1/48 Revell Tornado GR1 **FINISHED**

I'm building the 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS as a RAFG GR1A from 2 Sqn, seeing as this is a Group Build in tribute to Merv I wanted to build an example that had a connection with him. I therefore decided to build an RAF Germany airframe from a timescale in which Merv served as an armourer.

No pics yet as I'm currently on my iPad, will get photo's up tomorrow. It'll be finished in the green/grey camo with a three drop tank fit and probably a CBLS.

Back tomorrow with pics!

• Like 5

Cheers Shaun, yes bought the Flightpath kit many moons ago for the Italeri kit and still have the white metal part for that.The biggest problem has been getting the decals for the IR windows which are available on one sheet but I like the decals on another!

Ok, off and running, pic time;

020.jpg

I've got Shaun's pylons, clear LRMTS part and wing seals, the extra drop tank is from the Italeri F3 kit and also adding Eduards wheel set. Still not sure who's decals I'm going to use, as Shaun mentioned earlier MA seem to do the only set that comes with the side IR windows, however, a few of the photo's I've seen have the aircraft with part mod, the under fuselage bulge but no side windows so might go for this look, will have to decide.

No shortage of reference material;

image.jpg1_1.jpg

No problem.

I think only the MA sheet has the windows, maybe scribe them on?

Nice choice of colour scheme, i like the early 2Sqn with the large markings.

Shaun.

I have a template for the windows which came with the Flightpath set, so scribing is an option!

• Like 1

First update with progress, started on the cockpit on Saturday, I decided to do it OOB not much of a fan of colour PE cockpits and didn't really want to spend the money on a resin one although Neomega's GR1 cockpit looks cracking. Used some of the kits decals for the instruments but found the side consoles weren't really relevant so ditched them, started putting it together last night and before I knew it this happened........

image.jpg1_2.jpg

image.jpg2_1.jpg

The seam lines still need tidying up and the detail seems pretty light under the fuselage so I think some re-scribings going to be required.

• Like 2

Intake trunking and main gear bay installed, all pretty staight forward. A touch of magic putty on the inside of the intake trunking as not much will be seen, I hope!

20150608_170443.jpg

20150608_171354.jpg

The seam underneath he forward fuselage didn't take as much cleaning up as expected so most the details still intact.

20150608_170458.jpg

• Like 4

Great start with your build. I still need to start mine. :fraidnot:

Keep up the good work. I might be interested in the model for a future purchase.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Arnold and Shaun. Shaun that's exactly the thread I was about to go and look out as I remembered about the fix for the wing angle, so thanks for adding that off to look at it after this. Last update for today.......

20150608_211812.jpg

Side fuselage parts on, not a bad fit, some clean up required.

20150608_221643.jpg

The next big decision to make, flaps/slats up or down?! I had intended on having them up (out of pure laziness) but after cutting the wings from the sprue I'm quite impressed with the detail on the actuators etc, decisions, decisions!

• Like 4

The wing works well both retracted and deployed,I've done both.

Flaps/slats down looks cool, but many photo's show the wing retracted when parked.

Another tip is the nose cone, fill the joint line, the real join is the engraved panel line.

Here is one I've done earlier

Tornadonose_zpsbaaed685.jpg

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/825/825361.jpg

Hope this helps

Shaun.

• Like 1

I vote for flats/slats down! (easy for me to say - I'm not building it).

If you were to recommend a Tornado ref book, what one or two would you go for Muzz?

Cheers,

Dermot

Out of the publications I have Dermot the AirData2 Tornado IDS by Andy Evans is pretty good value for money with detailed walk round photos of RAF and German aircraft and articles on the different operating nations and conflicts. Think there about £8.

The Tornado, Multi Role Combat Aircraft publication by Jon Lake & Mike Crutch is a cracker, packed full of colour photo's of all sub types, nations, conflicts and a full production list of all aircraft. Retailed at about £20 when I got it quite a few years ago.

Muzz

• Like 2

A small bit of progress, had a bit of a sanding session tonight. Decided to go against the instructions and put the intakes together before joining them to the fuselage, this will help with filling the seam lines and painting the black/grey interior, the instructions would have you fit one half of the intakes first followed by the second half and roof.

20150610_220116_001.jpg

I've assembled the main wings and decided to have the flaps and slat in the up position (Sorry Dermot!), this decision was aided by the fact that I cut away some plastic in my haste to remove the parts from the sprue and it turned out these were not sprue gates but part of the wing! I've had to add a small section of plastic to the trailing edge of the wings as I'm correcting the forward position of the wing sweep.

20150610_220551.jpg

The gun ports filled and sanded as this going to be a recce airframe and also fitted to the forward fuselage whilst test fitting the position of the white metal IRLS sensor.

20150610_225957.jpg

• Like 4

Nice progress.

I hope I'm in time but the intakes ramps are set in the inflight position in the kit instructions. This is rarely seen in the ground and they should be mounted flat so you can see down the intake.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/juliendixon/media/RAF%20Marham/ZD811RightIntake2.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/juliendixon/media/RAF%20Marham/ZD811LeftIntake.jpg.html

Shaun.

Cheers Shaun, I was quite surprised to see the ramps included in the kit as every photo I've seen taken looking down the intakes obviously has them in the up position. Not fitted them yet, too busy with other things with all this nice weather!

Muzz

Thanks Lex, I've got the inside of the intakes painted up. I've also sanded back the grey on the wings (sprayed on when it was far to hot a day and didn't go down well!) and resprayed in medium sea grey for the area at the wing sweep. I'm on holiday now so no updates for a week.

Muzz

Hi Muzz

great progress on the build - have you had any fit issues with so far, as I have this kit in my stash (No. 4 in the build queue) and at first glance with the kit, there could be fit issues :weep: and loook forward to the next part of the build :goodjob:

No fit issues to speak of so far, it's not a 'shake n bake' kit, some parts require clean up and the majority of visible seam lines are going to require a coat of liquid putty to clean them up but it's gone well so far.

Some areas are a bit fiddly and you need to study the instructions closely as there squeezed onto the pages of the booklet. I ended up rushing the joining of the front fuselage as I had planned to enclose the cockpit inside the to halves only to realise last minute that the underneath of the fuselage has to be added at the same time, luckily the Tamyia liquid cement hadn't taken yet and was quite easy to rectify! Admittedly this was my fault for rushing things.

Muzz

• Like 1

Back from holiday and back at work! At least I get to start back on the kit again though so not all bad. I've made a bit of progress..............

Inside the air intakes painted and ready to be fitted.

20150621_222523.jpg

Main wings fitted, fixed in the fully forward position and the upper fuselage with the spine added ready to be joined.

20150621_222538_001.jpg

Shaun's wing seals fitted, once the excess resin is removed there a drop in fit.

20150621_224105_001.jpg

All covered up, a bit fiddly but not too bad, joined with CA and kicker for an instant grip.

20150621_230730.jpg

• Like 2