Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Here's hoping my skills are up to the test Kev.

I think I will be putting the deck in place next as I want to give it loads of time to dry before I start loading up all the brass that goes on it. I am actually doing a little experiment with this build as I am going to install the plastic decks unlike what it says in the instructions, as they will give far more support than the flimsy braces Revell supply.

I actually discussed this with Mr Parkins himself about this and he couldn't see any problems as long as a few holes were cit for clearance of the new brass bits.I have already cut a few holes and have sanded all the details off the decks to make them as flat as possible,

We shall see tomorrow.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Excellent, I'm following this one. Guess this just does not turn out great without aftermarket or scratchbuidling, or both... I'm hooked!

We will see eventually Phil as I have the Premium Edition to build as well .. :)

Lovely work with the edge, going to look amazing

Thanks Mate. :)

Nice work Warren, always amazes me how much patience you have with PE. The Vosper in the "Channel Adversaries" build had me ready to chuck the whole lot out the window at times.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr Gremlin. Coming from yourself that is high praise indeed.

Oh, by the way, I started glueing the deck on this afternoon!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Warren

Thanks Mr Gremlin. Coming from yourself that is high praise indeed.

Oh, by the way, I started glueing the deck on this afternoon!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Warren

That is an interesting experiment, hope deck stays connected to the plastic frames, (the headbone's connected to the neckbone, the neckbone's connected etc.........).

:)

Ah.. but that is where I am being very very sneaky Julian.. Ya see I am putting the plastic decks in position to support the brass ones better..

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

And I have found yet another use for tweezers.. if you shove 'em through the holes in the hull the hold the deck in position!!

Flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

And the with a strategically placed clamp the fore deck is almost in position..

Flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

After that the hull has been put aside to dry and I continued with building brass details..

First up the ward room skylight hatch,,

Flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

Then I went up the street to buy a scriber which I used to create some more petite rivets..

Flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Did some bending..

Flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

And finally bent up some davit bases..

Flower%2B1%2B7.jpg

That's all until tomorrow.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 8

I'm baaacckk... (queue insane cackle)

No it's OK, I haven't been sent mad by PE-itis, not yet anyway.

Time for another update to the Snowberry Saga..

First up, I built the Hedgehog Splinter Shield for the side of the main deck, next to the hedgehog launcher actually.. Inside view..

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Outside view..

Flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

No soldering to see here. Just used various CA glues for this one.

Next up, another splinter shield that goes in front of the bridge..

Flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

A little soldering here..

Flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

And the other side..

Flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

Then I decided to solder this shield into position as I don't think soldering on a plastic deck is such a good idea. First up I put the shield in position and after s little experimentation I secured it with some masking tape, no wear near it will get hot..

Flower%2B1%2B7.jpg

Have you ever seen someone pick up something that is hot then drop it very quickly? It seems heat and the weight of an item are directly related. The hotter something is the heavier it gets, so heavy in fact that some one will drop it it gets so heavy. That hasn't happened to me, in this build, but it has before.. :)

Next up the back of the shield after soldering..

Flower%2B1%2B8.jpg

And 'tother side..

Flower%2B1%2B9.jpg

I will clean it up later with the wire brush on my motor tool. I had to use my big-bottom soldering iron as my temperature controlled one just couldn't get enough heat into the huge heat-sink that is the deck and shield. I used solder paste and it worked great.

Anyway. that all for now. Tomorrow I am going to the hardware store and am going to buy some nice, strong contact cement and I will glue the foredeck in position.. I hope anyway! :)

That's it for now..

Thanks for tuning in,

Cheers

Warren

• Like 6

Big brass ones there Warren :winkgrin:

Indeed,,, :)

Ahh G Day.

Good to see some progress Warren shipmate.

I hope your not going to put that anywhere near water, it might sink with all that brass lol :winkgrin: .

Foxy :coolio:

I am pretty sure it would topple over and sink in about 2 seconds flat mate.. Believe me when I say I will be staying well away from any water... even the bathtub..

Warren, you are here as well with this monster of a project....cooooollll. Now, I can follow here as well, so I'm covered from both sites ;)

Mike

Don't get too excited mate! :)

Well, nothing exciting to show here except many pieces of diecast metal in a plastic container...

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Time has been taken up cleaning up the castings for the anchor winch. I have also started preparing the PE for said winch.

That's it for now.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Nice going Mr. Inman, very nifty work with the soldering iron :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Using the larger iron made it much easier than trying with the smaller temp controlled one. All that brass is a great heat sink.

Cheers Julian

Warren

very nice work there Warren I hope you are keeping count of all those rivets now I will be checking them :wicked:

Beefy

I can count them if you want me too, but I only have so many fingers and toes.. :(:)

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Me again.

Well as I keep forgetting to go to the hardware shop and buy the glue I need I suppose I will continue with the Anchor Winch.

First up one of the two brakes.

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

The brakes (not breaks) are made by laminating a number of parts together to produce something with some thickness rather than PE thick.

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

You won't see any evidence of lamination when it is all finished as I will fill the gaps with Mr Surfacer or similar and make it look like one piece.

Next I started on the winch itself with the front drives and the steam cylinders..

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

The drives are made using metal pieces and plastic rod. DJP do supply some diecast rod but one of mine had a fault and it broke while I was trying to straighten it. No problem really as I have a good supply of styrene rod in various sizes.

That's it for now,

Cheers

Warren

• Like 3