Tornado Gr.1, Nr. 2 Squadron winter scheme, 1/72 Revell

Good afternoon,

I started my project, I will build a nr. 2 squadron Tornado. Decals are from Model Alliance, along with some PE-parts from Eduard, which are intended for hasegawas ADV-Tornado. I'll use whatever fits and looks good. And I also have two pavla bangseats.

1-start_zpsdkdlxekp.jpg

Alex

• Like 5

Check the scheme in the group thread - I was looking at doing this too, it appears the mode alliance l graphic of Port Camo has the colours incorrect, should be switched....gazumped again!

Make have to go for the saint! Good luck.

Edited by Tim Moff

I often start with the ordnance (just a strange habit). It will carry four 1000lb training bombs, along with small tanks, two sidewinder and the usual sky shadow/boz. I have noticed that the training bombs have one groove less than the live ones (guess because of the missing detonator?), so this had to be filled and sanded.

2-waffen_zpsqhestr6u.jpg

The Boz has been opened at the read end. It will get the interiour later on.

3-boz_zpshouijfuw.jpg

Cockpit parts have been airbrushed with humbrol medium sea grey. I cut away the pedals, as they will be replaced with PE parts.

4-cockpit1_zpstyvsssa2.jpg

And that's how the cockpit looked this morning. Floor was a mixture of leaf green and black (revell acrylics, paintbrushed). Instruments are painted with revell acrylics, mostly black and some yellow. I am a bit proud of the pilots warning lights: first I did a wash with highly diluted red oil colour (to fill the recessed lights), then a drybrush with grey, and in the end a washing with brown/black oil to bring out all the details. For me, it works better than trying to paint all the details. No resin, no decals. Some details like the cables or displays are still missing. Resin seats will be from pavla.

5-cockpit2_zpskod6xylp.jpg

@Tim: thanks for the tip, I'm following closely! ;)

Alex

• Like 5

Rear cockpit parts finished...

8-cockpithinten_zpswtt7yekg.jpg

completition starts. Please note the etched pedals - you won't see them anymore after the cockpit is finished...

7-montagecockpit_zps5lpmrjyy.jpg

Nose gear leg shortened a bit...

6-bugfahrwerk_zps93qrh6om.jpg

And the main gear bay. Just added a few things, boxes and cables.

9-fahrwerksschacht_zpsk7zgoglf.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

That's how the main gear bays look like after some painting

10-fahrwerksschacht2_zpswrayvgra.jpg

The APU exhaust was a little bit too deep into the fuselage, so I needed to rebuild the area with sheet.

11-apu1_zpsswgtckpv.jpg

I also extended it a bit on the inside.

12-apu2_zpskdtbn7o7.jpg

The holes of the middle fuselage pylon have been filled. I use some stretched sprue for that. I also opened the oil coolers. fuel coolers.

13-unterseite_zpszohryvjl.jpg

The nose gear bay is attached to the cockpit tub and is ready to be glued into the front fuselage section.

14-cockpit_zpsrbmo5dhm.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 4

lol - I can now see how that pilot bulkhead and WSO boxes are meant to go...mine is slightly different, instructions not too clear...too late now all sealed, will be in flight so not too worried...know next time!!

The nav lights have been painted chrome silver inside, and glued to the wings:

15-licht1_zps4hyz1jib.jpg

After sanding, it looks rather smooth.

16-licht2_zpsf6orcl4a.jpg

The seats from Revell, and Pavla. Revell's not bad, but Pavla is still better...

17-sitz1_zpsbieqgit1.jpg

And Pavla after a few colours. (WIP)

18-sitz2_zpswi39ong0.jpg

Intake has been airbrushed with MSG.

19-einlass1_zpsz8ngl2te.jpg

Fuselage intake is painted with some white.

20-einlass2_zpslfsiuzjm.jpg

AAR-Probe looks nice, but positionning is a bit tricky, as the locating holes are not very precise. You need checking some photos to get the correct position (and few rubberbands, to hold it firm until the glue has cured.

21-sonde_zpsrvua7ilo.jpg

Alex

• Like 2

just a small update... the front fuselage is attached to the main part. Dry fitting was excellent, but I still had to use some filler.

22-vorderrumpf_zpsn61ayjdf.jpg

And the first coloured parts. Bombs are Revell light blue and sea green, aquas. Panel lines will get some black washing at a later stage.

23-bemalteteile_zpsxcph7duz.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seats are glued into place with CA. They are too tall, so that the canopy wouldn't close anymore, so you have to sand 2-3mm at the bottom.

23-sitze_zpszpubxglm.jpg

The lens of the HUD has been made with transparent sprue. Milled to the right diameter, polished on top, and painted with gloss black. A shame you won't see it once finished. The HUD itself is from the kit.

24-hud_zpssk7pj2cr.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, time flies...

Today, I managed to mask the cockpit, intakes and the small pod underneath the fuselage (Laser?). Main wheel doors are glued in place with PVA, so I can avoid a lot of masking. Tomorrow the black parts like radome and preshading, then white, then grey. (and some metal parts for the exhaust)

25-masken1_zpsnocjv68k.jpg

26-masken2_zpsvgw3y5vs.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

DSG (Tamiya Acrylics) have been applied after the preshading. As usual, the preshading has almost vanished. Next step: masking the grey parts, and then the white colour.

27-preshading_zpswdtdh3bp.jpg

28-dsg_zpsbadhb5sa.jpg

Alex

• Like 1