F-16D Thunderbirds (HobbyBoss 1/72)

F-16D Block 32 86-0041 flying in USAF Thunderbirds in 1992-2008. Pilot: Capt. Matt "Byrdman" Byrd. Technicians: TSgt Mike King and SrA. Rodney "Frenchy" LeBlanc.

Kit: HobbyBoss 1/72. Pilots from Revell F-16. Model build by my son Gustaw and me.

2972.jpg
2973.jpg
2974.jpg
2975.jpg
2976.jpg
2977.jpg
2978.jpg
2979.jpg
2980.jpg
2981.jpg
2982.jpg
2983.jpg
2984.jpg
2985.jpg
2986.jpg
2987.jpg
2988.jpg

• Like 13

Cool build and good to see your son in the hobby, I have been thinking about starting a collection of aerobatic display teams from around the world. Their schemes are very different from the usual camo ones. Already have a Red Arrows Gnat and Hawk to do.

For a second there, I thought the back seater had a can of beer in his hand but it's a camera.

• Like 1

what's the kit like?

The kit is simple as many HobbyBoss kits, but in some details it is too simplified in my opinion. It also has some errors in design:

• The most visible error is too long fin base. It needs to be shortened in front, reshaped and the whole fin should be repositioned. The changes are done in our model.
  • The nose looks too fat. We did not correct this. The model stands on our display next to Revell F-16B and resembles a pelican.
  • Pitot probe on the nose is too short, and the probe on the starboard side of the nose is missing. "Beer cans" are missing too. Corrected.
  • The canopy frame between two cockpits is not scribed. It would be easier to scribe it if the canopy was not too short...
  • We had lots of problems with Thunderbirds decals. The nose decals had to be cut to smaller parts and placed separately. Later I masked the nose along the decals and resprayed it. The lower fuselage decal is originally one big part from intake to rear fuselage and I cut it too. Under the decal we had the arrester hook and some other things that decals will never set to. I cut the decals there (decal solvents work really good) and painted the cracks dark blue.
  • Like 1