Tornado F.3 1/48 Airfix finished ### 31-7-2015 ###

Hi guys, I have been bussy the last couple of days. The pictures will make everything clear.

The first picture is of putting the fuselage together with some clamps to get the front fuselage closed up properly. I also had a problem with the seam behind the wing slut. I read in a different build about two tabs placed by the new Revell kit. so I used some plastic tabs myself and it worked great!!!

IMG_2247_zpsffxjqntx.jpg

And here are some pictures of removing the middle beam in the canopy. I started with scraping away the beam with a scalpel.

IMG_2248_zpsigw0dwsa.jpg

and after sanding it flush with some sanding sticks.

IMG_2249_zps1dakojyq.jpg

And here are the pictures during the polishing up the canopy.The set used was one bought a few years ago at telford from Little cars (?!).

The set.

IMG_2250_zpsvbqfmjv0.jpg

And the canopy in the early stage till the last with 12000 grid.

IMG_2251_zpsolxkykzh.jpg

IMG_2252_zps83okd7cr.jpg

IMG_2253_zpsumpctnjl.jpg

IMG_2254_zps1p44fsei.jpg

The last picture is as you can see almost clear, but just not there jet. So I polished the canopy with some tooth paste.

IMG_2255_zpse2b16lzc.jpg

And the canopy after with the wind screen as refference. As you can see is there still a difference.

IMG_2256_zpswqcs0doh.jpg

So out came the Klear to dip.

IMG_2257_zps6nai5mw8.jpg

And the result. Not bad at all.

IMG_2258_zpsjm4pcaw3.jpg

I also improved the Sidewinder rails by removing the original ones and place some from 2 left over builds of the Hasegawa F-104.

IMG_2260_zpspjkzvnlf.jpg

IMG_2259_zpsyez8y8mg.jpg

IMG_2261_zpsvarpdgkk.jpg

IMG_2262_zpsc0knz4ut.jpg

Here are some pictures of the cockpit after the closing of the fuselage.

IMG_2263_zpsat8bozpe.jpg

IMG_2264_zpskvaxevz5.jpg

IMG_2265_zpspqcv6tor.jpg

The cockpit sealed of for all the cleaning up to do on the fuselage.

IMG_2266_zpsjjxnagyy.jpg

After all the seams were done it was time to place the intakes. They are not perfect, but with some dry fitting and looking where the problems are I got them on. And only a few seams needed to atted to.

IMG_2267_zpsi5glucrg.jpg

seams after cleaning up. My filler for all the seams is super glue with baking powder.

IMG_2268_zpsrd7x5wsi.jpg

I also changed the elevators for ease of painting later on.

IMG_2272_zpslnztc26o.jpg

And here I have placed the tail. I think that there will be some work in this to get a good seam with thetop fuselage. I also placed 2 braces inside to get a better seam on the sides.

IMG_2269_zps5pgzzzec.jpg

And some test fitting of wings and elevators.

IMG_2271_zps8wtp69lr.jpg

IMG_2270_zpshw1dah72.jpg

And finally the canopie and windshield placed.

IMG_2273_zpsgbiduo2c.jpg

And this is how she is now. I am quite proud of what already has been done. She looks now like a propper Tornado.

IMG_2274_zps22gryimo.jpg

Phew, that was a big update. Most of the difficult work is done and she comes closer to the painting stage.

The next update will come in about 1 1/2 week when I have my evening shift and I can build in the morning.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Thanxs guys,

The next stage will be to blend in the back of the canopie and to rescribe a new panelline on the canopie. I find this quite nerve wracking to do. Hope I don't do a slip up that will ruin the canopie. After that it will be masking of the canopie and then she is nearly ready for some paint. There are also some small things to do befor we get to that stage. Hopefully I can paint her next week.

Cheers,

• Like 2

After doing a lot of small stuff, I think she is ready for some paint. I hope to do some tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of what hase been done lately. Most are from the correction of the canopie.

The start of correcting the canopie. The first thing to do is to erase the panel line and make a new one.

IMG_2275_zpsu0huwg56.jpg

the first masking for the removing of the panel line

IMG_2276_zpsqomx43rm.jpg

and starting of the sandingdown.

IMG_2277_zpswwroynqs.jpg

IMG_2278_zpsgdcglerq.jpg

And after sanding and removing I started to do some serious masking.

the start

IMG_2281_zpskntbcacx.jpg

You can also see that there are some panels rescribed into the canopie.

IMG_2282_zpsonm28z8d.jpg

IMG_2283_zpsndrem9xu.jpg

The masking done. Later i placed the back masking more forward. No picture of that-

I also did some work on the tail fin. the base of the fin was smaller than the top fuselage.

the seam between the fin and top fuselage.

IMG_2279_zpsnobhbqif.jpg

and after doing some work on it.

IMG_2280_zpsfpfndhfy.jpg

And some pictures of all the small parts including the missiles.

IMG_2289_zpswwy6kxqh.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsv4ywv4vo.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsigivrger.jpg

IMG_2292_zpseruhbeuh.jpg

The sidewinders are from a hasegawa Harrier Gr 7 and the Sparrows/Sky missiles are from a Hasegawa Phantom. They aren't the best, but more than enough for this model. The Airfix ones are not that good.

And that is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Great work on the canopy, and great work everywhere else. Always good to see people work wonders with these older kits.

Muzz

• Like 1

Thanxs Muzz.

I could have done more work, but than it wouldn't come to the finishing stage and end on the shelf of shame.

Here is again a update. I painted the two main colors today. Here are the pictures.

The pre shading.

IMG_2293_zpsoelqv0ie.jpg

IMG_2294_zpstwbe1cvq.jpg

IMG_2296_zps85wedlgh.jpg

IMG_2297_zpsq7uompf6.jpg

and a picture of the after canopie with some paint on. no seam to see anymore. :yahoo:

IMG_2295_zpsfbtxlml5.jpg

And some pictures after spraying the light aircraft grey (Gunze H332).

IMG_2299_zpsfs6xvehq.jpg

IMG_2298_zpsaspp8pqj.jpg

and after masking this of.

IMG_2310_zpsteocqgbu.jpg

And finaly after painting the Barley Grey (Gunze H334).

IMG_2311_zpsn8arzmk4.jpg

IMG_2312_zpspaeqexnn.jpg

IMG_2313_zpsyl0duvai.jpg

IMG_2314_zps3m51fmfq.jpg

IMG_2315_zpsiecbb1dl.jpg

Now it needs to have some good drying time overnight. Tomorrow I will seal this with a coat of Klear and then I can paint the nose, exhaust, etc.

She looks better than I could have thought. I am quite happy.

Cheers,

• Like 1

nice progress!

do you have, by any chance some more photos of your cockpit?

I am not so sure about the stick in the front, and even less so for the rear cockpit!

need some inspiration !

nice progress!

do you have, by any chance some more photos of your cockpit?

I am not so sure about the stick in the front, and even less so for the rear cockpit!

need some inspiration !

Thanxs.

I haven't got more pictures. Sorry. I have used the stick of a F-104 that was in my sparebox the same for the back seat. I there made a small shelf for placing it. It was more like a joystick. It was a little bit with artistic licence to let it look bussy.

If you google tornado F3 cockpit than you get a few pictures.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Here are a few pictures of the painting of some small things. It looks more and more like a nice Tornado.

some masking of the wheelbays and nose.

IMG_2321_zps5hfl6hwz.jpg

and the wings

IMG_2322_zpshi01aalp.jpg

and here are the results.

IMG_2323_zpsvbmoanwg.jpg

IMG_2324_zps97uwuuep.jpg

IMG_2325_zpselnfosuo.jpg

and also the missiles done.

IMG_2326_zpsoquqisxg.jpg

There is still some more painting to be done like the exhaust area, some panels etc.Before I can start putting some decals on. Whitch weren't with the kit, so there will not be much stencilling on it.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 6

nice paint work!

good idea actually to paint the inner wings now... in may case before assembly!

:)

Thanxs.

That was why I changed the wings. To make it easier to paint.

Cheers,

I have put some decals on today. The decals are from a old xtradecal sheet. I used some of the 11(F) squadron.

Decause when I bought the kit quite a few years ago there were no decals in it. I have managed to use some stencilling from a old decalsheet from Italeri for a tornado IDS. They can't all be used, but enough to make it look ok.

I will try to put on some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,

Here are the pictures .

IMG_2343_zpshzshcpa6.jpg

IMG_2344_zps1d9rosao.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsixoy4zjf.jpg

IMG_2346_zps9n6he824.jpg

As you may have noticed I have used a wrong black decal for the elevators, but that was the only one that looked ok to me. A red or Pink one wasn´t a option.

The elevators and wings.

IMG_2348_zpsfriapjk8.jpg

IMG_2347_zpsmfiuikfu.jpg

I have put on some klear on the decals.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4