Hobby World TF-4J Skyhawk is it any good?

Hi folks

Does anyone know of Hobby World Models? are they any good?

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1:48 scale Skyhawk two seater that I would like to build into an RNZAF TF-4G or 4k, the price is quite reasonable for the NZ market.

The seller has suggested it looks like a rebox of a hasegawa? does this sound likely?

I may be visiting the RNZAF Wigram Museum that has the TF-4k (I think its a 4K, certainly its a 2 seater) later this year so can take lots of walk arounds to help with the details

Thanks for any help

Is it this kit here ?

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-652991464-avio-tf-4j-skyhawk-148-hobby-world-kit-em-baixo-relevo-_JM

If so, it looks to me a rebox of the Academy kit, that in itself is a modified clone of the Fujimi kit. Not only it's not a modern kit, it's also 1/50 scale. If you don't mind working on an older little detailed kit and the odd scale, it may be a bargain. Personally I'm not sure I'd bother..

Wow quick response, and yes thats the one. Thanks for the info, I am not so worried about the odd scale but if I have to spend a lot of time or money to get it looking right then its not worth it.

He is asking $42.00NZD for it (about 21.GBP) and I found a company in Hong Kong selling it for about $6.00USD so I am guessing $42 is over the odds still.

These clones also tend to have quite rough moulds, not only you would have to spend a lot of time to add details but it's likely that the whole build experience may be frustrating. A bit like it happened to me with my Seminar Kfir, itself one of these clones.

$42 for that thing is a rip-off IMHO, I'd never pay that kind of money for one of these things. :o

I was going to say that I saw a Hasegawa 1/48 New Zealand A-4 in my local shop yesterday, in fact I nearly bought it. But when I read your post I was going to offer to buy it on your behalf and you just pay me what it cost me, plus postage.

But it's over NZ$80 here in France as well and the postage would be about another NZ$25 on top.

Since NZ$ 80 is roughly €50, I wouldn't say it's a cheap price, but to be honest I would spend this money on a Hasegawa Skyhawk. I would not spend more than NZ$ 15 on a clone of the Academy kit though. And would rather spend the 80 for the Hase kit than the 60 for the Italeri one

Not terribly helpful, but have you tried looking for a TA-4J vice TF-4J?

While I haven't seen the Classic Airframes TA-4J, I do have the Hasegawa kit in the stash and it is very nice. Way better than the Fujimi/Academy/Hobby World kit. I'd save up the money and get the Hasegawa kit if you want a good 1/48 TA-4J.

Leave it on the shelf and run away - fast. If the choice stands between spending USD 6 on the HobbyWorld/Seminar/Academy/Fujimi kit and a bottle of glue, opt for the latter. The kit only vaguely captures the outline of the family-Skyhawk. I did one some years ago and it was not worth the time nor the effort IMHO.

I was going to say that I saw a Hasegawa 1/48 New Zealand A-4 in my local shop yesterday, in fact I nearly bought it. But when I read your post I was going to offer to buy it on your behalf and you just pay me what it cost me, plus postage.

But it's over NZ$80 here in France as well and the postage would be about another NZ$25 on top.

Thanks for the thought Mark, I have a daughter in Japan so I will get her to check out pricing there too

Not terribly helpful, but have you tried looking for a TA-4J vice TF-4J?

While I haven't seen the Classic Airframes TA-4J, I do have the Hasegawa kit in the stash and it is very nice. Way better than the Fujimi/Academy/Hobby World kit. I'd save up the money and get the Hasegawa kit if you want a good 1/48 TA-4J.

Quite helpful and yes I have looked at the TA's in fact this is the first TF I have seen.

Skyhawks in 1:48 scale are hard to find down here, occasionally the italeri ones come up at around $60+ I haven't seen a Hasegawa for less than about $80....

It may be that a typo in a google search last night wasn't as unproductive as it might have first appeared, since I accidentally discovered

https://www.acornmodels.co.nz/products/kitsets/italeri-1,48-aircraft-kitsets/72298/

Seems to be in NZ, seems to be less than $60 nd seems to be in stock...

Because I hadn't the first idea of where I'd seen it when I went 'Hang on a mo...' upon reading your post, I bumped into this while attempting to find the one above (I couldn't remember the typo from last night, so had to do a laterally-thought out search)

http://www.modelcraftsandhobbies.co.nz/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=20069&category_id=9af73185b6d041271e523be77a1756ac&

And that seems to be in stock too?

Thanks XV107

I hadn't looked at the South Island shops much, but I will be in Christchurch in July so will have a look then, and I might have time when I am in Wellington later this month. (yes I know Wellington is technically in the North Island but anything south of the Bombay hills is foreign to us JAFA's :lol: ) if I have to get one shipped the freight costs are going to be quite high.

Skyhawks in 1:48 scale are hard to find down here, occasionally the italeri ones come up at around $60+ I haven't seen a Hasegawa for less than about $80....

Why not just buy online? We have this wonderful thing called the Internet now :D Means you don't have waste time trawling far flung shops looking at a crap range of overpriced kits :D

For example SealModel.com has Hasegawa Skyhawks at the moment, both TA-4 ($30 USD) and A-4E/F's ($28 USD) Even with post (Surface) you'd probably be better off. And hte HAsegawa Kit is a much better kit

• Like 1