New 1/72 AS365 Dolphin/Dauphin from "DreamModel"

rotorheadtx

The graphic layout of the box top is "inspired" by Matchbox black boxings I believe. It's funny to see how companies try to buy themselves a past. Matchbox and Dream Model, KP and AZ Models, etc.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

I think ZJ165 has a different window configuration on the port side doesn't it? There is a small bulged window behind the rearmost window of the cabin that looks to be missing.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy today - fast service from China, I must say.

Comparing the parts to the Matchbox kit the sizes of the two models are within millimeters, so I guess it's safe to say that nobody got their scaling horribly wrong.

Eleven-blade large-diameter Fenstron, versus Mbox's thirteen-blade small diameter version. Boxed in nose-gear well and late-style main-gear wells with fixed covers.

The 'brow' of the windscreen is more squared-off in the new model, noticeable in the shape of the overhead windows. Looks better than the Mbox kit if compared to this image:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Special-Air-Services/Aerospatiale-SA-365N-1-Dauphin/1767642/L/ Matchbox's kit has a continuous curve, so more points to DM in this case.

Decals are very glossy, have minimal carrier film, and look like they will go down well. The RAF roundels were out of register in my copy, but the French and Chinese markings look good.

Overall, it looks like a winner in the box.

Awright lads, lets have a 565/Panther next, eh?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Awright lads, lets have a 565/Panther next, eh?

What exactly is needed to convert the DM kit into a 565 or Panther? Don't know too much choppers but I really like the French Navy attack version and the Israeli Navy version.

Is there some other kit in 1/72 that I can use to kitbash with the DM kit?

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Having had a chance to sit down and have a look at it today, both side rear cabin doors need some work for an RN version - the doors are flush on the kit, and the starboard side one bulges out on the RN examples. This is in addition to the extra/bluged window/door on the port side. In fact, the port side door might need a larger window as well..

Still better than matchbox!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

An USCG HH-65A/B Dolphin with PE fret including rescue basket has been released. Decals are included for both red and red-white scheme.

Moreover, a Chinese armed Z-9 is also available now. 

Edited by troschi

3 hours ago, cvrle said:

Does anyone know how accurate it is for a Coast Guard machine? Does it need minor/major/no work?

Cheers!

They tried to consider some of the differences with their PE parts. They include antennae, fuselage piping, some smaller other things, a rescue basket and hoist sling. 

Hoist, fuel jettison pipe and two other small parts are provided in resin.

The modeller has to fill the port aft window and door panel lines of the AS-365 on his own. I haven't done any measurements so far but I think the stbd aft cabin window should be larger with a HH-65. The modeler needs to remove/cut away the civilian sliding door rails.

The aft cabin is completely empty. The front seats are incorrect for a HH-65. 

IMHO major issue: Turbomeca engine housing and exhausts instead of the more bulgy lycoming engine tunnels and different exhaust section - not an easy fix. If you prefer a log nose HH-65C, then it's fine as long as you get a nose (Air Graphics - maybe soon)

decals are provided for an overall international orange one from operation Enduring Freedom with the large shark on the stbd engine. Futhermore you have the chance to model an aircraft in the old color scheme. For this anyway you will need gear well doors (not included) and another "Coast Guard" lettering which was bigger and without "U.S" but which is missing on the decal sheet. Despite the fact that the sheet provides all station names and a set of numbers to model your individual a/c it's not very convincing. This applies one the one hand for the representation of the shark (there is also a second one with a better grey included on a small correction sheet) and on the offer hand it's because of the inclompleteness. Not only the wrong titles as mentioned above but also missing " Coast Guard" lettering for the lower elevator surfaces. 

All in all it's a good starting point and definitely better than any other attempt with Matchbox/Revell but one has to invest a little effort.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...