Kinetic 1/48 Grumman A-6E Intruder TRAM

Greetings Wingy thingy people,

I'm normally found lurking in the floaty thingy forum but I bought this kit from SHAR2 a couple of weeks ago, I was just going to wait until it was ready for RFI but the kit has a couple of minor issues that I'd like to share so a WIP seems the best way to go.

I cannot due sprue shots because there is very little left still attached but I can take a pic of the box lid if you guys want!

I did the usual thing of removing all the larger components and banding them together for the initial 'Look at wot I have got' bit. Straight away there are a couple of wing fit issues. The fuselage to wing join is pushed high due to a thick step in the wing root. The two halves of the elevators need quite a bit of thinning. There are a couple of short shots. The trailing edge of the main wing scales out to about 100mm thick and so on.

I'll go through a few other bits as the build progresses.

Bad kit? Nope, it's a lovely kit, I'm well impressed by it and the few minor issues that are present don't change a thing. All I will say is that it is not a kit that can be thrown together in an afternoon.

DSC_0510_zpsyljowmie.jpg

The pencil line and hatching are denoting the area that will need to be sanded away to bring the wing in line with the fuselage join.

DSC_0524_zpsjn6aqldr.jpg

I'm using a flat steel strip with some self adhesive 150 grit sandpaper to grind this lump down until the wing sits right.

DSC_0516_zpsnf9kaqft.jpg

Sorry about the focus issue, but you can see the step in the two halves of the elevator.

DSC_0515_zps6aibucpa.jpg

It took about 10 minutes of sanding and dry fitting above to end up with the picture below!

DSC_0521_zpshvvqbbzc.jpg

Labour intensive but I wanted to preserve the surface detail!

Next we have that trailing edge on the main wing, Both inner and outer wing sections are the same, I have the Eduard wing fold set which has detail panels for the edge of the fold and when I fix them in place I will sand the upper and lower surfaces of the wings to suit those!

DSC_0513_zpsuu6tlces.jpg

Next we have one of the short shots in the kit, this one is the guide rail behind the pilots bang seat, plastic strip will replace that after I've removed what's there at the moment. It should look like the far away rail.

DSC_0511_zpsfxqklky5.jpg

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm building this at work during my lunch breaks so it'll be weekend posts, but I haven't posted with you aircraft boys before so do you want me to continue with this as a build thread? would you find it useful? Or would it be best to just build the thing and post the completed model when done?

Cheers for now.

Jockster.

• Like 2

No worries gents, hopefully my photography will improve for some better shots of what's going on.

The extras, by the way, are Eduard's cockpit, wingfold, exterior, undercarriage and avionics bay sets. First time I've actually used their detail sets and so far I'm rather impressed! Seems to me to be etched copper plated with nickel? Would that be right?

Plus some bits by some guy called Jockster. The canopy jack for starters as the kit molding is at an angle for the injection molding process and looks like a series of slash cut cylinders. To the lathe we go!

Cheerzen!

Already there Crisp, cutting off bits, scraping bits, breaking and losing bits in the finest traditions of BM! I've even been taking picturemagraphs to put on the computamatelly! Getting a bit less technophobic as each decade passes!

• Like 1

Kinetic do seem to have a good range, but I built their UAE F16 last year & it was just a dog, tragically it suffered a loss of control at about first floor window level & it was lost. Consequently I've avoided them since, so I'll be interested on your experience here.

• Like 1

Looking good Kev. Good to see some modelling going on here rather than just putting things together. :thumbsup:

Well, I thought I'd better do something decent with this or risk getting spanked next time we meet! :bleh:

Kinetic do seem to have a good range, but I built their UAE F16 last year & it was just a dog, tragically it suffered a loss of control at about first floor window level & it was lost. Consequently I've avoided them since, so I'll be interested on your experience here.

It's my first Kinetic kit Simon, and so far I'm fairly pleased with it, only time will tell mate! (Haven't forgotten the Enterprise stuff but the boss has been hanging around the photocopier lately!)

• Like 1

Anyway, back to business. my OP was to see if you guys were interested in a WIP, so I'll start properly with Biggles Office in the true tradition of aircraft modeling. It's also easier to fit it before the fuselage halves go together.

So I've already mentioned the Eduard set, the short shot seat rail and the canopy jack. Time to get to work, here are the four main pieces, instrument details scraped off ready for the Eduard sticky bits. The short shot seat rail has been removed and tidied up.

DSC_0547_zpsbgrcsujn.jpg

The Pilots seat rails are a little deeper than the bomb planters, the other rail is a separate piece and very handy too as a template!

DSC_0549_zpsaja5oq1t.jpg

The main part of the rail from 0.5mm card and the little stiffener from 0.15mm card. Followed by the rail in place! (that pic won't upload for some reason!)

Then I decided to remove the canopy jack and the large pipe next to it. Please excuse the bits of tobacco, I was rolling a ciggy when I took the pic, very untidy!

DSC_0552_zpszke0dsix.jpg

That's it for tonight, I'm deciding whether or not to remove the 'floor' from this piece or just add pipework on top. Sorry it's a bit rushed but swmbo has just walked past with one of those looks! :bouncy:

Cheers for now folks!

Back again, hopefully with the rest of the pictures that were for my last post!

First up we're back to the seat rail and tub. The following two shots are of the replacement rail and the position of the two seats. As Phildagreek says, the pilots seat should be further forward and higher than the bomb droppers. Kinetic got it right as far as having the pilot further forward but both seats are the same height. I plan on padding the floor under the pilots seat with the same 0.5mm card that I used for the rail. The Bombardiers seat and floor will be ground down by about the same to hopefully have a combined difference of 1mm.

The new rail in place:

DSC_0553_zpsn7uxiexf.jpg

And the current seating position courtesy of Kinetic: The pilots seat rails are deeper.

DSC_0558_zpsf4xudf5m.jpg

Now back to what I intended to post on the canopy jack area. This is the part minus the Jack and the large pipe to starboard.

DSC_0551_zps5rhoxwmr.jpg

Eduards details for this area include this service box B and a detail cover C which are supposed to sit on top of the kit part A after scraping some of the detail off.

DSC_0554_zpsoewcu1lk.jpg

I think that this has the whole box sitting too high above the surrounding details (I think Eduard meant to instruct the total removal of the kit box). The few reference pictures I've found seem to say I've got the right idea so I'm just going to use the detailed cover on top of the kit molding as shown below along with the etched panel suround sitting in place. I've also removed the bracket for the jack too as this was molded slightly to port of centre and again, my references indicate that this should be on the centreline.

DSC_0557_zpsyxhevjm0.jpg

The area marked with the pencil hatching is the bit I'm in two minds about. Do I lay some details on top of this as it is or remove it all and start from scratch? I think that I may sand it all from underneath until I breakthrough to the detail side to hopefully preserve some of the kit detail still present! Gonna sleep on this!

All this should have been on my earlier post, seems to have worked this time.

A little bit more blurb on the kit now. To me, this kit has been designed by two guys. The first guy I'm going to call Mr Love it. He's into the job, he builds models himself and has given us what we want. Some nice details and good fits. He has given us a separate turbine blade part with two halves of the exhaust tube. Wheels with separate split tyres. Good cockpit detail and wingfold mechanism and a lot of other nice bits.

Next we have Mr When's lunch? He just isn't interested. He designed the extra thick wings, the nose gear doors molded with the bay sides as a single piece, The main gear legs without the second mounting lugs they should have, the Fans molded as part of the intake trunking. He obviously doesn't care about this kit, it's just a job!

Thankfully Mr Love it has been responsible for the majority of the design of the kit which means that this is going to be more enjoyment than heartache.

I hope this post has been more worthwhile than my previous one. It's amazing just how much I can get done in my half hour lunch break when people just leave me the hell alone! With any luck I shall be able to post a bit more tomorrow night.

All the best.

• Like 1

The Intruder just barked!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings people,

First off, the kit barked, another short shot prompting me to scour the remaining parts on the kit for more, but it is only this last piece with a problem. And it has to be canopy!

DSC_0599_zpsrfnhmsnq.jpg

This is it on the top edge of the frame. Have not found any more so the rest of the build should be ok.

Back to the cockpit. Test fitting the cockpit into the fuselage didn't seem to work, the tub and jack piece wouldn't settle flush with the canopy sills until I realised that i had been designed to sit lower! Aha! Now it makes sense but more work for me.

DSC_0582_zps1pkmwr6c.jpg

I want it to look a bit more like this;

DSC_0605_zpstfyzbrep.jpg

So out with my trusty needle on a stick and scribed the Canopy sill outline onto the jack panel. Doing it this way should mean that the Eduard large panel for here will cover up the join line!

DSC_0593_zpssxf00l8p.jpg

Trimmed to fit and with the Eduard panel sitting in place I get what I want. Blu-tac has been very handy for holding everything in place while I've been checking the fit.

DSC_0629_zpsf0rrqbcf.jpg

When the tub and jack panel are all glued into place, the Eduard panel will cover the join quite nicely.

My scalpel seemed to slip repeatedly during this process and I ended up cutting a lot of detail away. The jack panel ended up like this before reworking it;

DSC_0621_zpsvu9itefs.jpg

A little bit of adjustment to the sides of the tub for a better fit.........

DSC_0601_zpss0wnsycb.jpg

And the mounting under the floor needed some fettling to remove the twist in the tub against the fuselage; The two offset slots (arrowed) sit on top of the intake blanks but were creating a clockwise twist to the floor so some extra work required to straighten it out!

DSC_0576_zps1b0vymez.jpg

Some of the sidewall detail had to be removed from the fuselage sides too;

DSC_0568_zpsxephssee.jpg

Using a pair of dividers to keep the cockpit tub straight while glueing! Using a fixed centreline point I can ensure that the rear bulkhead sits square on both sides of the cockpit sill.

DSC_0630_zpsejdcz80n.jpg

Plus I've been fiddling elsewhere....

Starting work on the wingfold area. One thing I have learned from ship modeling is not to cut photoetch tags off when they can be used as locating pins! This should stop the hinge being a fragile part of the build succeptable to breaking at the slightest touch.

DSC_0615_zpsxlqk2ku3.jpg

Voila! A more secure joint than just the part by itself, simply drill some locating holes!

DSC_0617_zpsbupgqufv.jpg

Hollowed out some of the fuselage air intakes.

DSC_0619_zpsj8bki4mw.jpg

Finally, some Harpoons and fuel tanks.

DSC_0566_zpsfdzvzk21.jpg

DSC_0567_zpscm17fsfq.jpg

More to come soon, I hope this is what you guys are after.

• Like 1

Blimey you've had to put some work on this, but it's great to see some proper modelling. I'm a bit embarrassed about selling you the kit with so many faults, I never noticed them when I bought it, otherwise I would have sent it back. Keep up the good work.

Don't worry about that Dave, no embarrassment to be felt, it's only when building do these short shots show up. I must get in touch with Kinetic to see if I can get a replacement canopy part. No real biggie if I can't, just rework this bit.

It is still a lovely kit, lots of nice detail and most of it fits very well. The two halves of the fuselage go together with almost no cleaning up! I'm very happy that I bought it from you mate!

I meant to add that I also thinned down the wings a bit due to their chunky nature but could only go as thin as the profile of the Eduard end pieces. That was a LOT of sanding!

Greetings gentlemen,

@ Av8fan, I'll do a round up at the end with all the work needed (including a list of the damaged pieces) so hopefully that'll help. :book:

@ Simon, no blood yet and very little swearing so far, I'm enjoying the build, I'm considering either the Kinetic Prowler or Harrier next. :hmmm:

Kinetic do need someone better designing the instructions though! They can be a little confusing! :hypnotised:

• Like 2