Done - Revell Tornado 'Pride of Boelcke' 1/72

Hey everyone,

Like many, I only met Merv 'electronically' via the last Tornado GB...which also happened to be my first here on Britmodeller.

He made me feel very welcome, encouraged me all along the way (even when my cr*p build wasn't going so well) and was a gent. So when this GB came around, I knew I had to build a Tornado to be proud of...and that would be an improvement on my last.

So I'm in with this.

Revell%2004288%202_zpswcbr0qub.jpg

Here's the real deal...that paintwork is going to be interesting.But it will be totally worth it.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---Air/Panavia-Tornado-IDS/1813386/L/&sid=0e302a591a33725d443b9dc05d26aec3

Good luck with your builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 7

I have that one in the stash too - the instructions would you have add the black lines seperating the colors with a felt tip pen!

Cheers,

Andre

I know - couldn't believe when I read that! I've found a pen recommendation from another build so might try it out with one of the drop tanks before I commit to the fuselage..Some pics anway...

Box contents (won't do a more detailed one as that's covered already elsewhere)

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_contents_zpsw0kow

Paint scheme...

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_colour%20scheme_z

Decals..

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_decals_zps9odjlb1

And the template for the felt tip pen lines!

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_decals%202_zpset1

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 2

Good luck with this build, I gave it a go myself a few years ago and the painting is very intense! I used marker pens to do the black and white demarcation lines. It's a challenging build, I look forward to seeing the final result!

Rich

@ Mish - thanks for the advice on the artist pens!

So finally some progress on this one - cockpit mostly done. I thought about tape straps but decided purely on OOB..Rear panel might be washed a little heavy too...so might take care of that as well..

Revell_Tornado_172_Fuse_1_zpsqnz5sufe.jp

Decided on painting the consoles/switches instead of the kit decals...extreme close up - maybe should have used the decals afterall??!!

Revell_Tornado_172_Fuse_2_zpsurxaeu34.jp

And with the wings and tail assembled..and the "stealthy" fuselage, ha ha :winkgrin:

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_1_z

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Muzz's recommendation, this dropped through the letterbox last night..

Tornado%20MRCA_zpst6wdvlae.jpg

Princely sum of ten Euros via online auction site.

Agree 100% with Muzz's opinion - it's a cracker of a book, packed full of photos. Thanks buddy!

Some build update later tonight I hope..

Dermot

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So bit of a departure on this one - i thought I could paint and finish the wings first, then add them to the build, mask them up and paint everything else.

But after some wing and tail experiments, it was going to be almost impossible to match up all the greys. So I just joined everything together (wings included) and will get cracking on paint once I fill the usual spots around the nose and where the forward cockpit meets the fuselage.

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_3_z

To be honest, it looks a bit pants right now but here's hoping it gets better...

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So this is going to be tight to get finished before the deadline....but will give it a go!

Got the paint started...stage 1 was a couple of coats of Halfords white from a can..then the first brush painted grey, RAL7035 according to Revell..There's a little of a seam on that fuselage edge but the tailplane covers most of it.

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_pai

Then grey no. 2 - RAL7035 (or Mouse Grey)..

To be honest, this is the weirdest scheme I've ever painted and I can't see how it will come together. Guess I have to stick with it..

Thankfully, the drop tank is only two greys..(this is only one coat, btw)

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_dro

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

So next part of the paint job...and a leap of faith.

The instructions gives a 1/72 scale paint scheme and template for this a/c to help with the colour demarcation..

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_colour%20scheme_z

Revell_Tornado_Boelcke_decals%202_zpset1

Photos of the real a/c seem to show a very small white cheat line before the black (dark grey?) camo break lines, So I thought I'd give that a go on the drop tanks first instead of the fuselage.

This is the before shot - the white line is Citadel brush painted..

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_Dro

And with the demarcation line drawn with a fine tip permanent marker..

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_Dro

Might be a little stark...probably should have gone with a very dark grey. Oh well, have started now so onwards and upwards!.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

So on to the next stage of painting. To be honest, I wasn't happy with some of the seam work so went back and fixed those. Much happier now!

Next paint colour on...Dust Grey

Followed by Black Grey on the wing tips, nose and mighty 'Fin..

Nose masked up for Black..

Unmasked and white camo line painted on..

Airframe Kleared...

And black line using fine tip permanent marker..

On to decals tonight!

Thanks as always for looking..

Dermot

• Like 6

Thanks Jason!

Decals going on and in the home stretch..I think these are by DACO in the Revell kit and are beautifully printed and clear.

Would recommend some strong decal solution to pull them down, especially the wing and fuselage walkways..

Revell_Tornado_1_72_Pride_of_Boelcke_Dec

Still a bit of work to do on the canopy but getting there..

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 5