Ernies last ride...

I appreciate that NASCAR projects aren't too plentiful here on Britmodeller, but I thought I'd post my current build anyway:

Started this around eight weeks back, it's a typical Revell/Monogram late 1990's kit, with quite soft detail and thick plastic, a generic chassis/cage/suspension and engine, just the bodyshell, transparencies and cowl over the dashboard are unique. So here's where I began:

masked%201_zpsrlmrp0ac.jpg

primed%20A_zps3ihwkqwb.jpg

With the air-dam glued in-place and filled/sanded, I sprayed a couple of coats of Xtracolour ADC Grey on the insides, then masked the window appertures and shot a coat of Tamiya acrylic grey primer straight from the rattle-can. I then rubbed that back with fine grade wet'n dry and lots of water so it was glassy smooth. I then took a new bottle of Tamiya acrylic lemon yellow, added a couple of tiny drops of orange to warm the tone a little and airbrushed three medium coats. A week later I rubbed it back again and applied to heavy cats of good old Humbrol Gloss-Cote:

GP%20paint%201_zps8romj921.jpg

GP%20paint%202_zps1dvafs6o.jpg

GP%20paint%203_zpstcyaxhvm.jpg

With that all done, it went into the cabinet to dry/cure and I made a start on the chassis/cage etc. (In the pics it's sitting on the rolling chassis of the Kellogg's Chevy I posted here a couple of weeks back).

Stay tuned.

Ian.

The engine block was built-up and sprayed Tamiya acrylic 'chrome silver' the gearbox is Tamiya 'flat aluminium'. I picked out a few details with Humbrol 56 aluminium and both matt and glossy black. The belts are all much darker than they appear in the pics - Tamiya 'Panzer Grey'.

Block%201_zpsbktdeerw.jpg

Block%202_zps4ycsr6di.jpg

Block%202_zps4ycsr6di.jpg

The exhausts are Tamiya 'magnesium' a really nice heated aluminium tone, highly reccomended. Back to the 'actual' chassis and various bits 'n pieces. As this is written, here's where I'm up to:

General_zpsjcsxohjl.jpg

Cage%20amp%20chassis_zpsynwwbyhz.jpg

Suspension_zpsg59xuhua.jpg

Next I'll drop the motor in - always a nail-biting session, then the rest of the cage, the dash/wheel/shroud and finally the steering rack. With some luck and a following wind I might just get it up on it's wheels by next weekend. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, please feel free to criticise or ask any questions.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

i think we don't see enough NASCAR projects on here.....I've a large pile of them to do.....just into other stuff at the moment.

Good work so far....always like the Pontiac shape....

Paul

Edited by The Sheene Machine

• 4 weeks later...