The WNW Camel is coming!

Admiral Puff

9 hours ago, Stashaholic Steve said:

I haven't bought any WNW kits since Weta have been added to the food chain, and from what I'm reading here it all looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Makes me all nostalgic for the days when you could order direct, postage was free and - last but not least - the kits were still a relative steal. Yes 9 times out of 10 you'd get stung for tax and the "handling fee", but at least the ordering process was all pretty straightforward without any of this middle-man nonsense.

Yes, and when you didn't get stung, it was a bonus that put a big grin on your face

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beardie said:

I don't think the prices will drop from the new level but at least, if Hannants are really the go-to seller in the UK, it will be free shipping on most of them (over £100) they will be reasonably quick to arrive on your doorstep. There might even be competition between retailers meaning occasional special offers and, more importantly, a higher profile for the brand.

Prices: The only way is up!

Hannants:  Some consolation for them just replacing the $ sign with a £ sign.

Price war: One can but hope, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it.

Finally received an email from Hannants in regard of Back-ordering the Camels. I have been assured that they will be getting them in stock and that the price that you agree to when you back-order is the price you will pay.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Finally received an email from Hannants in regard of Back-ordering the Camels. I have been assured that they will be getting them in stock and that the price that you agree to when you back-order is the price you will pay.

Thanks. That's good news.

Got the Ships Camel on back-order, tempted by a Snipe as well.

Hmmm methinks they weren't actually ready for shipping but the company felt that they had to give their public something to look forward to still it gives me time to save my pennies. Do you have an inside track on the info Duncan?

• Like 1

I see from the Pheon web site (www.pheondecals.com/whats-new.html) that Rowan isn't expecting his until February or March. Doesn't look hopeful for we mere mortals!

I did note from the site that he will be making it very hard for me to avoid buying several of them, though - the Horus is a must, and hopefully the Aces sheet(s) will include Cobby's white/black one from Leighterton.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I see from the Pheon web site (www.pheondecals.com/whats-new.html) that Rowan isn't expecting his until February or March. Doesn't look hopeful for we mere mortals!

The constant pushing-back of the release date makes me suspect that all is not well at WNW. Also they always used to be keen to show at least some of the things they had "in development". Now though, nothing.

I would not be surprised if this were to prove to be their last-ever release (some may be generous and count it as 6 releases, but for me it's 6 boxings of the same subject). Although I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

45 minutes ago, Stashaholic Steve said:

I would not be surprised if this were to prove to be their last-ever release (some may be generous and count it as 6 releases, but for me it's 6 boxings of the same subject). Although I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

I've long suspected the Camel is the WNW bailout kit.  Their last three releases were the Felixstowe, the AEG, and the Albatros B.2 - all of only moderate interest, and the first two backbreakingly expensive.  Three duds in a row hurts. 

On the other hand, the Camel is a sure moneymaker.  Especially since there are enough variations and markings to allow WNW to reuse most of the molds and research for multiple releases.  This should get WNW a massive infusion of cash.

The other thing to remember is that WNW isn't a large firm.  If we assume design capability is roughly proportional to kit cost, we come up with the following ratio:

Single-seat fighter - 1

Single-engine two-seat airplane - 1.5

Multi-engine - 3

Variation on existing kit - 0.5

WNW has traditionally averaged four releases a year, typically two single-seat and two single-engine two-seaters.  This works out to about 5 points of design capability per year.  With the Camels, we've got the basic kit (1) plus four variants (0.5 x 4 = 2), for a total of three points used.  Maybe 3.5 if you count the Duellist set.  The implication being that there may be another release coming out later this year...or WNW may have lost some design capacity.

As to the release date, WNW doesn't own the entire manufacturing chain.  They are relying on kit plastic from China, decals from Italy, and PE from somewhere else.  Plus printed materials.  There may be a holdup.

Not to mention the whole WETA mess.  I would like to have sat in on THAT meeting.

I rather suspect that things were in flux last year and the whole Weta business didn't help. Myself I am hoping that the camel will indeed be the kit that brings them back from the brink. As Duncan B announced on his Britmodeller retailer section he now has rights to sell Wingnuts in the UK giving us at least two UK retailers and I gather that Uschi Van Der Rosten is now the European distributor for Wingnuts. I don't think these are the actions of a company on it's way out although I think they may have come close to disaster with the Weta sole distributor business.

I can't help but think that they need some more colourful releases of well known types (Albatros, Pfalz D.III, Spad, Fokker Triplane etc.) to boost revenue. As the molds for the first two already exist and there are still plenty of colourful options they could sling out, and I am sure plenty of us would snap them up for the stash, I am hoping to see some of those. :D

I think they will hold the Dr.1 in reserve, it's the other "bailout" kit subject.

What I think is likely:

1.  Se.5a with Viper engine.  The Hisso release clearly has Viper-related parts.

2.  Armstrong Whitworth FK.8.  Classic WNW subject...an important type that gets little notice.

3.  Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter.  Like the Camel, you can get a lot of subjects out of a set of molds with a few bits added on.

4.  Be.2c.  Not my personal favorite, but I think it'll sell.

5.  DH-5.  With the Australian connection of this airplane, it's another no-brainer for WNW.

6.  Sopwith Dolphin:  Recycle the Hisso engine sprue, add the rest of the airplane.  Sell some.

7.  Fokker D-VIII.  Exotic.  Simple. 

8.  Hanriot HD-1.  Another "never heard of it" major aircraft type.  Complete with Belgian and Italian markings.

Oh there are plenty to choose from :D You missed these ones that would be excellent to see in kit form:

Vickers Gunbus (another fantastic 'lattice tail'),

Breguet 14 (much ignored but often considered one of the best aircraft of WWI and made and used in large numbers by various countries)

Avro 504 (another much ignored but important aircraft)

Roland D.II (Another unusual aircraft and should provide an attractive build for the novice bipe builder with it's lack of cabane struts and it's 'so ugly it's cute' looks)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Oh there are plenty to choose from :D You missed these ones that would be excellent to see in kit form:

Vickers Gunbus (another fantastic 'lattice tail'),

Breguet 14 (much ignored but often considered one of the best aircraft of WWI and made and used in large numbers by various countries)

Avro 504 (another much ignored but important aircraft)

Roland D.II (Another unusual aircraft and should provide an attractive build for the novice bipe builder with it's lack of cabane struts and it's 'so ugly it's cute' looks)

PLUS a DH.4! 

And when all those top-sellers are sold and no money has to be earned any more, WnW could start to invest in something absolutely new and strange for each and every WW1-buff in the English speaking (and thinking) world: Planes from Österreich-Ungarn or even from Italia! Strange, eh?! And hard to imagine, I know... 

As has been mentioned before I wouldn't mind a 1/32 zeppelin for the back garden and a zeppelin Staaken of course plus Martinsyde Elephant, HP o/100, Hansa Brandenburg D.I, Phonix, Aviattic D.I Berg, Bristol Scout etc. etc. :D