Tornado F.3 56(R) Firebirds - 1/144th Dragon

In addition to the missing chaff/flare pods I also noticed that the two raised metal areas were missing so I have now added those too.

CIMG3312_zpseliur1xf.jpg

Looking at the chaff/flare dispensers again, I think that they are a little short so I may scab on some more plastic to extend those.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now that the refurbishment of the Mk.1 Garden Seat is complete (see below, however that said it still has to pass final inspection from Mrs Nimrod :nono: ) it's time to get back to some modelling. I made a little progress having installed the cockpit and closed up the fuselage. Because the replacement pit is for the Dragon IDS version I am going to have to add the CRT screens applicable to the rear cockpit of the F.3, I will probably use the bit that I removed earlier in the build :banghead: for this and then I have to make good the forward coaming.

CIMG3323_zpspuuhdpzw.jpg

Just to go off topic a little, here is the completed Mk.1 Garden Bench refurbishment project. All brush painted using Hammerite and Ronseal with no pre-shading or weathering. :lol:

CIMG3319_zpshwkkxboz.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some slow but steady progress made. I have added the part that I removed at the start of this build to fit the Retrokit replacement cockpit and included some detail to represent the screens applicable to the F.3, not perfect but it will do the job, this just needs a wash over to blend it in with the rest.

CIMG3346_zpsehuixpxd.jpg

Then another test fit of the wings has revealed the work still needed to get this area looking like something that will resemble the real thing.

CIMG3347_zpsdfjvraea.jpg

CIMG3348_zpshx3in9bt.jpg

I have also carried out a small amount of work to improve the detail underneath, including extensions to the chaff/flare dispensers so that they look more like those in the photograph supplied by a fellow Britmodeller - thanks again Selwyn, and the addition of the Secondary Heat Exchanger intake, quite an obvious feature that I hadn't realised was missing until starting these builds.

CIMG3349_zpsthhewabm.jpg

CIMG3351_zpskaucrjqg.jpg

CIMG3352_zpsodd4wlab.jpg

It's only when you start taking photographs that you realise just how much clean-up work there is still to do, anyway should hopefully get some paint on soon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that is obvious from my previous posted photos are the missing hinge points at the rear of the canopy, it appears as though this may have been a part of the canopy in the past but these are absent from both canopies in my boxing. I have re-instated these by using a couple of pieces of micro-strip that have been cut and sanded to shape and now fill the gap nicely.

Missing hinge positions were filled with micro-strip before a test fit of the seats.

CIMG3389_zpsu52vs61n.jpg

CIMG3390_zpswmvvi7up.jpg

Other jobs completed since the last update has seen me finishing off the seats and these have been fitted; the canopy has had a couple of coats of Klear and this has also been fitted using Formula 560 canopy glue and now awaits masking and a final check over of the fit.

The canopy after receiving a couple of coats of Klear.

CIMG3388_zpsru0rn4qs.jpg

A final shot of the pit before everything gets closed in.

CIMG3387_zpshpzvtfzm.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 2

It always amazes me the level of detail that you put into a 1/144th scale kit that I could not even try to fit into a 1/72 one. I look forward to seeing how this one goes along. Very nice bench by the way.

• Like 1

Thanks for comments guys, but it's all smoke and mirrors really. When I was working we had to give performance information to the site management and my boss always said that we could present any old bull :poo-poo: as long as it was well presented (not that I ever did that). :whistle:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on this but the tail needs another coat before the decals go on. This is because this numpty decided that there was no need to mask the tail when spraying the red, :doh: of course grey paint covers red easily - Dark Sea Grey might but Barley Grey definitely not. Anyway, apart from that little set back this is probably the best hope of completion before the deadline.

CIMG3431_zpsi9yaywch.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks fellas, it should look good alongside the 1/72 Lightning even though it is a lot smaller. Oh and Cookie, don't say anything to Mrs N but I've got a lot of red paint to use up - sssh our secret. :mental::winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'm not going to get my builds finished by tomorrow night just too much outstanding to finish them off, but I should hopefully wrap most of them up in the next week or so. I have started to add the decals to this one and have completed the main ones on the tail. I have noticed that the kit decals have a red outline to the code letters and according to the reference photos I have found they should be white the code is also wrong (ZE338) so I wil have to have a rummage through my spares. Anyway here is a photo of where I am up to.

CIMG3442_zpsw0mcl9di.jpg

Have to finish the other side, add the roundels and stencils then some small details like aerials and strobe lights.

• Like 6