Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Also on fleabay too Thomas, if you have the cash I can heartily recommend the the tweezer nose pliers too, money well spent! I thought I'd lost mine and was over joyed at finally locating mine in a kit box.

Warren you must be mental, and skint! I prefer 1/350 but I keep looking at this kit and you've just made it more appealing! Those tags, wow, oxyacetylene?

How about one of these:

DSCN2948.jpg

DSCN2949.jpg

Special made for PE :hmmm:

I hadn't seen those before.

Might have to give them a try my friend.

Cheers

Warren

this is going to be awesome build..

hey mate been looking for a set of cutters like them where they from ?.

I will try and live up to your expectations Thomas.

Welcome aboard,

Cheers

Warren

Also on fleabay too Thomas, if you have the cash I can heartily recommend the the tweezer nose pliers too, money well spent! I thought I'd lost mine and was over joyed at finally locating mine in a kit box.

Warren you must be mental, and skint! I prefer 1/350 but I keep looking at this kit and you've just made it more appealing! Those tags, wow, oxyacetylene?

:D I think it may be a little hard to control the flame enough to allow the use of a gas axe mate.. :)

I am normally a 1/350 as well but I have had this kit from before I even bought one 1/350 scale kit.

Cheers

Warren

To cut PE parts out of the fret, I use a curved modelling knife, with the PE sheet on a glass tile. This works for most PE, for some of the GLS stuff I had to break a Stanley knife blade into 3-4mm lengths to produce a short "chisel". This was held by tweezers and tapped with a small hammer.

To cut PE parts out of the fret, I use a curved modelling knife, with the PE sheet on a glass tile. This works for most PE, for some of the GLS stuff I had to break a Stanley knife blade into 3-4mm lengths to produce a short "chisel". This was held by tweezers and tapped with a small hammer.

I hadn't thought of the Stanley knife. But I do use the curved blade for most of my PE removal. Just these attachment points are so huge the knife takes too long.

Thanks for the advise Niall.

Cheers

Warren

I am in a quandary.. I have just finished cleaning up the hull after its scuttle surgery and where I have cleaned things up the hull now has a nice, flat sheen due to all the fine scratches from the emery paper I used. What I am wondering is should i clean it up more to make the hull the same sheen all over or should I leave some plates rougher than others like that is what the plating was like when the ship was built. Any ideas?

I am in a quandary.. I have just finished cleaning up the hull after its scuttle surgery and where I have cleaned things up the hull now has a nice, flat sheen due to all the fine scratches from the emery paper I used. What I am wondering is should i clean it up more to make the hull the same sheen all over or should I leave some plates rougher than others like that is what the plating was like when the ship was built. Any ideas?

Put a grey acrylic ground coat on part of the hull and you can see what the effect will be like. If it doesn't look good a wipe with some methylated spirits will clean the paint away.

Put a grey acrylic ground coat on part of the hull and you can see what the effect will be like. If it doesn't look good a wipe with some methylated spirits will clean the paint away.

Good idea Mr Gremlin. Will give it a try. I am actually hoping a few coats of paint will hide the differing finishes.

Hi Warren

I feel your pain with those etch tabs.

Reference surface finish of the hull plates IMHO they would all be the same finish texture wise

Kev

Yessir.. you are probably correct there.

Thanks guys for your help.

Cheers

Warren

He's baaack...

Welcome to another update on the 'Little White, Blue and Green Corvette'.. Well if I decide to use one of those camp schemes anyway. The paints are on order from the AIrbrush Company, but it has been a month and they still aren't here. One wonders why they are not answering their emails.. One is not impressed and has contacted Paypal for a refund..

But back to the build. For some reason I sent into the hobby room and got out the kit instructions and noticed the parts needed to be installed before the propeller goes on the shaft. I duly cut the pieces off the sprue then found I didn't need any of them as the GLS kit for the rudder and prop has a diecast prop and a brass shaft to locate it with. Here is the prop after a little clean up of the rough bits..

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

The shaft is just sitting almost in place as I need to drill the prop out as the brass piece doesn't really fit,,,

After that I remembered about the deck supports you have to glue in position to help support the deck, PE and plastic, but the first one I put in looked like it wasn't quite strong enough for the job..

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

"Bugger" I thought to myself, well the word may have been a little more colourful, but you get the picture. After thinking for a bit I thought that just gluing some sort of support material to the weakling support may just do the job. After a few minutes tossing ideas around in my head I looked and the sprues for the items and thought they may just do the job. So I cut them out and they looked something like this..

Flower%2B2%2B4.jpg

Then, using copious amounts of extra-thin cement and copious numbers of clamps I attached these handily shaped pieces of spues to the spreaders..

Flower%2B2%2B8.jpg

And after they dried they looked like this..

Flower%2B2%2B14.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B15.jpg

See!! No bending any more! Cheap and cheerful engineering at its best! :) I am sooo modest... ( :mental: )

As the PE deck sits on top of the plastic hull, not in it like the kit, the supports have to be glued in place in a higher position than if you are using the kit deck. Ti make it easier to locate the supports for the fore deck in the correct position, and give the supports a little more ... erm .. support, I glued some more pieces of sprues to the brackets in the hull to add more supports for the .. supports...

Flower%2B2%2B5.jpg

After all that I brushed on some paint on the areas where I had polished earlier and they seem to look the same whether there are the tiny scrathes or the original hull..

Flower%2B2%2B7.jpg

Bit more of a clean up to remove all the sanding detritus and all should be well for painting ... if the paints ever get here Mr Airbrush Company.. Did I type that before about how they have taken more than a month to get to me?

I tended to jump around today with this build and thought I would attach the support for one of the forward ventilator intakes. So here we have the raw diecast intake..

Flower%2B2%2B9.jpg

It is pity it is not resin as it would have been easy to drill out.. A little black paint will add the illusion of depth.

But when you turn it over, Houston we have a problem..

Flower%2B2%2B10.jpg

That hole ain't gonna buff out, so I fell back on my old standby for filling holes like this, thin CA glue. Like the ad said, it gets in..

Flower%2B2%2B11.jpg

So after some clean up it ended looking like this,, no more hole! :boxing: Take that naughty hole...

Then came the second bit of bending with this kit, the support for said air intake..

Flower%2B2%2B12.jpg

Nice, easy stuff. This then gets glued under the deck, but at the moment it is in a plastic bag with the intake waiting for a lot of work to be done with the deck before it gets installed. But more of that later.

Next up we have the begins of one of the Rope Winches on the fore deck.

Flower%2B2%2B13.jpg

Now NORMALLY this would not need any soldering, but mine got specially modified when it fell on the floor after I bent it up. Guess where my foot landed when I went to push my chair back EVEN THOUGH I had checked the area and couldn't see it.. :weep:

Anyway, this is the first ever time I have soldered brass anywhere but for work and it was very easy with my temp controlled soldering iron. Hopefully the rest of it will be that easy as well.

And then I did one of the scuttles.. Four bends on a piece of PE you can't even see (the inside bit with the fake wing nuts) so I have a feeling I may not be doing any more of those. And instead of having to mask up the windows after they are installed I will use crystal clear or similar AFTER the hull is painted.

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

Well I can't do anymore on the main deck UNTIL my auto punch gets here and I get a chance to form approximately eleventy thousand rivets on the deck. After that is done there are another s&^tload to do on other parts of the decking. Joy.... But in the meantime I will continue with the scuttles.. only 40 of them, in the hull at least....

Stay tuned for another update

Cheers

Warren

• Like 6

Hi Michael.

It was a fair while ago that I got all my stuff, and not all in one go either. D J Parkins is currently running a special on complete sets of the PE.Or you can still but them a bit at a time like I did. I asked about discounts for full sets at the time but was told there wasn't. Then a while later this discount scheme came out....

Cheers mate

Warren

He's baaack...

Welcome to another update on the 'Little White, Blue and Green Corvette'.. Well if I decide to use one of those camp schemes anyway. The paints are on order from the AIrbrush Company, but it has been a month and they still aren't here. One wonders why they are not answering their emails.. One is not impressed and has contacted Paypal for a refund..

But back to the build. For some reason I sent into the hobby room and got out the kit instructions and noticed the parts needed to be installed before the propeller goes on the shaft. I duly cut the pieces off the sprue then found I didn't need any of them as the GLS kit for the rudder and prop has a diecast prop and a brass shaft to locate it with. Here is the prop after a little clean up of the rough bits..

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

The shaft is just sitting almost in place as I need to drill the prop out as the brass piece doesn't really fit,,,

After that I remembered about the deck supports you have to glue in position to help support the deck, PE and plastic, but the first one I put in looked like it wasn't quite strong enough for the job..

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

"Bugger" I thought to myself, well the word may have been a little more colourful, but you get the picture. After thinking for a bit I thought that just gluing some sort of support material to the weakling support may just do the job. After a few minutes tossing ideas around in my head I looked and the sprues for the items and thought they may just do the job. So I cut them out and they looked something like this..

Flower%2B2%2B4.jpg

Then, using copious amounts of extra-thin cement and copious numbers of clamps I attached these handily shaped pieces of spues to the spreaders..

Flower%2B2%2B8.jpg

And after they dried they looked like this..

Flower%2B2%2B14.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B15.jpg

See!! No bending any more! Cheap and cheerful engineering at its best! :) I am sooo modest... ( :mental: )

As the PE deck sits on top of the plastic hull, not in it like the kit, the supports have to be glued in place in a higher position than if you are using the kit deck. Ti make it easier to locate the supports for the fore deck in the correct position, and give the supports a little more ... erm .. support, I glued some more pieces of sprues to the brackets in the hull to add more supports for the .. supports...

Flower%2B2%2B5.jpg

After all that I brushed on some paint on the areas where I had polished earlier and they seem to look the same whether there are the tiny scrathes or the original hull..

Flower%2B2%2B7.jpg

Bit more of a clean up to remove all the sanding detritus and all should be well for painting ... if the paints ever get here Mr Airbrush Company.. Did I type that before about how they have taken more than a month to get to me?

I tended to jump around today with this build and thought I would attach the support for one of the forward ventilator intakes. So here we have the raw diecast intake..

Flower%2B2%2B9.jpg

It is pity it is not resin as it would have been easy to drill out.. A little black paint will add the illusion of depth.

But when you turn it over, Houston we have a problem..

Flower%2B2%2B10.jpg

That hole ain't gonna buff out, so I fell back on my old standby for filling holes like this, thin CA glue. Like the ad said, it gets in..

Flower%2B2%2B11.jpg

So after some clean up it ended looking like this,, no more hole! :boxing: Take that naughty hole...

Then came the second bit of bending with this kit, the support for said air intake..

Flower%2B2%2B12.jpg

Nice, easy stuff. This then gets glued under the deck, but at the moment it is in a plastic bag with the intake waiting for a lot of work to be done with the deck before it gets installed. But more of that later.

Next up we have the begins of one of the Rope Winches on the fore deck.

Flower%2B2%2B13.jpg

Now NORMALLY this would not need any soldering, but mine got specially modified when it fell on the floor after I bent it up. Guess where my foot landed when I went to push my chair back EVEN THOUGH I had checked the area and couldn't see it.. :weep:

Anyway, this is the first ever time I have soldered brass anywhere but for work and it was very easy with my temp controlled soldering iron. Hopefully the rest of it will be that easy as well.

And then I did one of the scuttles.. Four bends on a piece of PE you can't even see (the inside bit with the fake wing nuts) so I have a feeling I may not be doing any more of those. And instead of having to mask up the windows after they are installed I will use crystal clear or similar AFTER the hull is painted.

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

Well I can't do anymore on the main deck UNTIL my auto punch gets here and I get a chance to form approximately eleventy thousand rivets on the deck. After that is done there are another s&^tload to do on other parts of the decking. Joy.... But in the meantime I will continue with the scuttles.. only 40 of them, in the hull at least....

Stay tuned for another update

Cheers

Warren

Hi Warren

I am surprised at the Airbrush company response, I have worked with them for over 9 years (I teach airbrushing for beginners there) they are normally on the ball with customers have you tried phoning them to see what has happened to your order ? are you trying to order the new Lifecolour paint sets for the corvette ? you can order them from the scalewarship site http://www.scalewarship.com if you still have trouble with Airbrush company

Regards Robin

• Like 1

Hi Robin.

They finally got back to me yesterday and said they were having technical problems with their email lately. I must take them at their word as I have no proof one way or another. They have sent the sets again and hopefully these ones will get here.

Cheers

Warren

It's not the screw ups that count, only how they fix it afterwards! I sent my mum a bouquet of flowers through the usual interweb company last week, a few were already dying off when she got them. She phoned the florist and within 24 hours a completely new bouquet turned up! Now that is service! When I found out about it I called them myself to say thanks, lovely people. Bunches is the name. They'll always get my hard earned now.

I hope your paint people are just as good!

Well well well... THAT will teach me for rushing in to make some rivets without checking my references. You can hardly see the rivets on the real ship! Whereas the ones I have been inflicting on the deck are way too big!. Oh well, I can hammer them out a bit and make smaller, much flatter ones.

See this auto punch?

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

What ever you do don't buy one. Worked for about 20 punches then stopped punching.. sigh..

But on a much lighter note this arrived in the mail yesterday..

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

Fujimi's brand new 1/350 IJN Kaga.. :wub:

Cheers

Warren

• Like 3

Very nice, I trust it will also be decked out in a serious amount of etch?

If and when they bring some out for it I would say so moaning... :-)

Although Fujimi kits don't seem to attract much attention from the aftermarket in regards to etch. Fujimi release their own sets but their instructions miss 70% of the parts much of the time.

Cheers

Warren

Oh well.. the good ole bathtub curve strikes again.. (reliability thing)

I have been slogging through the scuttles.. Remove three PE bits and fold four screws over on the inner part... repeat about 40 times and it will be finished. One rather large problem though.. the rear portholes are bigger than the front ones and the GLS set only comes with one size.. Not good I am afraid. Will have to source some more scuttles somewhere...

Cheers for now

Warren

Oh, BTW, the Kaga looks to be beautifully moulded... :)