Epic 40,000 - Thunderhawk Gunship

Dan

Sorting through some stuff in my man cave I came across this. I contemplated flogging it on ebay since I know they fetch a good price but decided instead to build it and post a progress report here :)

It has quite a bit of flash and a big dirty mold line running right down the centre (it is centre and not center, right? Do we really have an american spell checker on BRITmodeller LOL!!) I'll try and tackle that as best I can but I'm aiming for a quick build here, it'll do nicely until paint I've ordered arrives so that I may carry on with my spitfire.

Not sure on chapter colours yet (IT IS COLOURS!) I'll get the thing together first :D

SDC17613_zpsgezyuez5.jpg

• Like 2

I love the old Epic minis. I remember buying the Warlord Titan for about £8 nearly 20 years ago. I made a proper hash of painting it and it has since wandered off. Wish I could find it now as I'd love to have a proper go. Also I hate the new look everything GW has now so it, and this, appeals to my nostalgia.

Yep, I've painted a good few epic titans over the years, great models and it's a scale I like. I hear a rumor Forgeworld will be releasing a Warlord in 40k scale! Must be 4 foot tall!! Probably cost well in excess of a grand!

I wish GW would make available their back catalogue and get back to using white metal, instead of that finecast rubbish covered in air bubbles! Great were the days when you could order individual components of any model ever produced. Seems now they're only interested in extracting as much money from their customers in as dull a way possible! Slapping a 'Limited Edition' label on everything they make.

For me GW no longer exists.... Well they do.... But they've changed their name to eBay, can't say I like the collector prices though :/

Model is now made up and I'm about to prime it. I reckon Blood Angels for the simple reason, red is my favorite colour, and the 1:1 scale BA space marine that stood in the window of GW Manchester many moons ago was partly what got me into liking all things warhammer :D

SDC17615_zpsuizj7kln.jpg

SDC17622_zpsg7kpylhs.jpg

Yes. I've seen the pictures of the Warlord. They've changed the design so it just looks like a big Imperial Knight. Apparently it will be about 2' tall, which means to scale it's about 4'6" too short...

Looking forward to seeing some paint go on. I must go for a ratchet in the attic some time and see if I can find the old warlord.

That looks really nice! Epic (well, Space Marine) was one of the first 40K-ish things I got into - sold it all to my mate's brother when we were still at school.

Your Thunderhawk is definitely a better model than the ones I had, which were like little lead bricks with stub wings and castle-style crenellations.

Will

Yes. I've seen the pictures of the Warlord. They've changed the design so it just looks like a big Imperial Knight. Apparently it will be about 2' tall, which means to scale it's about 4'6" too short...

Looking forward to seeing some paint go on. I must go for a ratchet in the attic some time and see if I can find the old warlord.

Yes! Scale aside, that is one hugely impressive model! I've done some more digging in the cave and found a whole load of epic 40k! Warlord included :)

Cool little mini!

Cheers!

That looks really nice! Epic (well, Space Marine) was one of the first 40K-ish things I got into - sold it all to my mate's brother when we were still at school.

Your Thunderhawk is definitely a better model than the ones I had, which were like little lead bricks with stub wings and castle-style crenellations.

Will

Yeah I remember those! They were... er, not the best let's say. Cheers.

Here it is with some paint. Must get a shimmy on and finish before the end, it's almost there as you can see, just a few final highlights and paint the base and done :D

SDC17738_zpsfpqefbal.jpg

And a huge pile of epic in a plastic tub, how many tank I don't know? Loads of metal in here, must weigh 2-3kg! If only I had the self discipline to paint an army... Something I've never done! Epic, Fantasy or 40k..... I just lose the will to carry on after making a good start then sell it off! One day I'll do it... One day.....

SDC17741_zpssoae8xza.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers Hunter!

Hmmmmmm, the 28th! I've missed the bloody deadline haven't I! And I also forgot to add pics of my TIE fighter too. Ah well, not to worry, I doubt anyone would have voted for any of my models anyway with such awesomeness on show elsewhere.

Here it is done :)

DSC06185_zpskp6zrz5e.jpg

DSC06188_zpsvrcq2p78.jpg

DSC06190_zpsysvz4ouz.jpg

DSC06191_zpsfsfyxf0d.jpg

DSC06192_zps5u7dcwun.jpg

DSC06194_zps2srpvove.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Dan don't pull yourself down, this is a lovely paintjob. Its great to see all models, don't be overshadowed by others work, were all at different skill levels, my white star came out better than I could have hoped for.

Would have been great to see these in the gallery, you would have had my vote.

All the best Chris