Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Well, it is that sad time of the week when freedom is almost at an end and it is back to work tomorrow.

Ooo!! And when is that set going to be released Mr Parkins?? :) (BTW I am a glutton, but I don't know how I will go on those depth charge rails!! :shutup: )

I got a few things done today. First up I added the big vent pipe to the funnel..

flower%2041.jpg

Then I started with the various lockers etc that sit on top of the chart room and boiler room..

flower%2042.jpg

All except that one are various sized lockers which I won't bother with here. Then I finished off the hedgehog..

flower%2043.jpg

flower%2044.jpg

flower%2045.jpg

That back area could have lots of wires etc and I may add a few before I attach it to the deck. All depends on how much of the lid is visible.

The rest of the day was spent painting lockers etc. Some things seen to need painting over and over. I have real trouble with sharp edges (eg roof and wall join). I normally have to do them lots of times until I get them right. Anyone know a fool proof way without resorting to masking tape?

Cheers all until next time
Warren

• Like 1

Ooo!! And when is that set going to be released Mr Parkins??

Given that I am getting old and lazy - it will be whenever I choose or when I can no longer afford any more smoked salmon - whichever is the earlier! I never set deadlines any more - people tend to try and hold you to them!

C'mon Dave! I am giving you all this free advertising! You could make enough to buy trawler loads of smoked salmon if you bring out the short forecastle version soon.. :winkgrin:

OK, I started the 2pdr, twin Vickers and bandstand set today. First up you build the bandstand and then the 2pdr. So you start off with a fairly large piece of brass that needs some work done on it to make it look like the actual item on the ship. Changing a flat piece of brass into a 3D part like so..

flower%2051.jpg

Only a few folds needed but don't forget to make the rivets before you start bending or you may be in trouble. Next up I soldered the sides of the little shed thingy..

flower%2052.jpg

flower%2053.jpg

flower%2054.jpg

And here is the completed product.

flower%2055.jpg

Then another part goes on top of the other part. This I used extra thin CA on and just squeezed it between them..

flower%2056.jpg

Next you need to attach this piece to the bottom of the other piece.

flower%2057.jpg

And here it is in place.

flower%2058.jpg

I soldered the first part then used CA to attach the rest of it. Then I bent and attached the base of the bandstand..

flower%20510.jpg

And that's it!

Cheers again
Warren

• Like 2

Thanks Mr Jockster, Sir... :)

Anyway it is time for another small update. I have attached the side shield and it's topping to the bandstand.

flower%2061.jpg

flower%2062.jpg

As you can see it needs a bit of cleaning up and I found that the solder would not stick to one end of the shield no matter what I did. I amost had one of those moments where things get damaged. But I resisted the temptation and super glued it in place instead.

Sometimes soldering can be very frustrating.

That's it for now. I think I may try soldering it again tomorrow with my bigger soldering iron. More heat input. Important thing to watch is that I don't melt other seams! ohwell.gif

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 1

Some things seen to need painting over and over. I have real trouble with sharp edges (eg roof and wall join). I normally have to do them lots of times until I get them right. Anyone know a fool proof way without resorting to masking tape?

Cheers all until next time

Warren

Hi Warren, great work as usual.

This isn't foolproof, but works very well: if you're dealing with flat topped detail like lockers, deckhouses etc, I paint the top whatever colour it is, then when it's dry, just turn it on its head and lay it flat on a sheet of newspaper or wallpaper. Then I can spray the sides and it leaves a nice, sharp edge. As long as your paint mix isn't too thin, of course!

Al

• Like 1

You know I have used that technique before without really knowing it is a technique.. :thumbsup:

Thanks Al. It SHOULD work great with the lockers... if I can stop the paint drying in the airbrush that is. The WEM Colourcoats are fine, but the Lifecolor is not good. And I am running out of the WEM paint..

Cheers

Warren

Hello again. It is Saturday morning and I took some piccies during the week and this morning.

First up my Shapeways items arrived during the week. An engine telegraph and wheel pedestal for my bridge..

flower%2071.jpg

These are 3D printed items. I am not sure how I will get rid of the fuzzy coating but I think the person who made these actually told me how.. I just can't remember at the moment.. :)

Then I decided to get a set of some other items for the model as well..

flower%2072.jpg

Can you tell what they are? All will be revealed after they are painted.

I also got some PE from the same person but it did not arrive unscathed..

flower%2073.jpg

Hopefully it is just bent and I can straighten it. This ship's wheel is also in the fret..

flower%2074.jpg

I am not putting in too much effort with this as you will hardly be able to see it when everything is buttoned up. Just that the wheelhouse would have looked very empty without something in there.

During the week I continued with the bandstand for the 2 Pdr. This has been one of the hardest PE bits I have ever constructed, and that includes the trusswork under the 1/350 Akagi deck! But finally here it is sans gun..

flower%2075.jpg

The solder not sticking for some reason did not help but I am not going to buy a new one, just slather on the CA glue. A close up of the voice pipe.. and said slathered on glue.. :)

flower%2076.jpg

Don't forget this is a macro picture and I doubt you will notice any glue once it is painted and together.

Next I started the 2 Pdr. This base is made up by laminating 5 pieces together.

flower%2077.jpg

Hopefully will get some more work done today and tomorrow.. if we don't get a new kitten in the meantime.. :)

Cheers
Warren

• Like 5

Greetings from Adelaide.

The gun is coming along nicely and I thought I would post some more progress pics!

First up the finished mount..

flower%2093.jpg

Next the gun and its brass wrapping..

flower%20914.jpg

I confess I made a mistake with this the first time and glued it all wrong. But it was easy enough to remove and re-glue it in the correct orientation (big word for this post).

OK, Then you laminate three parts to make up the elevating mechanism and glue it in place..

flower%20915.jpg

The mechanism is to thick for the slot provided in the gun casing, so you either need to make it narrower or maybe leave out the middle piece of the three you laminate together to make the mechanism. In this picture I attached the magazine to the gun..

flower%20916.jpg

But I removed it later as I am not completely happy with it. I don't have any real detail pictures of the item and I am leaving it off until I can find some. For a break from the gun I decided to install some collars on the rear intakes..

flower%20917.jpg

Then I got back to the gun and mounted the gun in its cradle..

flower%20918.jpg

flower%20919.jpg

flower%20920.jpg

Next up I started adding the sights on the left of the gun..

flower%20921.jpg

Then I used some pieces of solder to hold the second part of the sight, the blurry bit, in place while I glued it..

flower%20922.jpg

Then the shield went on..

flower%20923.jpg

Then the platforms at the rear of the mount..

flower%20925.jpg

And that was the gun completed. Oh except for the sights on the other side of the gun that I used the same solder-support technique for. Just snip off a short piece of thin solder and put it through the hole. You can easily snip off the excess later.

After the gun was put aside in a hopefully safe place I started on the ammo locker in the same set. The parts, three bends and a little glue later I had the basic box..

flower%2091.jpg

And that is when I decided to call it a day and have some dinner and watch TV for a while. Until this afternoon,

Cheers
Warren

• Like 1

Excellent... Thanks heaps Philp. They help heaps especially that one in the elevated position clearly showing the ammo box.

A final update to top off the weekend. First I will take up where I left off and here is the completed ammo box..

flower%2011.jpg

Then I cleaned up and glued together the two twin-Vickers gun mounts.

flower%2012.jpg

And their shields..

flower%2013.jpg

Next another thing I was dreading, another one of the ladders, but this time it has round rungs, not flat treads. I thought for a while how to do it then thought up using Blu-Tack to hold the uprights in place while I added the wire rungs..

flower%2014.jpg

That left me with this..

flower%2015.jpg

I trimmed the ends off, filed them flush then attached one of the upright's outer layers which I held in place with lots of tweezers..

flower%2016.jpg

And that is it for the weekend.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 8

Warren, this keeps getting better.

Soldering gets easier the more you do it - just remember that the joint has to be clean and hot. I would think that you had trouble in the corner as the cabin (?) was acting as a heatsink.

Nicely done with the ladder by the way - there's a solution to everything!

• Like 1

Thanks for those ideas Dave.

I have been soldering for a long time now. I was trained to do it in the air force and I have done it at home, but normally just with electronic components. The other time I used it was for hermetically sealing aircraft instrument cases. But this was done with a soldering iron with a tip that was at least an inch in diameter.

I think you are right re that joint, but I have super glued it now and I am not going to pull it apart to do it again. Maybe next time? :banghead: :banghead:

I am always eager for any help I can get with any part of modelling. The ladder just sort of came out of sub-conscious in a moment of inspiration.

I may patent the process.. :)

Thanks again

Warren

Time for another update.

First up, the last part of that ladder attached..

flower%2023.jpg

Next I have to fill in the gaps in the ladder's uprights with some Mr Dissolved Putty or similar. But that is when all the glue has dried. Then I proceeded to glue the shields on the Vickers guns, totally forgetting that painting will be a bit more difficult now. |:(

flower%2024.jpg

flower%2025.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness.. I then decided to tackle the one last thing from the mast set I was trying to avoid.. the vertical ladder. I then had a brainwave and decided to use two of my folding jigs to hold one of the uprights while I glued the rung section to it..

flower%2026.jpg

flower%2027.jpg

And a relatively short time later the ladder was ready for paint!

flower%2028.jpg

The knife gives you some idea on just how long this ladder is.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

Hello again.

Nothing much this afternoon just some painting. The white was already on but the grey tops needed a coat.

flower%2022.jpg

And the 2 pdr support..

flower%2023_1.jpg

These are all first coats. Then we have the twin Vickers'..

flower%2024_1.jpg

flower%2021.jpg

And that's it for now. Not much to go re-the GLS sets.
- Paint the mast
- Build the depth charge racks and small throwers on the deck
- Build the life rafts. Not sure if I will use these or the kit ones which are surprisingly good. But I have paid for them so I will probably use them. :)
- Build the lifeboat and its paraphenalia. I am waiting for the second one to get here that I didn't buy in my original purchase.

Then after that GLS set stuff I just have to..
- Put the roof on the wheelhouse.
- Put the funnel etc in position.
- Attach the 2 pdr after I put the bandstand in place.
- Paint the 2 pdr. Not sure if I will yet as it looks so good in brass and diecast.
- Add the decals.
- Rig the ship.
- Attach the rudder and propeller

And I am sure I have missed lots of other things. eg Anchors and chains that Mr Parkins was kind enough to send me a replacement set after I discovered the low melting point of diecast metal. Thanks again for that. No better service around.

That's it for now,

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

Looking really nice now, all those little extras are paying off. Cant be too long now? Keep the updates coming, really looking forward to seeing this one finish!

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Believe me when I say I am also looking forward to finishing,, :)

This is by far the longest project I have ever had.

Cheers

Warren

Can't wait to see the finished article! Excellent progress so far.

Thanks Spud. :)

• Like 1

Then you are going to have to buy a crane to lift the bugger and some scaffold to support your display shelf.

As always Warren, each new post as enjoyable as the last!

Thanks Jockster. :)

Crane is on order at the moment. It is getting harder and harder to lift down off the ex 'shelf-of-doom'. I have a new desk to assemble in my Hobby room (Man cave? Who wants to be in a bloody damp, stinky, dirty cave?). :)

I am sussing out (planning for non-aussies) a display case for it that may just come from the dreaded Ikea. I will have to make sure it has in-built scaffolding.

Small update later today.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

Another update on the weekend that was. This covers a few days/nights but is not too big as work has got a little fiddly at the moment.

First up was the first of the 16ft dinghys the Snowberry carried. The first step was to clean up some small bulges along the top of the dinghy to allow the PE top to stick properly. Bit hard to solder brass to resin.. smile.gif

flower%2021_1.jpg

Sorry that one is a little blurry but I am sure you get the idea. And with the clamps removed..

flower%2022_1.jpg

Then I started on the interior and had to bend this fragile bit first..

flower%2024_2.jpg

I actually had to ask Mr Parkins how this piece was to be bent as I couldn't see a second set of bend marks. But I finally worked it out.. bulb.gif

Then I had to glue some pieces to either end..

flower%2026_1.jpg

And then I painted the interior of the dinghy..

flower%2027_1.jpg

Not sure if brown is 100% correct (as I don't have any period colour photos) but it will do for the moment.

Here is the finished floor of the dinghy..

flower%20211.jpg

And then some thwarts (is that the right name for seats?)

flower%20212.jpg

Next up we have a picture of one of the kits liferafts. These don't look too bad to me once they are cleaned up..

flower%2025_1.jpg

But not good enough for this build so I started on the rectangular Carley floats I ordered. First you have to laminate 4 pieces to form the floor..

flower%2023_2.jpg

Then you glue it at about half depth of the sides..

flower%2028_1.jpg

Here they are together. Which one do you think is upside down?

flower%2029.jpg

And that's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

Thwarts is correct Warren. As for right side up on the floats, I thought they were designed for either side up so that they didn't need to be 'righted' when in the water! Now I have my doubts. Either way they look great!

The four pieces making up the floor, could they be woven together? The reason I'm asking is that I've never seen a close up so I've never been sure whether the floor was wooden strips or woven canvas straps!?

I am not sure either Mr Jockster that is why I posed the question. :)

One thing I couldn't realistically portray were the splinters I am sure the thwarts would have produced.. :shutup:

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1