Tamiya 1:72 Mosquito FB Mk.VI (woodgrain finish)

Great idea. I don't know how far you live from Salisbury Hall (near Watford), the de Havilland Museum, but they are restoring the Mossie prototype there at the moment, so you can see a lot of the way the aircraft is put together. It's fascinating anyway (plus they have two other Mosquitoes & other assorted dH types, including a Sea Venom which is also being rebuilt), but could really help your research. Being a working museum, you are walking around the aircraft as it is worked on, and can chat to the engineers.

Worth a visit, anyway.

Great idea. I don't know how far you live from Salisbury Hall (near Watford), the de Havilland Museum, but they are restoring the Mossie prototype there at the moment, so you can see a lot of the way the aircraft is put together. It's fascinating anyway (plus they have two other Mosquitoes & other assorted dH types, including a Sea Venom which is also being rebuilt), but could really help your research. Being a working museum, you are walking around the aircraft as it is worked on, and can chat to the engineers.

Worth a visit, anyway.

Thanks for that. Great idea about the museum - I do have a few questions remaining so I might email them ( I'm in Sheffield). I did email the guys in NZ who recently built one, but no reply yet ( I didn't really expect one but worth a try!).

I very much like where you are going with this as the mossie is only the most beautiful twin to grace our skies.

An alternative to showing the aircraft under construction would be the following: There is a chapter in the Osprey modelling book on the Mossie which may be of interest. The modeller has built an RAF nightfighter (admittedly different nose to your kit), that flew through the fireball of its Luftwaffe victim. The aircraft was stripped down by the flames to the bare wood in large areas, very effectively showing the construction of the airframe. I believe there are some pics of the real thing in Ian Allan's At War book.

• Like 2

I very much like where you are going with this as the mossie is only the most beautiful twin to grace our skies.

Other than the Sturgeon, obviously.

Joke.

• Like 3

An alternative to showing the aircraft under construction would be the following: There is a chapter in the Osprey modelling book on the Mossie which may be of interest. The modeller has built an RAF nightfighter (admittedly different nose to your kit), that flew through the fireball of its Luftwaffe victim. The aircraft was stripped down by the flames to the bare wood in large areas, very effectively showing the construction of the airframe. I believe there are some pics of the real thing in Ian Allan's At War book.

Was it this one?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8996-tamiya-148-mosquito-night-fighter/

I saw that the other day, and I don't think it's particularly accurate in terms of how the outer skin was divided up.

Was it this one?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8996-tamiya-148-mosquito-night-fighter/

I saw that the other day, and I don't think it's particularly accurate in terms of how the outer skin was divided up.

That was indeed the one I was thinking of. Didn't realise it was on BM. Should've known better! You could always do your own interpretation and then when feeling considerably braver (and far more skilled)one could follow in your footsteps!!

Yes of course, the Sturgeon, how could I forgot, oh wait . . . ;)

• Like 1

That was indeed the one I was thinking of. Didn't realise it was on BM. Should've known better! You could always do your own interpretation and then when feeling considerably braver (and far more skilled)one could follow in your footsteps!!

Yes of course, the Sturgeon, how could I forgot, oh wait . . . ;)

Ha ha - So long as I don't replicate the errors on the other bare skin Mosquito models in terms of aluminium/wood areas I'll consider it a result.

It would however be nice to get consistent (or clear) references to the upper and lower wing skin final layups.

Excellent. Undoubtedly a beautiful aircraft, but I agree it needs the addition of something to break up the smooth wooden surface areas. (That said I reckon a Mossie would still look beautiful painted in bitumen and artex.) What an original idea. Looking forward to a modelling tutorial in wood finishing effects and more.

• Like 1

Great start Doc - I'm with you, the oils look better and I'm sure you'll come up with something for the long grain :)

Prefer the look of the oils too, but as you say there are pros and cons with either option. Could you adopt both methods, or would they look inconsistent next to each other?

• Like 1

Ha ha - So long as I don't replicate The errors on the other bare skin Mosquito models in terms of aluminium/wood areas I'll consider it a result.

It would however be nice to get consistent (or clear) references to the upper and lower wing skin final layups.

Try Glynn Powell's site http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/gallery.shtml

That has build pictures from the restoration/re-creation of the woodwork for KA114 and NZ2308

Keith

• Like 3

This is a great idea that'll certainly make your Mossie stand out from the crowd. As for your test shots using a Tornado fin, for heavens sake don't show it to the MoD, it may give them some ideas for the next round of defence cuts!!!

• Like 1

Prefer the look of the oils too, but as you say there are pros and cons with either option. Could you adopt both methods, or would they look inconsistent next to each other?

Yes, as I said in the first post, the intention was to use both. I'd use decals on the vast majority of the airframe, with oils on maybe the tailcone and access hatches.