Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Hi Bob.

David made that very clear to me.. But this painting issue is slowing me down big time and I need to resolve my AMS-ness and get going again. I can't do much until the hull and decks are done and in place.

Thanks for the info and the pictures would be great.

I was in the RAAF for 21 years, but what is a WAFU?

Cheers

Warren

OK. even though you might be thinking he has slackened off and has done very little to the Snowberry, you would be wrong as I have been doing stuff that tends to take hours and hours for very little result, well to the eye anyway.. oh, and I found out what a WAFU is...

First up I managed to warm the paint etc up to a decent temperature and splashed some matt black of the forward wooden deck, walkways and some other parts I would like to accentuate.

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

Then I started on the rear deck. First up I glurd the three sides together for the superstructure on the aft deck..

Flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

You may see that these are pretty large pieces of styrene and were a little warped so they took a bit of fiddling around to get them to line up and glue properly.

After I removed all the raised detailing on the roof I glued the roof on and started adjusting things to allow the PE roof to fit in place..

Flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Then I applied contact cement to plastic roof and PE roof, waited 20 minutes or so then bought the roofs together.

Flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

.. and applied one or two clamps to make sure it settles down nicely. As you can see when they say you really only use the hull of the original kit and that is about it they are not being that accurate. The aft superstructure and decks are used, and I believe using the plastic deck forward ends up giving you a nice strong base to put all your other brass on.

That's it for now

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

After I removed all those clamps I decided to paint the wooden bits of the forward and aft decks..

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

It may look a little washed out but to the naked eye, sans flash, the deck detail stands out just fine.

Next up I started the engine room skylight. First job is to bend up and glue the main structure..

Flower%2B2%2B4.jpg

Then you bend up the parts of the hinges that attach to the frame which you then glue into the frame..

Flower%2B2%2B5.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B6.jpg

Then after you have glued them in position you need to attach this piece to the frame and over the hinges after you bend those flaps 90 degrees.

Are we having fun yet or what!! :)

Pity the deck paint hasn't arrived yet...

Cheers
Warren

• Like 2

Greetings everyone.

Time for a small update covering tasks that took quite a while to complete.

First up, a close up of the decks wood to show the detail and how the pre-coating highlights the detail.

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

This area has now been masked up ready for me to spray the deck colour..

Flower%2B2%2B4.jpg

I hand-painted a little of the deck colour to show how it looks..

Flower%2B2%2B5.jpg

I see have some straightening to do on the edge of the deck.. smile.gif

The rivets on the deck are blending in with a bit of paint on them.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

Still loving your work, Warren, amazed how much you've got done in so short a time. I tend to get frustrated by large fingers and 68year-old eyes, not to mention the wife's "honey do list". The GLS stuff is amazing. I've seen completed models but never the construction. The anchor winch is incredible. Too bad a kit like Trumpy's Hood is about the limit of my available space. Keep it up, I'm really enjoying the build.

Saludos from Laredo, Texas

Gateway to Mexico, where it was only 103 in the shade today,

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I am lucky to have just on 53 year old eyes and hands then. :)

Cheers and glad you are enjoying the build.

Cheers

Warren

Hello boys and girls.

Welcome to another edition of 'Building Revell's Corvette' aka Warren's mortal stuggle with Lifecolor Paints.

Let us start at the beginning. First up I masked up the deck that has come up quite well using WEM Deck Grey..

Flower%2B5%2B1.jpg

Not too hard to mask. Then the fight began.. mad.gif

Ever prepared something for painting, sanded ever single square inch, wiped it down with alcohol and a lint free cloth, and got this?!?!?!

Flower%2B5%2B2.jpg

frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif no_talk.gif no_talk.gif no_talk.gif

That is my 15th attempt with Lifecolor Western Approaches White cut 60/40 with Lifecolor thinners.. I have never had an luck EXCEPT with brush painting.. but this is WAYYYYY to big to paint with a brush, well a hobby brush anyway.

I tried different airbrushes, different compressors and different rations with no luck at all. So I gave up..

Then I squirted some Vallejo Grey Primer into the airbrush, straight from the bottle as it says, and voila!!

Flower%2B5%2B3.jpg

No fish eyes here. Perfect cover.. Just needs a wipe down with a lint -free cloth to get rid of those bits on the surface. No fuss, no muss.. easy clean up.. Question is does Vallejo make the right colour or is it gonna be some mixing of paint in Warren's future?

All will be revealed in the next episode of 'Building Revell's Corvette', or Warren's blah blah...

The End

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

Lifecolour paints have their quirks Warren. If you apply them in a couple of very thin coats they behave themselves very well. Vallejo produce their acrylic primers in a large number of colours including white but the bad news is that it doesn't cover as well as the grey. Why don't you try a coat of the Lifecolour over the grey primer? If it goes pear shaped you can remove the paint very easily with methylated spirits rubbed over the paint job. Dissolves it like you wouldn't believe, (including the primer though so be warned there).

Really excellent build so far with great detailing on the rivets and the deck planking :goodjob::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 1

Great minds must think alike Mr Gremlin as that is exactly what I am about to do.

I also tested the enamel over the Vallejo primer and no crinkle finish has appeared even after a few hours od drying.

So following our idea about the Lifecolor paint, and even better I found an older airbrush I have that has a 0.3mm nozzle that may help, I have pre-shaded the rivets etc on the rear superstructure and will have a go there before I attack the hull. I can always get more Lifecolor if it works, or I have found a WEM supplier over here who is a little expensive, but at least they have them.

Thanks again Julian,

Cheers

Warren

Well , well, well... I finally worked out those Lifecolor paints and have successfully sprayed one side of the hull in Western Approaches White. It took a bit of trial and error, and the airbrush blocking up a few times before I worked it out. Seond side of the hull will get its first coat tomorrow the Good Lord willin' and the river s don't rise...

Cheers everyone

Warren

• Like 2

Well , well, well... I finally worked out those Lifecolor paints and have successfully sprayed one side of the hull in Western Approaches White. It took a bit of trial and error, and the airbrush blocking up a few times before I worked it out. Seond side of the hull will get its first coat tomorrow the Good Lord willin' and the river s don't rise...

Cheers everyone

Warren

Good to hear that worked out okay Warren. I noticed this morning in your blog that you had thinned the Lifecolour quite a lot. You might try a thicker mixture on the next hull side, I hardly use any thinner at all when spraying the Lifecolour paints, ( I do use a thicker needle though).

:winkgrin:

1 point fnaar, fnaar

• Like 1

Well I thought I had worked them out then my 0.3mm nozzle brush decided to block up with the same paint. I got a little peed off at that point and swore I would never ever buy these pain in the butt paints. :weep::wall:

Then I remembered my 30 year old Badger single-action brush I have and thought I would give it a go as you can vary the paint supply much more than you can with a modern dual action brush :hmmm:

Put the paint in the cup and tried to spray.. nothing.. No sign of any paint coming out of the cup.. tried blowing the paint back through the cup with no success.. must be blocked. Put some lacquer thinners in the cup and tried again. Still nothing. Put a piece of plastic rod down the spout of the cup and it came out with horrible looking rubbish from the elbow of the spout. Put more thinners in and gave it a good scrub.

Then I put it in the ultra-sonic for some time with methylated spirits and dried it when it came out. All clear finally! The only way I can spray with my old airbrush is to use my old, noisy compressor as it has the correct fittings for it whereas every other airbrush have the more modern standardised fittings. So I went out into the man-cave (garage) and set it all up ready to go. Did a quick check on the side of a cardboard box to check paint flow and blow me down it worked perfectly. So my thirty year old single action airbrush is the way to go with Lifecolor paints. Even though it was under 12 degrees C in the garage it seemed to go on fine. I then bought it inside to dry out over night. :thumbsup:

This paint problem has been a real roadblock until now. Still get a fish eye every so often for some reason but I can put up with them. Just wait for them to dry and paint over them.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren :shrug:

• Like 2

Glad to see you are working through some of these little problems you are having Warren still looking good even with the roadblocks :popcorn::popcorn:

Keith

Thanks Keith.

The hull is now white, but nothing like the warm white you see in the exaggerated colour chips. :)

Now I will leave it for a few days to dry as it has turned cold in Adelaide and is not getting about 15 degrees Celsius and the paint it taking a while to drive.

Cheers

Warren

This is coming nicely Warren - an enjoyable build with plenty of tips from your audience for us all to take note from and benefit from - the PE work is good for me to study too as I am not an expert using / bending / folding this stuff.

Gremlin56's note above is a good example of just how valuable builds like yours are for myself. When I first started using Lifecolour about 10 years ago, I never really got on that well with the Lifecolour white and lighter shades and decided many years ago to stick with Vallejo Model Air instead as it pretty much comes straight from the bottle - I am sure it was something I was not doing right at the time with the mixture of the Lifecolour or pressures etc. (and I admit it was during my earlier days of airbrushing) but it cost me dear to correct and I was loosing faith big time with the fish eyes I was getting.

A very helpful technician at airbrushes.com once told me to try using distilled water or even airbrush cleaner as a thinner and trust me, I have never looked back since and very rarely ever have problems airbrushing yellows, whites and paler shades now

Anyway - this is about your build not my problems, so good luck in the shipyard - keep your shipbuilders working hard..

John

Hi there John.

Now I can help you with anything to do with 99% of PE questions.But unless it is Tamiya or Gunze acrylics I haven't got too much experience with anything else.

Airbrush cleaner eh? Interesting. I know Windex doesn't work.. or Methylated Spirits, or Tamiya X-20A Thinner.. But the Lifecolor thinner works well, but only if you use an airbrush with a larger nozzle. My 0.2 and 0.3mm brushes clog all the time.

Cheers and thanks for dropping in

Warren

Well you may think that I have gone into hibernation after the cold weather has hit Adelaide, especially after living 8 years or so in Queensland, but you would be incorrect in your thinking.

Warren has been working hard to try and work out how to apply the correct white paint, Western Approaches White, to the hull and aft superstructure of the Flower-Class, and to prove I did work it out eventually I present the following pictures as evidence..

Flower%2B5%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B5%2B2.jpg

and..

Flower%2B5%2B3.jpg

After I finally got that on I got back to the aft deck pieces..

Flower%2B5%2B4.jpg

Note that the walkways have not been painted yet..

And finally some more work on the engine room skylight..

Flower%2B5%2B5.jpg

After the hull has dried for a few days I will mask it up and spray some WA Green and WA Blue on it. I then have to see about what colour the insides of the walls at the rear of the ship are and paint them BEFORE I glue the superstructure in position, otherwise I won't be able to get to the them easily.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

Hi there John.

Now I can help you with anything to do with 99% of PE questions.But unless it is Tamiya or Gunze acrylics I haven't got too much experience with anything else.

Airbrush cleaner eh? Interesting. I know Windex doesn't work.. or Methylated Spirits, or Tamiya X-20A Thinner.. But the Lifecolor thinner works well, but only if you use an airbrush with a larger nozzle. My 0.2 and 0.3mm brushes clog all the time.

Cheers and thanks for dropping in

Warren

You can use windex as a thinner actually, If you Google a bit you can find this mix:

30 mils water

30 mils Glassex (same as Windex)

1 mil Glycerine.

Works fine but has a rather yucky blue color.

If I am busy in the garage spraying paint and don't want to break off work to get the thinner from from my hobby room I also use a drop of Glassex in the paint cup to give a quick thin.

Just my :2c:

• Like 1