Bloch MB 200, scratch conversion from KP Avia MB 200, 1/72

Hi,

Completing posts of my French archive shelf - Bloch MB 200. Well - have to tell this. She was ugly. She was perhaps even more than ugly... But the bombers from early 1930 all were ugly - Dornier Do Y, Boulton Paul Sidestrand, HP Heyefors, etc.. - they all looks very strange today.

The model was scratch converted from Kovozavody Prostejov kit of licence-build in Czecholovakia Bloch 200, named there Avia MB 200 (or Aero MB 200, since small amount was also produced by Aero, main production was in Avia). The main difference between original Bloch and licence one Avia MB 200 is no nose - Avia has just a sloped nose, whereas original Bloch MB 200 has a step nose - initially flat, then sloped. There are some differences in engines as well. I was tying to catch all differeces and made them properly.

Here are drawings for Aero MB 200

http://www.cs-letectvi.cz/letadla/aero-mb-200

And here for MB 200

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/bloch200_3v.jpg

My Bloch 200 is in markings of Vichy AF in Syria, unknown (at least for me) unit, about 1940-42. She was used for transport purposes, and due to general regulation with Germans she had removed all MG from turrets.

I made this model some 10 years ago.

Comments welcome and I hope you will like her despite her ugly design

cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Here she is:

mb200 DSC04353mb200 DSC04354mb200 DSC04355

mb200 DSC04356mb 200 DSC04357mb 200 DSC04359mb200 DSC04358

mb200 DSC04360

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 16

Well - Amiot, Bloch and there was also a Potez 540. Some 50 years ago I have read a beautiful opinion on them in one of the very first books by Bill Green and Gordon Swanborough. IIRC it was said, that this trio "came from the period, when any tie between aerodynamics and a French bomber was a pure coincidence". Fantastic!

• Like 1

All these French bombers were developed in late 20s/early 30s, when such squared fuselages were still OK. Compare them to TB-3 or British or German (Do-23, Ju-52) designs. Problem is that French bombers reached production only by mid 30s and were still in front-line service at the outbreak of war. At that time they were definitely non-aerodynamic, inefficient and yes - ugly.

• Like 1

How is it that I knew it was French without even looking at the roundels...?

Oh wait, that's how:

mehari.jpg

Neat build with a busy camouflage finish there, Jerzy. Did you brush paint the yellow as well? It looks flawless, and we all know what an easy, forgiving colour it is...

• Like 1

Thank you Gents for comments.

Bonehammer - yes, all paints were applied using brush, including yellow. This one I applied three or perhaps even four times as very diluted with thinner (Humbrol emales). It looks, that Citroen Mehari is from the same school of design.

Dennis - I completly agree with you, Indeed this aesthetic problem comes from fact, that in leading countries similar old machines where already withrawn from operational service. But for example in Yugoslavian Dornier Do-Y was still in use during campign in April 1941, similar in Hungary in schools Do 23 was still in 1942...In Poland we had LWS Zubr, more modern, but still ugly:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PZL.30.jpeg

Carius - spacial thanks for greetings from Brazil

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Not the most aerodynamic plane the French ever built and flew, but it must have had its use nonetheless... Slightly embarrassing, but France did not have the monopoly of weird-looking aircraft!

I find it charming, but that's just me.

Great build and paint job!!!

Super!

JR

• Like 1

How is it that I knew it was French without even looking at the roundels...?

Oh wait, that's how:

mehari.jpg

Hi Bonehammer,

what's that?!

Is it a jazzed up Mehari, the sweetheart great grand child of the superb 2 Cv?

Shame on the Gauls!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thank you Jean for comment - I agree - from 1920. and early 1930. there are numbers of ugly or more ugly machines. And French here are not unique in any way.

Cheers

J-W

Is it a jazzed up Mehari, the sweetheart great grand child of the superb 2 Cv?

Yup - based on the Dyane chassis, so great-grandchild indeed.

Man, JWM, I could have sworn the yellow was sprayed on. Magnifique!

• Like 1

Thank you Darby for comment. Regarding interwar lumps used in WWII - I do not know really, why there is no kit of Vickers Valentia, I mean an injection kit. By Airfix or Revell, 1/72. That would be nice model. The Contrail one is I think hard to get...And to build then also, but this is different story.

Cheers

J-W