+++FINISHED+++The other Tims Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 - Arctic Cam - 13 Sqn RAF

This will be my initial build - been gazumped on the Winter Cam, so may change, will see....possibly to the all Gloss Black 'The Saint'

3B9D1AEB-FFEE-4E91-8D4B-CB026F8C3A34_zps

pic_76_zpsmjoujnrr.jpg

152109-1_zps5xwhieoo.jpg

Time will tell!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Nice one. 13 Sqn also had an aircraft in the winter camo scheme. The code letter was "M" and you do have the Sqn markings on the decal sheet, but I am not sure about the code letter. This scheme replaced the Dk Grey with white so the scheme is still different.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Thanks Jabba - what was the scheme, Green and white like this one?

scan0042-1_zpsxu6xnrqe.jpg

I think the Sqn Markings at the front are different? An idea though, sure I can get some 13 Sqn, correct serial and an M from somewhere!

Edited by Tim Moff

Also has the 9 for the serial but not the 2 or the M! Have to look at options! If anyone has any other 13 Sqn Serials/codes evidence of winter cam, be appreciated - or I may do the scheme but with a bit of poetic licence regarding the serial/code of the airframe!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/941149-airdecal-adts7226-wraparound-tornado-pt2

Edited by Tim Moff

I have been looking through my decal stash, and on my Op Telic Pt1 sheet is ZG729 in black and it does have the "M" code but this I think is in grey and slightly smaller than the normal code. You would like it let me know as I do have a spare.

Have ID this is ZA371 via a diecast model, circa 1995 (so would be Hindenburg tanks as post Gulf war 1991 - pic below looks like smaller tanks?)

Misc0016.jpg

AA33613_2.jpg

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/492/pics/9_54.jpg

For all you Tornado aficionados, a Q - as a rule of thumb, should it be small fuel tanks pre Gulf and hinders post Gulf 1?

So now 4 options that have been seen in Winter Cam!:

ZA592/C (dates unknown) and ZA371/C Norway 1995 , ZA401/R (dates unknown) (all 2 Sqn)

ZG279/M 1994, 13 Squadron

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4440687582_6ca21fdf68_o.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tim

Yes the larger tanks were fitted first for Op Granby in 90/91 and the aircraft in your photo is fitted with the original 1500lt tanks. By 1995 the larger tanks were appearing in the green/grey camo instead of the borrowed appearance of the Barley Grey tanks. There's a photo in one of my reference books of 2 Sqn GR1A winter camo fitted with the larger tanks which are painted all white.

My impression is the GR1A's were mostly, but not exclusively, seen carrying the smaller 1500lt tanks unless on deployment during the early/mid 90's. Possibly as they had the shoulder pylons free to carry extra tanks if required, just a thought.

Muzz

I know that in Op Granby most of the time the GR1As carried either 3 or 4 of the smaller tanks as their mission were pure recce ones. They did not carry the bigger and smaller tanks during these missions because they would be above acceptable weights for flying. Post Granby most of the pictures I have seen in books show them with either smaller tanks (up to 3 fitted) or just 2 bigger tanks. Hope this is of some help.

• Like 1

Worms - Can of - opened.........

OK so ZG729, ZA371 and ZA401 are GR1A's (all subsequently converted to GR4A's), whilst ZA592 is a GR1 (later upgraded to GR4).

So unless I stick with the MA decals and do the same with Alex I am going to need a conversion kit, for the Linescan cheek cameras and IRLS pod ?

Anyone have any suggestions if I go down this road?

Can't seem to find any Airwaves GR1a Recce packs

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/tornado-gr1a-recce-pack-sc72132-airwaves-sc72132-weaponry/product/?shopid=LM4d6bd1a94c8ca6485051849f66&action=prodinfo&parent_id=212&art=37972

Or Freight Dog - below don't seem to include Cheek Decals - any advice?

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27_29&products_id=831&osCsid=qncwvunzokulfm

All advice gladly accepted should I want to model a winter cam GR1a - thought I was getting there with some kind help decals wise!!

Possibly could try - that would be on the edge of my already limited skills!!!

Just normal foil?

Have to look at paint colours, appear to be a rusty colour!

Yes I remember - very cool! Thanks for the offer.

Will start tomorrow and look at the options!

Is it something that can be bought from model shops?

Will let you know - really helpful

Tim

Yes dude search for Bare Metal Foil. It comes in different shades of metals if that makes sense. Really easy to use, just cut slightly larger than needed then remove backing film, put on & rub gently into position. If over a panel then cut to panel size with a scapel. Also good for canopy masking, but don't leave it on too long.

PM me if you want a trial strip. ( make sure I can find it first)

Pretty sure I got mine on evil bay.

Edited by Hockeyboy76

As an afterthought Tim, the decal sheet you have should have a set of the windows with it on the second smaller sheet with the stencils?

Muzz