Tornado F.3 1/48 Airfix finished ### 31-7-2015 ###

I have never new Merv, but I think he will be proud to see a GB in commemoration of him.

I am not a Tornado builder, but I want to try it for Merv. I have a model of the Airfix 1/48 Tornado F.3 in my stash for quite a wile. It's the ancient boxing without the updates. I hope I can do it justice.

I have been rescribing here a few weeks back for this. It's not high stand, but looks a lot better than the raised panel lines.

Here are some pictures of the box content with some goodies for it.

IMG_2070_zpseahtkdb0.jpg

IMG_2071_zpssl4fhblt.jpg

IMG_2073_zps1iuz1pop.jpg

IMG_2074_zpsp6sy6mbg.jpg

IMG_2075_zpsnxu9bzuj.jpg

IMG_2076_zpserxgidwd.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

cool!

one of these ancient, quite outdated kits!

I will do another one, with the updates! will try to cram in some more modern aftermarket parts designed for other kits as well......

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have done some work on her this evening. I glued the wings and tail together and done some preps for installing the PE in the cockpit.

The PE is original for the Italeri kit and that is quite differnt than this one, so I will have to do some extra work to get it to fit.

Cheers,

Finally some pictures. This was all work done on Thursday.

Here is a picture of the instrument panels. top the original from the kit and below the etch versions. As you can see there is no resemblance at all.

I will need to reshape the original to make it look right. Also the side consoles are totally different. I will need to use some plastic sheet to correct it.

IMG_2097_zpswpqffo3t.jpg

Here is a picture of the cockpit with the already removed top console for the navigator witch will be replaced in etch.

IMG_2095_zpssgzvaaso.jpg

Here are the wings changed a bit (a la Hasegawa F-14) so I can place them later in the build. This will make life easier for painting.

IMG_2098_zpsmvxmzyoa.jpg

And finally some pictures of a dryfit of all the main components.

IMG_2092_zpsffm71zwj.jpg

IMG_2093_zpssnd3b9f2.jpg

IMG_2094_zpssklvurzm.jpg

I have read some horror stories about this kit about the fit. But it looks to be OK with mine.

Cheers,

• Like 3

And some more pictures of what hase been done today. I have concentrated myself on the cockpit. It's not perfect, but better than it was.

Still needs to do some more, before I can paint it.

the start with one side done.

IMG_2113_zps8ps86abf.jpg

and thats two. You can also see the start of the instrument panel.

IMG_2114_zpsj7hhlrik.jpg

and made some strenghtening on the instrument panel.

IMG_2115_zpswkwgcrfh.jpg

And finished for some paint.

IMG_2116_zpsajemal7p.jpg

And the navigators panel done after removing the top and side parts.

IMG_2118_zpsx5oyhfat.jpg

And this is the cockpit after putting on the sidepanels.

IMG_2119_zpsi6otbxuy.jpg

You may have noticed the plastic for the backseat. This was needed otherwise the seat would have been sitting to low and wouldn't look right.

Here are two pictures of some dry fitting.

IMG_2120_zpsn5axptnl.jpg

IMG_2121_zpsngjg70p4.jpg

That is all for now.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Nice start, but please be aware that whoever did the tooling drawings for this kit cocked up in spades. The navigator's cockpit is around 2 scale feet too long.

The bloke(s) who designed the kit took the rear of the cockpit to be in the same place relative to the engine intakes as on the GR.1 where, in fact, it is further forward due to the fuselage plug which contains an additional fuel tank and the extra length needed to accommodate the forward Skyflash installation. I tried dealing with this but the project got shelved due to a house move and hasn't yet resurfaced.

If you're doing it with the canopy shut a new rear bulkhead and a careful paint job on the canopy might do, but if you're going for an open canopy you may want to try to get hold of a GR.1 canopy, which will entail extending the dorsal spine forward as well as the new bulkhead.

I like your wing mod; I've got an Italeri F.3 to do and I think you've just made my life easier!

• Like 2

Nice start, but please be aware that whoever did the tooling drawings for this kit cocked up in spades. The navigator's cockpit is around 2 scale feet too long.

The bloke(s) who designed the kit took the rear of the cockpit to be in the same place relative to the engine intakes as on the GR.1 where, in fact, it is further forward due to the fuselage plug which contains an additional fuel tank and the extra length needed to accommodate the forward Skyflash installation. I tried dealing with this but the project got shelved due to a house move and hasn't yet resurfaced.

If you're doing it with the canopy shut a new rear bulkhead and a careful paint job on the canopy might do, but if you're going for an open canopy you may want to try to get hold of a GR.1 canopy, which will entail extending the dorsal spine forward as well as the new bulkhead.

I like your wing mod; I've got an Italeri F.3 to do and I think you've just made my life easier!

Thanxs for that. :goodjob: After seeing some pictures I now know what you mean.

That will be another job to do. :banghead: I will have the canopie closed so I think it's ok.I will try to move the navigator forward.

I knew it was going to easy after all the horror stories.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Here are the wings changed a bit (a la Hasegawa F-14) so I can place them later in the build. This will make life easier for painting.

IMG_2098_zpsmvxmzyoa.jpg

That's a terrific idea!

• Like 1

After doing some work the last couple of days are here some foto's. I have moved the rear bulkhead forward after the info from stever219. that was the easy bit. later in the build I will have to do some work on the canopie as well.I have placed some more etch. It isn't perfect, but better than straight from the box.

the bulkhead moved.

IMG_2124_zpsbqaszvbu.jpg

IMG_2125_zpsdtohf34e.jpg

IMG_2126_zpsyav6gvvz.jpg

and some etch plased for the backseater.

IMG_2129_zpsgvusjkmm.jpg

IMG_2128_zpssz2d4mbr.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsqbcto3zo.jpg

and a finall fit.

IMG_2130_zps97sgsu5l.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsk62jsifl.jpg

And I have made a box from some leftover resin.

IMG_2132_zpsddjzt7m2.jpg

that's it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 4

ok..... now I understand what they changed (tried to correct) with the new tooled, recessed upper fuselage!

thanks! hope this info will be applicable on mine as well...

• Like 1

Here are a few pictures of what has been done lately.

I have been modified the gun insert. Original it is only a reces in the kit.

made a hole for fitting of the gun barrel.

IMG_2151_zpsyupzkhji.jpg

the gun barrel made from some brass tubing and some winded wire.

IMG_2150_zpslsuzvi7o.jpg

and placed in the reces.

IMG_2153_zpsr8zzftxf.jpg

Maybee not perfect, but better than nothing.

here are the exhausts with the etch placed.

IMG_2156_zpsjabgjunm.jpg

And a few pictures of the cockpit painted with the first colour.

IMG_2157_zpsmivpa25k.jpg

IMG_2158_zpscvyftrzq.jpg

IMG_2159_zpsswkiu5rz.jpg

I have also done a wash and some dry brushing today. After this it will be time to do some detail painting.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Hi Guys,

I have don some work today. I have detail painted the cockpit and drilled out some exhausts and put some holes for the APU exit and 2 others for the engines?! I have made some pictures but no time to put them on. I will try to do that tomorrow.

Cheers,

And here are some pictures.

The modification to the after fuselage.Some panels removed and boxed in with some plastic card. There was some etch for this, but I find that to flimsy and difficult to glue.

The APU exhaust?! I am not a expert on modern jets, so it's more of a guess than that I realy now it.

IMG_2229_zpslvaw9sjy.jpg

IMG_2230_zpsrwbjqpr0.jpg

IMG_2231_zpsjmhrdmnn.jpg

and some different exhausts?! for the engines.

IMG_2232_zps2kgvcgon.jpg

IMG_2246_zpskvv7k1c0.jpg

some cooling exhausts?! opend up.

IMG_2233_zpskk0jvnld.jpg

IMG_2234_zpsqc06u84l.jpg

IMG_2235_zpstpnzlrb3.jpg

IMG_2236_zps81gzsoli.jpg

And here are some pictures of the detail painting of the cockpit.

IMG_2241_zps3ym1o037.jpg

IMG_2238_zps4pxvnmem.jpg

IMG_2239_zpszhspcg6v.jpg

IMG_2240_zpszirs95w6.jpg

And some pictures of the Painted seats.

IMG_2245_zpsuohg9z2s.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsvzl49d6j.jpg

IMG_2243_zps37wzejyd.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsczfalcmv.jpg

I will close the fuselage today, modefy the cockpit glass and dip it in Klear.

And that is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4