Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

It should be a wood slat platform with netting around the sides, about 4 ft or so tall. The idea was that a group of men could stand on the slat platform inside the flotation square while waist-deep in water. Very cold I suppose but better than drowning.

• Like 2

Time for a very small update after yesterday afternoon's efforts. First up I added the thwarts and floor to the 16ft dinghy..

flower%20a3.jpg

And I may have made a little mistake here.. I was looking at the AOTS book and could not see the strakes on the outside of the dinghy's hull, but I could see some in pictures of HMCS Sackville. So I decided to put one on either side rather than two, BUT should these have been om the inside of the hull rather than the outside seeing they are called bildge keels?

flower%20a1.jpg

flower%20a1.jpg

I am sure I will get my answer here.

Cheers
Warren

I am not sure either Mr Jockster that is why I posed the question. :)

One thing I couldn't realistically portray were the splinters I am sure the thwarts would have produced.. :shutup:

Cheers

Warren

Aha, I thought it was a pop quiz! Nice explanation from Chango. Every day's a school day!

Time for a very small update after yesterday afternoon's efforts. First up I added the thwarts and floor to the 16ft dinghy..

flower%20a3.jpg

And I may have made a little mistake here.. I was looking at the AOTS book and could not see the strakes on the outside of the dinghy's hull, but I could see some in pictures of HMCS Sackville. So I decided to put one on either side rather than two, BUT should these have been om the inside of the hull rather than the outside seeing they are called bildge keels?

flower%20a1.jpg

flower%20a1.jpg

I am sure I will get my answer here.

Cheers

Warren

Bilge keels go on the outside, Warren.

BTW, I can't remember if you are doing a Canadian or British version but as far as I know, only Corvettes in Canadian service had the square floats. Annoyingly, I had bought a set for my HMS Bluebell build and then discovered they were surplus to requirements.

Dave

• Like 1

Outside. The instructions explain where they go! - two per side on the large scale drawings by the Late John Lambert.

Corvettes have bigger ones!

Edited by DJPFlightpath

Bilge keels go on the outside, Warren.

BTW, I can't remember if you are doing a Canadian or British version but as far as I know, only Corvettes in Canadian service had the square floats. Annoyingly, I had bought a set for my HMS Bluebell build and then discovered they were surplus to requirements.

Dave

Have you still got your square floats Dave? I have only two for my Snowberry and was wondering if you would like to get rid of yours... for a fair price of course.

Cheers

Warren

Outside. The instructions explain where they go! - two per side on the large scale drawings by the Late John Lambert.

Covettes have bigger ones!

Geez, all that work on them and you can't even spell 'Corvettes'.. :)

Thank you David. Have you decided on a release date for the short foc'sle (is that how it is spelt?) version or are your smoked salmon supplies still plentiful?

Cheers

Warren

Warren, in my limited knowledge of rowing boats, I'd say that looks just about right?

What way up will it be on the main ship? Will that be seen?

Thanks Mr Spud. :)

• Like 1

Edited - just for you.

Warren - I spent 7 years developing the sets you are using. If I start the SF sets tomorrow it will be a year or so at the very earliest - possibly more.

Pretty please with sugar on top? :)

But seriously I would like to build one one day.

Cheers

Warren

Still on track for a great finish, Warren. Very nice work, and just shows what a good PE set can do for a kit.

Al

Hey wait a second.. it doesn't matter how good a PE set is if the person using it isn't very good with PE (like me!).. :)

Everytime I think I am getting close to the end I remember all the work still to do. Now where is that list again?

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Hey wait a second.. it doesn't matter how good a PE set is if the person using it isn't very good with PE (like me!).. :)

Everytime I think I am getting close to the end I remember all the work still to do. Now where is that list again?

Cheers

Warren

Ha ha, ok - what a good PE setter can do to a kit!

Have you still got your square floats Dave? I have only two for my Snowberry and was wondering if you would like to get rid of yours... for a fair price of course.

Cheers

Warren

Yes, I do stil have them and they are brand new and unopened:

GLS_Corvette_PE_0009.JPG

I think they currently go for about £11 and you can have them for £8 plus p&p.

PM me your details and I will get them in the post later on in the week.

Dave

• Like 1

Warren mate, don't ever doubt your skills with PE, you've used a heck of a lot and done justice to all of it. It's been really nice seeing some of these pieces come together!

It just gets betterder and betterder Warren :winkgrin: How much does it weigh since you have replaced nearly all the plastic with brass sheeting?

I would hate to see you, the work-bench and your build all simultaneously fall victim to the "China syndrome" and disappear through the kitchen floor, (might go viral on You-tube though if you manage to film it happening :winkgrin: )

:bye:

• Like 1

Lol... you may be right there Julian! :)

I might get rich out of the video, or my Wife might as I may be a little bit dead, especially if the heavy ship model clonks me on the scone! BTW, that Soviet MTB came out very nicely.

And now a quick update before I go overseas on a cruise. :)

But first I have to meet my brother for the first time and then afterwards attend the Clipsal 500 motor race in Adelaide.

First up, the bildge strakes are in place..

flower%20b1.jpg

As is the rudder..

flower%20b2.jpg

flower%20b3.jpg

Of course that top part has broken off once already. :)

Then I decided to assemble my new tools organiser..

flower%20b4.jpg

Which I managed to assemble totally backward at first..

And the things holding it together are the magnetic parts of a magnetic alignment jig I picked up from the USA.

fa6428be-8ea5-4483-a8c8-76870c9058b2.jpg

And that is it for tonight. I might get a short blog in tomorrow. Will see how busy I am.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone out there in MSW land.

I am back from my fortnight off and have done a little more on the dinghy and life rafts. I painted the wooden slats of the life rafts in white before realising that they should probably be wooden colour.. :)

flower%20b1_1.jpg

I did paint them later. Next up I have painted the hull of one of the dinghys..

flower%20b3_1.jpg

And finally, here are a couple of ship's wheels I forgot I had that came with a PE set I got from one of the people on this forum. He designed his own PE and got it etched elsewhere..

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/warreni21/flower%20b5_1.jpg[/img

That's all for now. Am still trying to work out how to do the ropes on the life rats. I am flummoxed at the moment.

Cheers
Warren