Heller 1/16th Citroen DS19

Hi all.

Been a while since I posted something on here, been busy building a few aircraft.(sorry about using the 'a' word!) So here is my latest something.

The Citroen DS19 is a car you either love or hate, there is no in between. Personally, I absolutely love it, it was so iconic in many ways, apart from the fact that it was WAY ahead of its time.

Seeing as this is a Heller kit, it has not given me any problems as of yet, and judging by my many test fits, I do not foresee any problems.(famous last words!). The engine bay is lacking a few bits and pieces here and there, some of these I will scratch build, but I will not go too mad, as I am not the best of scratch builders! The one thing that was missing that I found annoying, was the lack of any kind of HT leads, also there are a few bits of plumbing that are missing or I have replaced. Apart from that it all seems pretty good.

Most of the body parts have been sprayed, but not yet polished, the engine is pretty much finished, and I have made a start on the interior.

I think my one mistake is the fact that there is way too much red! If so, too bad, it will stay that way now.

Hope you like it so far. Next job will be making and fitting a headlining, as there is not one in the kit.

003_2.jpg008_2.jpg009_1.jpg011_2.jpg017_1.jpg019_2.jpg020_2.jpg

• Like 7

I am loving this, yet another iconic Citroen build. I have one of these kits in the loft that I bought a few years ago and have only ever seen one finished so it will be good to see this progress.

This car was so futuristic when it was introduced in 1955 in both style and technology and is most definitely one of those cars that I love. Dad drove them as demonstrators for many years and I can remember falling asleep on the rear floor as a kid, the foam under the carpet was thick and soft and being front wheel drive there was no transmission tunnel to get in the way. I have many memories of these cars, my favourite was the DS21 Pallas first introduced in 1966 (I think). I still have the brochure that announced the launch of the Pallas model but it's a bit dog eared with some pictures cut out.

I have now finished making and fitting the headlining, and the door panels are also completed. Still got a fair bit to do to finish the model, the dashboard has got to be assembled and painted, and this could turn out to be quite fiddly. The cabin side of the firewall has got to be carpeted, but this is fairly easy. After that the assembly of the kit can be completed, then a few 'extras' to be scratched and fitted under the bonnet, hopefully then it will be finished.

I must say that I have been quite impressed about the fit of parts on this model, a few bits and pieces have needed filing down a little to get a good fit, but nothing that an average kit builder can't handle. I am managing it, so it can't be that bad !!001_3.jpg003_3.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am afraid there will be no more to add to this build, as, unfortunately, I have given up on it. I thought the fit of parts was too good to last!! I should have known better, after all, it is a Heller kit.

The problems encountered were many, but to name a few.

1. Suspension and steering parts very, very fragile. If you so much as sneeze, they snap in various places. They broke so many times that it become impossible to repair them in a way that would not be noticeable.

2. Fit of body parts are atrocious, especially the bonnet, huge gaps that would be difficult to rectify without major surgery, and quite frankly the kit did not warrant all that time to be spent on it.

3. So called opening doors are a no go from the start, hinges very weak, and the way that you have to fit the doors would break them straight away. Fitting them closed is of course the answer, but again there are problems with gaps and alignment.

4. The instructions are wrong in many places, which I admit I should have studied them better in the first place, but there are still mistakes that you cannot really foresee until it comes to trying them out.

All in all a waste of many long hours, unfortunately it is not until half way through the build that the problems start to materialise.

After all this whinging, don't let me put you off buying the kit if you so wish as your patience may well be better than mine, although mine are usually good, but this kit got the better of me and I gave up on it. This is the second car kit from Heller that I have 'attempted', the first one is built, but I would not like to post any photos of it on here, it is that bad!!!

How very disappointing :( and I was really enjoying your WIP. I'd considered the kit as future build but I don't think I'll bother now.