The WNW Camel is coming!

Admiral Puff

Posted on the WW1 Forum this morning by WNW

Hi Everyone,

We are aware that there is an issue with the consolidation of multiple items for a pre-order of the Sopwith Camel.

Currently we have turned off the ability for Pre Orders from the Weta Store for the Sopwith Camel, and will will be in touch with those who have placed a pre-order shortly.

We will provide an update soon once the issue has been fully looked into.

Thanks

Dave

22 hours ago, Beardie said:

Aye but these are CAMELS man!!!!!! It's been a desert out there for so long, OK I know you Aussies already have plenty of camels but how many of them can fly? :D:D

Mate, you've not seen our camels!!

Looks as though the pre-order problem was some sort of glitch in the system - see above. Hopefully all will be sorted soon.

Sorry, please forgive my ignorance. I was referring to the 2  F1 night fighter camel. Dual vickers and a top lewis swing up mount near the trailing edge The pilot position had been moved aft to facilitate load and handling of the lewis I modded a 1/72 kit from a plan, I think from airfix magazine

I think the nightfighter was an F.1 with the cockpit moved rearwards by 12" to facilitate re-loading of the fitted Lewis guns in flight  and fuel tank moved forward. it was nicknamed the 'comic' fighter  That would equate I reckon to around 1.5mm of movement in the cockpit positioning at 1/32 scale which hardly seems worth it. The 2F.1 has a shorter wingspan than a standard camel. I would imagine that a bit of tinkering could turn a standard F.1 into a comic unless you were really worried about the 1.5mm inaccuracy in the cockpit position.

• Like 1

Beardie, your conversion is out, 12 inches at 1/32 is about 9.5mm (9.5x32=304mm) so it would be noticeable. Mind you I wouldn't like to hang out in the breeze to change ammunition as the pilots back then had to and under fire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crowe said:

Sorry, please forgive my ignorance. I was referring to the 2  F1 night fighter camel. Dual vickers and a top lewis swing up mount near the trailing edge The pilot position had been moved aft to facilitate load and handling of the lewis I modded a 1/72 kit from a plan, I think from airfix magazine

In 1/48th there's a resin conversion set (including decals) from Freightdog. Very good, I've used it. Various kits in 1/72nd, including Roden, which is also very good IMO.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
2 Pauls signed. Nixed one.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the correction Andrew you are absolutely correct. I don't know how I managed that :doh: Even at the time of posting I thought that 1.5mm seemed a rather small measurement to equate to 12 scale inches but I was being distracted by the missus wanting me to do stuff and so didn't follow up. :whistle: I make it 9.5 and a wee bit when I do the calculation properly so it would be a noticeable difference in cockpit location. I am guessing that this is the reason they haven't produced a 'comic' version as it would have a significantly different fuselage to the rest of the range.

I think that, with the choices on offer I am not too disappointed that there is no 'comic' Camel just as long as they bring out a 'comic' 1 and an arf strutter soon :speak_cool:

I must say that I am a little concerned. A few days now and the Camels still haven't returned to the Weta page, the Christmas message is still up on the Wingnut Wings website and Hannants have not even sent me any sort of reply to my request for information to reassure me that I will get my Camels if I use their backorder system. If they reappear on Weta I think I may well cancel the Hannants back-orders and go down that route as getting the kits is more important to me than possibly saving a few bucks (and that only as long as Hannants don't hike the price if/when they do get any in.)

Aye but the message on the Wingnut site says 'We will be back at work on the 9th' and they have clearly been doing something as they put the camels up on the Weta website and then they took them down again. I am just praying that they haven't run into some sort of production problem etc. as I think we are all keen to get our mitts on these beasties.

Right you are.  

I think production problems are less likely than IT though. 

'If' the Camel were to be available from mid Feb, say. Seafreight to Europe is what? Six weeks including customs to the Netherlands warehouse? They would have had to be on the water before Christmas.

Of course that is just my opinion, . . .

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, Howlindawg said:

I've just had an email from Weta - order dispatched.

The camels are coming!

Well my order arrived on Thursday and it's a Camel free zone.

So there's another timelapse conversation with Weta customer care in my future. :badmood:

Seems that it's all a bit of a cock up. Has the demand for this model has been overwhelming and are WNW and Weta struggling to cope? A bit of old fashioned patience might be the order of the day.

In the meantime I am studying the plans for a 1/6 scale F.1, 56" wingspan as a stablemate for my 52" SE5a for 4 function r/c.

I am guessing that the Weta experiment has failed and that they are going back to general distribution. Hannants have now got the entire range available on back-order at Weta style (plus UK VAT) prices.

38 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I am guessing that the Weta experiment has failed and that they are going back to general distribution. Hannants have now got the entire range available on back-order at Weta style (plus UK VAT) prices.

Now that is interesting......and 10% discount on those that are not in stock.

Yup it is ain't it? If I was to guess I would say that Wingnuts have lost patience with Weta and the problems they have been having and have decided that it is better for business to open up trade sales to other channels again. I can't see Hannants advertising stuff for sale unless they knew they could get the stock plus the fact that both Hannants and that German site mentioned above have the Camels which have yet to reappear on Weta. I think I might add one or two to my Back-order and start saving to pay for them while the shipment makes it's way to the UK.

I haven't bought any WNW kits since Weta have been added to the food chain, and from what I'm reading here it all looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Makes me all nostalgic for the days when you could order direct, postage was free and - last but not least - the kits were still a relative steal. Yes 9 times out of 10 you'd get stung for tax and the "handling fee", but at least the ordering process was all pretty straightforward without any of this middle-man nonsense.

I don't think the prices will drop from the new level but at least, if Hannants are really the go-to seller in the UK, it will be free shipping on most of them (over £100) they will be reasonably quick to arrive on your doorstep. There might even be competition between retailers meaning occasional special offers and, more importantly, a higher profile for the brand.