HMS Illustious 1/350 scale Detail Set for the Airfix kit

Peter Hall

Hi Folks, It's question time again. :unsure: I am progressing well with the HMS Illustrious 1/350 scale details, which will include most of the original items I did for the WEM set but NOT the backdating parts such as the early catwalks and mast arrays. There will be a lot of new stuff added such as extra details for the superstructure, weatherdecks and flight deck areas, boats and handling gear. I am aiming to get the whole lot onto one sheet, which will be quite big, but still keeping the price down to around £35 to £40 if at all possible. The question is !!! ..... Do I try to include the aircraft details in this set or keep them on a separate smaller sheet, so that the supplementary set from Airfix, (if it is still availbalbe) is covered. ??

All the best

Peter

Edited by Peter Hall
  • Like 3

The additional 1:350 Scale Aircraft set is not carried by Airfix, I think sold off for £1.99 [which I missed out on ] in Christmas sale. I would like your aircraft set on a separate sheet that way I could pick up extras for the other aircraft sets I've got. Also like your target price for main sheet.

Regards

Garry

Edited by garry
  • Like 2

Agree with Garry,keep them separate sets,having just gone through building HMS Illustrious ,the amount of aircraft speaks for itself.

L-1_zpsr7yobodw.jpg

• Like 2

Aircraft separate would be better. Could you do the backdating parts separately too, or are they in with the Sea Dart set?

• Like 2

A really desirable feature for me would be transparent cockpits for the GRs and Shars as part of a separate aircraft detail set.

Some bright spark on BM (was it Chewitt?) moulded his own and drilled out the place where the parachute box is located so that when filled with paint it looked even more realistic. Tricky to mould though I guess...

Kirk

• Like 1

I'm for separate aircraft details too! Is that true that Airfix don't do the aircraft set anymore? I wanted to pick up another couple of sets!

• Like 1

I'm for separate aircraft details too! Is that true that Airfix don't do the aircraft set anymore? I wanted to pick up another couple of sets!

Hello checked airfix site before I made post none listed, also none listed on Hannants site. There is someone selling on that site starting with E, a set goes for £12.50 plus postage of £3.50 or in other words £4 an aeroplane. Unsure why Airfix cleared out the set at Christmas ?

Garry

• Like 3

I agree about the separate aircraft detailing set, mainly because some of us bought extra aircraft, for other 1:350 themes etc., but wouldn't want to splash out on two sets of Illustrious p.e. to get that.

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Ok so it's a separate small set for the aircraft parts. Plus maintenance ladders, jacks, maybe a Mk12 Hydraulic rig or two, and a few other bits of goodies.

As for the backdating set, I was thinking that I could do the PE and Sea Dart parts all in together, but it would only take it back to the post 1990 refit era. It would be a major overhaul to get it back to the as fitted state.

Thanks for all the input. And thanks to Chris for his stunning model of Illustrious.

All the best

Peter

• Like 2

With the Sea Dart it should be possible to backdate her to her post 1988 refit, hopefully anyway, as I joined her with 800Sqn in 1989 and would like to do her as I knew her. :D

Found it! Ex-FAAWAFU's detailed 1:350 transparent Harrier canopy here. Witchcraft, maybe - or that new-fangled nano-technology.

I'd like some of these please, with and without pilots and obviously with a set of decals for the parachute box markings. :D

Kirk