31 Sqn Goldstars GR.4 1/32

Just caught up with this, cracking work! The Terma pod looks spot on, I think a lot of work has gone into that, you should make and sell some resin copies :D!

I agree on your weathering approach too, imho too many models are weathered to death looking like they have been left out in sandstorms for 10 years, yours looks very convincing. When you get round to finishing this I think you'll need about 50 photos to really show all the details here, look forward to seeing it done!

Cheers,

David.

• Like 1

Great build so far!

Stephen

Thanks very much :lol:

One visit to the Nationals later, and my enthusiasm is rekindled! I reckon this will be finished within the week.

Flaps and slats are now fitted.

tn_DSCN4847.JPG

Looks very effective. Also fitted the ordnance, though waiting for the Brimstones from the casters. The drop tanks are dry-fitted to make sure everything clears the flaps.

Other miscellany:

tn_DSCN4848.JPG

This is a new comms or datalink antenna i think, it is on most of the Op Ellamy/Shader aircraft.

tn_DSCN4849.JPG

New TCAS receiver/transmitter under the nose where the old double aerials used to be

tn_DSCN4850.JPG

Little-cars lenses for landing lights

tn_DSCN4851.JPG

Spine strobe, TCAS and GPS

tn_DSCN4852.JPG

tn_DSCN4853.JPG

Nav lights done, needs a bit of tidying up!

So this is the state of play - flat coat applied, and looking ready for final touches.

tn_DSCN4855.JPG

Drop tanks now fitted:

tn_DSCN4856.JPG

Still have some painting and finishing touches to do, but this is definitely the final straight!

Thanks for looking in and sticking with the build for so long!

Al

• Like 2

Great job Al, the detail work is fantastic. Not far off finishing now.

Thank you very much John.

Really is nearly finished, I promise :innocent:

tn_DSCN4866.JPG

Bit blurry (autofocus loves the gridlines on the cutting mat) but the background colours of the chaff cartridges painted

tn_DSCN4867.JPG

Exhaust nozzles finished and fitted.

tn_DSCN4868.JPG

Didn't do a shot of the finished flaps, so here they are.

Done a lot of other small details, which makes for some very boring photos, so I'll save them till the end.

Hopefully the next shots will be the finished article.

Al

• Like 3

Hi all, just putting the final touches to the build.

Ejector seats finishing off and installing:

tn_DSCN4870.JPG

I think these are aircon hoses - adds some colour to the relentless grey!

tn_DSCN4871.JPG

Added an approximation of the arm and leg restraints to have something draped over the control column.

Seats installed:

tn_DSCN4874.JPG

tn_DSCN4875.JPG

tn_DSCN4876.JPG

tn_DSCN4879.JPG

tn_DSCN4881.JPG

It's all a bit overcrowded in there. Also the neatness has taken a dive in favour of completeness!

One final detail: LRMTS glazing.

tn_DSCN4872.JPG

One last fitting: the TERMA pod. For some reason my camera just doesn't like focusing on it!

tn_DSCN4882.JPG

And that's basically it kids! Just the canopy to fit (won't be a permanent fix for travelling purposes) and the building is complete. I'll have a good sweep over the model with references to hand just to make sure I haven't missed any details or decals, and the next you see will be in RFI :yahoo:

It's about time! I'll hope to be able to take some half decent pics of it as a sort of walkround and get cracking on the next thing - clue beneath!!

tn_DSCN4869.JPG

All the best, and thanks to the select few who followed to the end! Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 2

Well it's not quite finished, but here it is, now in RFI but I'll put a few snaps in the Gallery anyway.

Thanks very much to the diehards who supported the build to the very end: Cookenbacher, John nimrod54, Stephen and David mirageiv

All the very best,

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent build Alan! Your username change threw me a little and I missed the end of the build. I getting back to the bench now, and I'll have to get my F3 finished up as an even later completion.

Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to your F3, like I said I think it's one of the best builds in the GB :)