The WNW Camel is coming!

Admiral Puff

8 hours ago, Mark said:

What can I add that has not already been said? Duncan, you are a star, Sir! The packaging is of a class seldom seen these days. A huge shout-out and yes, you've secured my business too.

Your magnanimous gesture to Chris and Sophie was very thoughtful. A lovely, warm, fluffy, comforting piece of clothing to keep baby Jephcott warm at night. It's important to attend to our children's needs and I know that you have been hugely considerate whilst dealing with your customers; again, something that is lacking in today's society.

Now, my son has passed his driving test and needs a car...

Thanks Mark, I'm happy that you're happy. I'd like to think that I'm building a 'bricks and mortar' shop on the internet where customers can interact with a real person not some automated robot and where I get to know my customers a little too (it has to be fun for the customer but I want it to be fun for me too).

I'm not sure what type of wool Mrs B will need to use to knit a car but will find out (I suspect it'll be the same type as used by Alfa Romeo in the 1970's so keep it out of the rain).

Duncan B

• Like 1

I had this reply from WETA on Sunday 9 April in reply to my query re delivery. 

"Stock has just arrived into all warehouses so we should have your order processed within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience here."

We'll now see how long order processing and post takes. What are the odds on the Camel turning up by the weekend?

Chris

I get the distinct impression that Weta being part of the PJ business empire have had the whole WNW model kits package thrust upon them absent much choice and it is distinctly out of their comfort zone as a special effects/fantasy company. They have never (IMHO) demonstrated any real enthusiasm for it whatsoever and subjectively, Weta in their short time of handling the WNW kits sales & distribution saga (debacle) have possibly destroyed in as many months the peerless reputation for service and reliability that WNW built up over the previous number of years. That is a real shame as Dave Johnson and the NZ based WNW crew, in my own personal experiences over the years always ensured complete customer satisfaction and service .

Times change however and having recently experienced the service 'Duncan' (Black Mike) here on BM offers in supplying these kits, why anyone here in the UK would choose to deal with Weta directly these days is unclear to me.

Chris - give Duncan here on BM a go for anything WNW and I assure you that will be more than satisfied with the buying experience.

Gary

• Like 2

I did a little research a while back and discovered that Peter Jackson had withdrawn from direct involvement with Weta as a director citing issues with being responsible for Health and Safety in a business which he had little part in. I wonder if there was some sort of dispute behind the scenes and the situation with Weta's handling of distribution of his Wingnut Wings kits may have suffered as a result.

Hello and just a quick comment to join the throng of voices heartedly recommending Black Mike Models up there in highlands. My Camel BR 1 arrived shortly after payment well packaged on the out side and with thin black tissue paper wrapped rather mysteriously around it the inside......... nice. 

A very good on line shopping experience with free postage?  

Regards, Andrew. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMSLion said:

FWIW, WETA just hit my credit card for the Camels I ordered.  Maybe, just maybe, they might get delivered.

Likewise here - and I received a shipping notice from Weta this morning, as well.

Keep a stiff upper lip etc. everybody - they'll get there!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 4:15 PM, Bear Paw said:

Hello and just a quick comment to join the throng of voices heartedly recommending Black Mike Models up there in highlands. My Camel BR 1 arrived shortly after payment well packaged on the out side and with thin black tissue paper wrapped rather mysteriously around it the inside......... nice. 

A very good on line shopping experience with free postage?  

Regards, Andrew. 

Andrew, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the shopping experience, something we work hard on here so it's satisfying to get feedback like this.

The black tissue paper is to protect the beautiful boxes and to add a little up-market feel to the whole thing as is fitting of those amazing kits (can you tell I'm a big fan of WnW now?).

Cheers

Duncan B

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Andrew, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the shopping experience, something we work hard on here so it's satisfying to get feedback like this.

The black tissue paper is to protect the beautiful boxes and to add a little up-market feel to the whole thing as is fitting of those amazing kits (can you tell I'm a big fan of WnW now?).

Cheers

Duncan B

Yes Duncan I am getting that message, but it is hard not to be anything but.  I have one started and two un-made WNW so far but I will be putting an order in for the early Eindecker next month. I have put my purchase order in and it has been partially accepted so fingers crossed 🤞.  I hate living in a democracy......... 😏

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 8:05 PM, Duncan B said:

I'm looking forward to all the WIP and RFI's of all these kits in the future (no pressure!).

Duncan B

Couldn't resist swatting everthing off my workbench and starting one!

It is a pleasure to build.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

If you pre-ordered your Camel kits through the Weta site, they should have either arrived by now or be on their way.

In addition, Weta are sending out free copies of 'Sopwith Camel Squadrons' by L.A. Taylor, as a customer gift for having to wait for delivery of their kits.

Nice touch by Weta for those of us who pre-ordered and waited :smile:

7 hours ago, Sandbagger said:

Hi all,

If you pre-ordered your Camel kits through the Weta site, they should have either arrived by now or be on their way.

In addition, Weta are sending out free copies of 'Sopwith Camel Squadrons' by L.A. Taylor, as a customer gift for having to wait for delivery of their kits.

Nice touch by Weta for those of us who pre-ordered and waited :smile:

I was one that waited.

Well we will see what happens with getting a book in my neck of the woods. If they do send me one, then I should see it around about September:huh:

Received my Camel "Clerget" from Duncan at BlackMike earlier this week and couldn't be happier. 

I got it delivered to my works and actually got captured caressing the box. Can't wait to buy another.

• Like 1

It is a beautiful kit. I am working on a Br.1 at the moment and everything fits together :drunk: Crazy, who'd a thunk that you could get kits that everything all but clips together and are sooooo precise it's scary. Fuselage is done, Lower wing is done engine is being done, undercarriage/wheels are painted and will be going together soon then it is just paint the struts, decal the fuselage,put the top wing on, fit the bomb rack and bombs and rig the thing.

• Like 2

Yeah they are good. I've got a Ships Camel on the go at the moment. Just finished the cockpit and closing the fuselage together(so all the rigging of rudder, stick, etc disappears....but I did it!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beardie said:

I took photos of my cockpit just so I could remind myself that I actually successfully managed to rig all those fiddly little suckers.

Are you talking about the internal rigging? All I have done so far is read the manual, don't think I'll be making it for a while. But when I saw the drawing of that rigging my mouth dropped open. To be honest I didn't even know they existed.

Yup I am indeed. Six lines from the rudder and four on the stick plus bracing wires criss crossing the cockpit frames :drunk: It isn't actually that difficult just laborious as long as you are methodical and, of course it isn't neccessary if you don't want to do it as, once the cockpit is closed into the fuselage it will be pretty much invisible. Even the external rigging isn't absolutely neccessary although it is very satisfying once you have successfully achieved it.

• Like 2