Jeroen. Never going to happen!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix now I'm doing Hurricane from 303 and next I don't know.

I have japanese destroyer to do or tiger 1 and BoB gb is behind the corner so maby something german this time....Me 109 or Bf 110????

We shall see :)

Hi Pawel. Sounds like you've got quite a few builds planned. Excellent! Which Tiger 1 kit have you got?

They look great :goodjob:

Thank you Ratch for your kind comment.

What a post.. both superbly executed models Stix.. I think I prefer the Airfix Vb for some reason (perhaps the u/c issue with the Tamiya having an effect? -idk). I really like your backdrop too, very effective.(may I ask which variety of grass you use?)

I have the Airfix Vb to build next, yours is a great reference point- any issues to look out for?

regards, Dave

Hi Dave. Thank you and I know what you mean about the Airfix one and good luck with yours. I look forward to seeing it. With regards issues; there are a few - the front cockpit cover is a bit of a tight fit and has caused some people problems - it fitted perfectly on mine however. In fact a few of the joins between some parts are very tight so it's best not to get any paint on them. The joint for the undercarriage legs - in the wheel well area is terrible - I re-did mine using wire. There are a few fasteners missing from parts of the cowlings too. If you check through my thread as you're building yours these issues are covered by me and some of the real Spitfire experts on BM.

The grass on the baseboard is a mix of Woodlands Scenics and Gaugemaster with tufts from Continental Model Railway Scenics.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Excellent work Stix. There's only one thing better than a Spitfire, and that's two Spitfires. Really great builds. I like the base, looks really good. Joe

Excellent work Stix. There's only one thing better than a Spitfire, and that's two Spitfires. Really great builds. I like the base, looks really good. Joe

Hi Joe. Thank you for your very kind comments. Got to agree with you about Spitfires and I've got another two to build for the Battle of Britain Group Build in a few of weeks time. This time it will be the Airfix (new tool) and Tamiya Mk.I versions. Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1