Spinosaurus Dinosaur 1:24

Mike

Spinosaurus
1:24 Pegasus Models

boxtop.jpg

The Spinosaurus is a relatively newly discovered theropod dinosaur, and full grown it is well-deserving of the title "behemoth", because it dwarfed the mighty T-rex, although they never met because of time and distance (so sad). The Spinosaurus lived almost 100 million years ago, and was found mostly around the north of what is now Africa, but had relatives in the lump of rock that became Great Britain in the shape of the less impressive Baryonyx. As well as being huge, with a skull alone approaching two metres in length, it also had a distinctive row of spines growing from its back vertebrae that formed a sail with a covering of flesh in between the spines. These spines were two metres high at the highest point, and contributed to the creature's name when enough was known about it.

As more examples of fossils have been found, estimates of its size have risen to the current figure of around fifteen metres from nose to tail, and up to twenty one tonnes in weight. Close examination of it has indicated that it lived near and in water for most of its life, implying that it would have been a strong swimmer, as depicted in Jurassic Park III, when it crept up on the barge carrying our heroes and made a bit of a mess of it. A reconstructed skeleton has been posed in the swimming position, and it would have been a truly terrifying sight for its prey.

Spinosaurus_swimming.jpg
"Spinosaurus swimming" by Mike Bowler from Canada - Spinosaurus. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons -

Conclusion
When put together this kit is a very impressive looking item, and once painted should look stunning if done with care and attention. My only concern is that the nostrils are a little far down the rostrum when compared to skeletal examples, but they are small enough to be moved if this bothers you, and the vinyl is tough, so workable. The parts go together well, and with the use of CA or epoxy resin you'll soon have it built up, and be able to move onto the biggest task, which is painting. it isn't a cheap kit, but if you were to buy one ready-made and pre-painted, you'd be looking at multiples of the purchase price for one of such quality.

Very highly recommended.

Available from all good model shops.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

UK Distributors for

logo.gif

• Like 6

I was quoted 20" as the length, and bearing in mind that he's got his tail kind of curved round, you get a great feeling of what a large beastie he was. :frantic:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review Mike, I picked one up on the strength of your good word when it was on sale locally. Looks like an excellent kit, most of the join lines close up and vanish even under a dry fit, and I love that it can balance on one foot.

I grabbed the other two Pegasus dinos at the same time (T-Rex and Triceratops) and they're also nice. The fit of those two isn't is tight as the Spinosaurus though, and the vinyl is heavier and greasier. It may be that the joins vanish with some trimming and warming but I suspect putty will be needed.

Short version: Awesome kit, even better than the first two releases and those are pretty good.

Cheers,

Will

:fight: OI! Respect for Baryonix walkeri Charig & Milner 1986 :fight:

It might be a less robust cousin, (of sorts; its a phylogeny thing...), but it is considerably more complete than the sum of odd assemblages that represent Spinosaurus and its British too! Not to mention that I helped excavate it back in... 1983; I feel so old :clif:

Nice review Mike! One that I was unaware of and might have, (read MUST), put onto the Crimbo list. Also I will pass the info onto a friend who is utterly bananas on all things dino. Her flat has to be seen to be believed.

I think that the placement of the nasal orifices on the rostrum comparing model to skull might be an ontological thing. The skull, shown above, is a copy of an example held in a private collection that exhibits clear juvenile ontologic traits. Whereas other cranial fragments, including the Baryonix cranial remains have been argued to posit a gradual movement of the nasal orifice to a position more in-keeping with that shown on this rather stunning model.

Cheers,

Christian, Britmodeller's tame-ish palaeontologist

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

Big fan of Baryonix, I remember the news reports and early reconstructions and how exciting it all was.

I've seen some commentary to the effect that the Pegasus Spinosaurus is more inspired by Jurassic Park than by current paleology but I must admit I don't mind :)

Will

He would have to be called Barry, living in the UK, wouldn't he? :lol: I'm glad you guys were equally pleased with the kit - it's a (not so) little stunner, isn't it? I think it's got to be in my top ten of impressive dinosaurs, if not at the top :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

He would have to be called Barry, living in the UK, wouldn't he? :lol: I'm glad you guys were equally pleased with the kit - it's a (not so) little stunner, isn't it? I think it's got to be in my top ten of impressive dinosaurs, if not at the top :)

The etymology of Baryonyx walkeri Charig & Milner, 1986 is;

Baryonyx, from the Greek barux, (heavy) and onux, (claw)

walkeri, for Mr. William J, Walker, discoverer of the original ungual, (claw-bone).

But you are right, :weep:, Just be happy that there is no evidence of a mullet, yet!

My dino-mad friend has one of these and is raving about it. I might have to get one of these myself...

As an aside some new material has recently been reported...

Christian, Britmodeller's tame, in-house palaeontologist

Edited by wyverns4

It's imported by Pocketbond Will, so have a look at their distributors list, or a quick Google - I spotted a few UK shops selling it, as well as a well-known UK arm of a giant US company named after a river via one of their sellers :)