Walking Dead or The Zombies R Coming

Update: 15 June

Not a lot done this weekend as I was doing my other hobby on Sunday, Acting at the Nuffield Theatre in Southampton part of the RSC Open Stages.

But was able to do a bit on Saturday.

Here are the fruits of my labour...

Started on the board, edging out and realised that the buildings, once I had added the staircase would not fit on the board.

So I had to do a major rethink and ended up cutting off the doorway on the building on the left...

13Juneresize.jpg

I could then fit the staircase and pickup on the base...

13Junedio.jpg

For some reason I do not have room for the BMW as I had planned to have it on the street, I don't want not use it in the diorama, so it will be crashed into the shop front.

This is what I like about modelling, the ever changing nature of a diorama build, once everything starts to go on you are never to sure how it will finish.

Here is the buildings put together with the left hand building frontage finished.

13Junefront.jpg

Added the roof top...

13Junetop.jpg

And floors inside...

13Juneback.jpg

These were added to give strength to the buildings, I will have curtains up in the windows and or dirty windows so you won't be able to see inside.

Well thats all folks, until next weekend.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

coming on well. probably don't need to tell you this but i used Acetate sheets for the glass.

Got me some of that the other day, great kinds and all that.

Do you not fancy some little vignettes within the building, could add an entirely new perspective to whats going on i. The model and make it viewable through 360 degrees?

Nice idea, I will think about it, only concerned about the additional time it will take to compete the project.

Cheers

Finally finished the last show of season 4 of Walking Dead today. Nice layout and work so far. Will watch with interest.

Rene

Rene,

Brilliant series, cannot wait until the next instalment.

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers

Richard

Yes Richard - DVD release for the next season is in a few month - but what then??? ;-)

Rene

Rene,

Writers say they have already mapped out the format up to season 11 and 12, but that is if they get the go ahead from FOX. I cannot think that FOX will let the cash cow go because if it did then some one like Netflix would pick it up. Same thing happened to "Ripper Street" made for the BBC, they (BBC) said they didn't want it after series two and now it is being made for Amazon.

I'm sure there will be a season 6 and 7 at least, can not wait.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

June 22nd Update:

I managed to get some work done this weekend on this project, not as much I would have liked but never mind.

Finished the base, made the road out of plaster of paris, for the pavement and alleyway I used foam board which I sealed with watered down white glue, the reason for this, as I have found in the past, if you spray aerosol primer on to the foam it melted it, so by sealing it I made a barrier for the primer to sit on.

21JuneBase1.jpg

21JuneBase2.jpg

I scored some lines in the foam to make the pavement.

As it will be dark in the lower part of the building I thought I would put some light in it, this is to allow people to see into the building, so I asked a friend of mine to do some electronics for me...

21JuneChris1.jpg

21JuneChris2.jpg

More on this in a future post.

Having primed the board I also primed the figures...

21Junefigures.jpg

Here are some shots of the layout so far...

21JuneDio2.jpg

Started on the bricks..

21JuneDio3.jpg

Shop front finished, once painted I will add broken glass to it.

21JuneDio4.jpg

21JuneDio5.jpg

That's it for this week, next weekend I will be at TankFest on Saturday and Chalk Valley History Festival on Sunday so no modelling, I might be able to squeeze a bit in of an evening.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 5th July

Been a busy weekend at work, so only had a half a day on Sunday to do any modelling.

Made a start on the figures:

Fig%20Start.jpg

Progress on the brick wall:

Brick%20Wall%20July5th.jpg

A few pics of the figures on the base:

Fig%20July5a.jpg

Fig%20July5b.jpg

Fig%20July5c.jpg

Given the bike a civilian colour scheme rather than a military one.

The diorama as it is at the moment...

Dio%20July5th.jpg

More updates soon.

Thanks for reading/following

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Looking great so far, have you thought about using a modern soldier or 2 as zombies? Quite often get the odd one in the crowd in the films!

The foam board you mention is that PVC foam board? I've just ordered some to make a diorama base and I'll remember the top about PVA if so!

Looking great so far, have you thought about using a modern soldier or 2 as zombies? Quite often get the odd one in the crowd in the films!

The foam board you mention is that PVC foam board? I've just ordered some to make a diorama base and I'll remember the top about PVA if so!

Hi,

Good idea about a solider or two, MAIM have some..

Solider%20Suit.jpgSolider.jpg

I need to increase the number of Zombies in the diorama, so they may be making an appearance.

Not Sure what the foam board was called, I'm going into town today so I will have a look in the model shop and see what it is called and made of.

Watch this space.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Hi,

I mentioned in an early post about putting some lights inside the model, this is only to illuminate the inside of the rooms, once the back is on the diorama then you won't be able to see the details inside the rooms.

Well here are view pics of the setup, thanks go to my friend Chris for putting it together.

This is a first fix just to see the effect, I will wire it in properly once I have the interior finished...

Lighting1.jpg

Four LEDs, the top two need to have the wires expended to fit on the ceiling.

Lighting2.jpg

Lights Off..

Lighting3.jpg

Lights On.

The switch in the foreground is to reset the lights as there is a motion sensor that hopefully will turn the lights on when people walk past the model.

Lighting4.jpg

Close up of the circuit board.

Lighting5.jpg

You can see the sensor on the roof of the building, need to find a place on the building to fix/hide it.

Lighting6.jpg

How it will look when on display....

Dio%20Lighting1.jpg

I think it will work.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Great idea, I can't fully see what's on the little PCB but you might want to double check with your buddy that if there's a regulator it doesn't get too hot and melt the plastic! You might just need to stand it off the wall or floor where you mount it 10mm or so, it'll only be the case that gets hot but they can get too hot to touch depending on how they are running.

Great idea, I can't fully see what's on the little PCB but you might want to double check with your buddy that if there's a regulator it doesn't get too hot and melt the plastic! You might just need to stand it off the wall or floor where you mount it 10mm or so, it'll only be the case that gets hot but they can get too hot to touch depending on how they are running.

Not sure it will get to hot but will check with my friend.

Taking it to my Model Club's meeting tonight so will have the lights on for a couple of hours, so should be a good test of whether it will get hot.

Cheers

Richard

That looks absolutely fantastic so far, the brick work looks so realistic, id swear you were a brickie.

As a fan of TWD & zombie films, you & the other chap who did that other Zombie diorama, have got this spot on & the creativity is class.

So much so, id swear the girl on the bike is Alice from RE:Extinction.

That looks absolutely fantastic so far, the brick work looks so realistic, id swear you were a brickie.

As a fan of TWD & zombie films, you & the other chap who did that other Zombie diorama, have got this spot on & the creativity is class.

So much so, id swear the girl on the bike is Alice from RE:Extinction.

Cheers Deadman,

All those hours of watching TWD and Falling Skies have paid off.

Yes your right, Masterbox have modelled the figure of the female on the bike on Alice from Resident Evil - Extinction:

RE%20Extinction1.jpgRE%20Extinction3.jpg

RE%20Extinction2.jpeg

I have sanded down the suspenders on my figure and will paint legs as if she had either jeans or leather biker trousers on.

I have painted the coat in brown leather paint.

Fig%20July5c.jpg

Cheers

Richard

SaintsPhil, on 06 Jul 2015 - 5:40 PM, said:

snapback.png

Hi SaintsPhil,

Had a look in the model shop I got the foam from for the base and it is called:

"Polystyrol Foam Pack" from a company called "Hobby's" Part No. Polyst140

I also picked up a set of the MiniArt Furniture Set, will be going in the first floor room.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1