Walking Dead or The Zombies R Coming

Quick Update:

July 11th.

Did a bit more to the dio today, (I am at the North Somerset Model Show tomorrow so will not be able to do anything more), but here is what I managed today..

Tiled the floor of the shop..

Tiles%20July11.jpg

Its two sheets of wall paper.

Here it is in situ...

Int%20July11.jpg

View from behind...

Int%20Back%20July11.jpg

Wall papered and put a wooden floor in the first floor room...

Int%20Room%20July11.jpg

Furniture from MiniArt..

Here is the room from the front..

Int%20Furn%20July11.jpg

Well thats all I've done today.

On holiday next week for two weeks, so should get a lot more done, in-between days out with the wife.

If your at North Somerset tomorrow, see you then, if not I'll catch up with you here next week.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 3

Update: July 15th

Progress coming along nicely, but slowing down as each element is added to the diorama.

Finished the brick wall and added a gate to the door at the top of the metal staircase...

July%2015%20Brick%20Wall.jpg

Gate on door. Chipped the paint to show signs of ageing..

July%2015%20Gate.jpg\

Wooden Door underneath the stairs - needs a bit of weathering..

July%2015%20Wood%20Door.jpg

Created a base ball bat for one of the figures..

July%2015%20BB%20Bat.jpg

Some pics of the interior, finished the furniture..

July%2015%20Int1.jpg

Figure is just for show, will not be in the dio.

July%2015%20Int2.jpg

July%2015%20Int3.jpg

You can't see it in this pic but I have added some clear plastic to simulate panes of glass.

I had to change the lighting system as the LEDs started to over heat which was a bit disconcerting, I left the lights on for several hours while I was working on another part of the diorama and notice smoke/steam rising from the lights. They were very hot, so hot that when I dropped them (too hot touch) they scorched the newspaper I use to cover the section of work bench I use for painting.

So I have scrapped this lighting system and gone for a Maplins LED touch kit, one each for each room. On reflection the light looks a lot more realistic and the LEDs look like ceiling lights, so turned out for the best.

Here is a pic of the lighting setup...

July%2015%20Lighting.jpg

The following pics show two different broken windows, on the left is a sheet of clear plastic cut to look like broken glass, the second is shattered glass..

July%2015%20Win1.jpg

Broken glass...

July%2015%20Win2.jpg

Shattered Glass...

July%2015%20Win3.jpg

Finally for today a pic of the dio at the moment. I have started on the two vehicles as you can see in the pics, more on these at a later date...

July%2015%20Dio2.jpg

Thats it for the last couple of days, hope to do a little more tomorrow.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

WOW, simply stunning! As mentioned before your rendition of the brickwork is amazing, extremely realistic. For your info re all things zombie I've just seen a trailer for a new show on PICK. I think it's called Z nation or something similar. Starts on the 21st July at 10. Going to see what it's like and hoping it's going to be up there with the walking dead.

Keep up the excellent work and very much looking forward to your next update

looking good. so many possibility's on this theme, its just a shame there are so few figures available.

Richard, have you seen the latest trailer for the walking dead season 6 ????

I have ordered some figures from Not Yet Dead (ordered a week ago and still waiting for them to arrive) to add to the scene. I will get some more as money permits, I want to fill it with zombies, as it should be.

Yes I have, its epic - more zombies, looks like its going to be the best series yet. Can not wait.

Cheers

Richard

WOW, simply stunning! As mentioned before your rendition of the brickwork is amazing, extremely realistic. For your info re all things zombie I've just seen a trailer for a new show on PICK. I think it's called Z nation or something similar. Starts on the 21st July at 10. Going to see what it's like and hoping it's going to be up there with the walking dead.

Keep up the excellent work and very much looking forward to your next update

Simon,

Thanks for your kind words. No I haven't heard of that show, I will see if I can find out about, sounds interesting.

Cheers

Richard

Update 16th July.

A few things done today...

Painted the Vending Machines, used some left over decals on one of the Vending Machines..

July%2016%20Ven1.jpg

July%2016%20Ven2.jpg

I have not put the bottles in the larger machine as they would have been looted long ago.

I had a deliver today of two figures from Not Yet Dead, good casting not a lot of flash to clean up, nicely packaged the attention to detail is nice to see.

July%2016%20nyd2.jpg

Outer sleve carries a picture of the figure inside, the inner box has a clear plastic window with another picture of the figure.

Figure is well protected inside the box with a strip of bubble wrap and a pad of foam. The figure comes in a plastic bag.

Very pleased with the purchase, I will certainly be adding to the ranks of Zombies very soon.

July%2016%20nyd1.jpg

Both figures are made from resin, Doreen has several white metal parts, both arms, small bag and a knife.

I also managed to make a set of shelfs for the shop, I have some cardboard boxes I can use on the shelves to show shop almost stripped bare.

July%2016%20Shelf.jpg

I couldn't resist putting together one of the models, the teenage zombie snacking on a victim. Because the diorama will be seen by many ages and sensibilities I have decided to put this figure inside the first floor room, ironically it has a dinning table, I thought I might be able to have the body on the table, but it didn't work. So here is how it will look..

July%2016%20Zom%20Int.jpg

Better when it is painted, but you get the idea.

Thats all for now, more tomorrow.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Update 17 July

Just a few things done today, major one is I have finished painting and weathering the building...

July%2017%20Front.jpg

Now fixed to the base, added the shelf and a vending machine into the shop. Need to do a bit of rusting on the staircase.

Vending machine with some posters...

July%2017%20Posters.jpg

Posters on the walls..

July%2017%20Wall%20Post1.jpg

July%2017%20Wall%20Post2.jpg

July%2017%20Wall%20Post3.jpg

Found a bicycle I had made for a diorama that never made it, so I will use it in this one.

This is how Doreen will be placed on the diorama, or with a scooter loaded with gear, not sure yet....

July%2017%20Doreen.jpg

Added some graffiti to the bin, got some weathering to do on the bin, scratches etc...

July%2017%20Bin%20Graf.jpg

And how it's looking at the moment...

July%2017%20Dio.jpg

On the look out for more Zombies, the beauty of this diorama, is that I can finish it but still have room to add Zombies as and when I get hold of them, not to say I am at that stage just yet.

I have decided not to use the BMW in this diorama, so have put it to one side for something else that I have in mind.

I will finish the figures off this weekend, that leaves next week to work on the vehicle, plus the wife wants to go to Sudeley Castle and Bletchley Park, not on the same day I hasten to add, so time limited next week. Be good to have a break from the diorama, you can have to much of a good thing.

Thanks for viewing.

Cheers

Richard

This is looking very good indeed. Your weathering of the buildings is a joy to behold. Quick question, where did the posters originate? Were they bought or did you make them yourself?

Looking forward to you next update

looking amazing.

whats your plan for blood and guts ???!!!

HI, I am going to use Citadel Red Gore, Red Scab, Rotting Flesh with some Vallejo Red Black and finish of with Citadel Orgyn Flesh wash.

Hope to do this on the half eaten boy tomorrow, will post pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Richard

This is looking very good indeed. Your weathering of the buildings is a joy to behold. Quick question, where did the posters originate? Were they bought or did you make them yourself?

Looking forward to you next update

Simon,

I found them via Google, got quite a collection - I have made a pdf of them, I can post a link to them if you want a copy.

Let me know.

Cheers

Richard

That would be great, thankyou. Normaly I'd class myself as a run of the mill modeller, modern aircraft mainly, but have a feeling this may change in the near future after seeing your WIP. Always had an interest in all things Zombie so may just give it a go.

Looking forward to your next post

That would be great, thankyou. Normaly I'd class myself as a run of the mill modeller, modern aircraft mainly, but have a feeling this may change in the near future after seeing your WIP. Always had an interest in all things Zombie so may just give it a go.

Simon,

I normally do 1/24 scale rusted and or abandoned vehicles, I use to do 1/35 dioramas along time ago, so this is my first in a long time.

Here is a pdf of the Zombie Signs I found on the inter web.

Cheers

Richard

Update July 19

I didn't manage to finish the figures today, but nearly did. I have some weathering to do on two of the survivors...

July%2019%20Surviors.jpg

July%2019%20Rider.jpg

July%2019%20Doreen.jpg

Also have to sort out the eyes on this figure, looking weird.

I have weathering to do on three zombies (two more to paint)...

July%2019%20Zombies1.jpg

July%2019%20Zombies2.jpg

Images not to good, hope to get some better ones soon, but you get the idea.

Started on the storage and stowage, here are some boxes...

July%2019%20Boxes.jpg

And the final item for tonight, I have added a sign to the shop using a set of laser cut letters from "Proses".

July%2019%20Sign.jpg

Well thats it for this weekend. Look to finish off 90% of the figures tomorrow, and get going on the pick-up.

Thanks for stopping by and for all the comments.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Update 20 July

I have finished the figures both Survivors and Zombies...

July%2020%20Zom%20Shop.jpg

July%2020%20Body1.jpg

July%2020%20Body2.jpg

July%2020%20Zom%20Alley1.jpg

July%2020%20Doreen.jpg

July%2020%20Rider1.jpg

July%2020%20Rider2.jpg

July%2020%20Rider3.jpg

On with the Pickup for the rest of the week, I will add some grass, weeds, moss etc to the diorama.

There is still more to do but this will wait until next month when I shall get some more zombies and other bits and pieces.

July%2020%20Dio.jpg

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Morning. Watched Z Nation last night. Clear that the budget is not on a par with the Walking Dead but still rather good. Promising start too so it's in my record list on Sky+. You WIP is looking great. I agree that the corpse, or what's left of it, is so cool. Spent an age last night on various sites looking for items for my zombie build, if I ever get the time of course. Thinking of a scene around a Humvee. Found a great set from Meng with a group of squadies, one of which is injured, which would be just right. I'll let you know how it goes. Will most certainly be using images from that pdf you sent so thanks for that.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next post

• Like 1

Simply brilliant!

That half eaten corpse is a superb touch of detail.

Regards

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for the comment, I have finished the corpse and the room that the corpse is in..

July%2023%20Room1.jpg

More updates coming soon.

Cheers

Richard

Morning. Watched Z Nation last night. Clear that the budget is not on a par with the Walking Dead but still rather good. Promising start too so it's in my record list on Sky+. You WIP is looking great. I agree that the corpse, or what's left of it, is so cool. Spent an age last night on various sites looking for items for my zombie build, if I ever get the time of course. Thinking of a scene around a Humvee. Found a great set from Meng with a group of squadies, one of which is injured, which would be just right. I'll let you know how it goes. Will most certainly be using images from that pdf you sent so thanks for that.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next post

Simon,

I have download Z-Nation via catch-up on Sky and will have a look tonight.

Have a look at Not Yet Dead, they have a range of figures, you should also look at Maim as well.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Cheers

Richard

Update 23 July

More progress is made on this build, had a day off so have had a bit of break from the build, had a few ideas which I'm still mulling over.

Finished the Zombie, corpse and room that they are in..

July%2023%20Room1.jpg

July%2023%20Room2.jpg

July%2023%20Room3.jpg

Fixed two zombies to the base, still have a little to do on the survivor before I fix him, I have given him a spade to defend himself...

July%2023%20Alley1.jpg

July%2023%20Alley2.jpg

Finished and fix the crate and boxes to the base...

July%2023%20Crate.jpg

Started on the seat and added a rusted barrel. I have covered the seats in a blue sheet with some rubbish on it. These are made from tissue paper dipped in watered down glue...

July%2023%20Seat.jpg

Added a few more items to the shop, boxes of rotten veg, a wine bottle on the shelf and a case of bottles...

July%2023%20Shop.jpg

Finally started weathering the Pickup and adding stowage, I will make a roof rack to hold some more stowage..

July%2023%20Pick1.jpg

July%2023%20Pick2.jpg

July%2023%20Pick3.jpg

This is how the diorama looks at the moment, will add some grass and moss etc tomorrow.

July%2023%20Dio.jpg

Again thanks to everyone who reads this and follows it and for all the great comments, please keep them coming.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Update 24 July

A few things done today, fixed a few items to the base, survivor, seat, bicycle and added grasses and moss to the base.

Alleyway almost finished, three figures fixed to base, as well as barrel, seat, bin and grasses added...

July%2024%20Alley1.jpg

July%2024%20Alley2.jpg

July%2024%20Stair%20Seat.jpg

July%2024%20Barrell.jpg

Added a box to the bicycle, you can see the grass as well.

July%2024%20Bike.jpg

Made some progress on the pickup, put a strap to secure the wheel on the bonnet..

July%2024%20Pick1.jpg

Added a roof rack and some stowage...

July%2024%20Pick2.jpg

Add a few more bits of stowage to the rear..

July%2024%20Pick3.jpg

July%2024%20Pick4.jpg

Lots more to do on the pickup but its getting there.

Well that's the updates for today, just a few things done. Its getting to that stage in the build now, when all the elements slowly come together, so updates won't be too major just the finishing touches.

Day off tomorrow, hope to do a bit on Sunday.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

This is looking really rather good, your attention to detail is stunning. Did you find the time to watch Z nation? What did you think?

This is looking really rather good, your attention to detail is stunning. Did you find the time to watch Z nation? What did you think?

Simon,

Yes I have seen Z Nation and was very pleased with it. A bit slow to begin with but built up very well to the end. Did not like the character Lt. Hammond and was pleased when the character was killed off as he was very annoying and would have turned me off the programme.

Can not wait to see where the series goes.

Cheers

Richard