Gloster Javelin FAW.9 Airfix 1/48

Finished this today.

Was a nice build. Only area that really needed some work for me was the upper wing surface to fuselage joint. If I did another one, I'd be tempted to use some packers or shims to raise the level a bit. The undercarriage is fiddly too, full credit to Airfix for making it so nice though. Decals are a bit hit and miss. The single colour ones are excellent but the multicoloured ones are quite thick and don't settle very well.

Only aftermarket addition was some Master pitot tubes which look amazing, especially compared to the kit parts. Paints where Mr Hobby for the main camo, Tamiya for all the other colours and Alclad for the metallics and clear coats. All of the parts were sprayed with Aluminum but I used a different base coat on the undercarriage to give it a slightly different tone. Something to note as well is that Airfix make no reference to the canopy having the white bands which I ended up spraying on.

Pictures taken on a iPhone, now I've moved out of home I can't use my Dad's nice camera anymore!

11351574_10152802267771836_949544440_n_z

11329673_10152802267706836_1912473899_n_

11303493_10152802267651836_1130005637_n_

11126235_10152802267801836_1233038127_n_

Some much better photos can be found in the WIP - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974933-gloster-javelin-148-026-nearly-finished/

• Like 26

Very nice build you have there. And now you have to change the statement on top of your avatar - you did finish one!

By the way - how did you do the weathering of the upper side? It looks very "right".

Cheers,

Michael

Wow! That is one cool looking Jav.

Excellent subtle weathering detailing and paintwork. Well done, Sir!

Was pleasantly surprised to discover it was an Airfix kit, but I suppose they have improved so much since the days of everything having "raised panel lines".

Very nice build you have there. And now you have to change the statement on top of your avatar - you did finish one!

By the way - how did you do the weathering of the upper side? It looks very "right".

Cheers,

Michael

I spray the main colour as a base coat straight onto primer. Preshade with a darker colour, doesn't have to be black! Then go in with a lighter shade of the base coat. I don't add white, I'd rather find a colour that's close. It's easy with RAF as I use Medium Sea Grey over the Dark Sea Grey.

Instead of just filling the centres of the panel, I'll randomly put dots over the entire area. This breaks up the pre-shade so it doesn't look like a load of thick dark lines and helps tone the paint. Then I paint over the whole section again the base colour very very thin and from quite far back to start blending everything together.

Pictures here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974933-gloster-javelin-148-0306-finished/page-3#entry1961644

Finished it off with a black Flory wash that I allowed to streak nose to tail and Alclad Light Sheen clear coat.

• Like 2

Cheers,

Michael

That looks terrific. I kept going back for another look! Great finish you've achieved there.

Cheers,

Roger

Very nice

I'm tempted to get one at some point later this year..

Tim

That looks superb! I'm in total admiration. Javelin's are super looking aircraft and yours really does them justice, well done!

Excellent! Worth all the effort!

Brilliant stuff mate you've made a great a kit into something very special.

Well done!

Iain

Thanks Gents, comments are appreciated :)

A great Javelin Breaker, superb work. I've just started mine, do will be taking regular peeks at your WIP, so thanks for sharing your work.

Adam