Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

He's baaaa-aaacck..

Not heaps of progress but a little bit of bending etc.

First up the floor of the bridge keeps getting parts added..

The strip of brass you see under the planking had to be curved and attached

flower%205%203_1.jpg

Sorry but the piccy I took of the strip alone didn't turn out too well, but you can see it in this overall shot,

flower%205%201_1.jpg

Then the 'wooden' planking bit gets attached to the top of the strip. Then this little box has to be bent up and attached..

flower%205%204.jpg

I soldered the edges together. Easy to do with such a small item. Then it gets attached to the raised wooden centre bit..

flower%205%205_1.jpg

Like so. Then one of the plastic kit parts gets attached to the middle of the box. Havrn't seen it yet but it very unusual not to have a cast piece for the spot.

And that is it for this update. Lots more to do over the weekend hopefully. Have to go and have a look at some photos to see the colours in the area as there is some painting to do before I attach that raised deck area.

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 2

And thus it came to pass that another day of modelling (well a few hours anyway) came to an end just before 6pm and dinner.. Mushroom, Onion and Cheese Scrambled Eggs.

I concentrated on the upper bridge deck (as I did yesterday) and got quite a bit done.

First up were the speaking tubes dotting the open bridge..

flower%206%201.jpg

Please also notice that the rest of the things have been attached to the bridge bulkhead, The door on the right leads into a tiny room which the window lets light into. The locker on the right needs a bit of a touch up by the look of it. Notice also that the compass stand has been painted.

Then I bent and soldered the two search light decks at the rear of the bridge deck.

flower%206%203.jpg

And yes, that is supposed to be green anti-slip, aka Semtex (I thought that was an explosive).

Then we have two brass coloured thingies.. parts of the compass system if I am not mistaken. Not finished yet as I am sure the squat one needs more detail painting not called out anywhere.

flower%206%208.jpg

Anyone know where I can find a colour piccy of one?

Unfortunately one of the delicate pipe rail thingies didn't survive the journey. Hopefully its untimely demise will be covered by the extra set of these items I bought.

flower%206%202.jpg

And then we have a complete one being painted..

flower%206%207.jpg

Lots of rust opportunities with these which I won't be taking with this model as it is to be a museum model. I have another in the cupboard for the weathered one.. :)

Then I started making the searchlights for the searchlight decks. You take all these parts..

flower%206%204.jpg

Glue the shutters on the lights..

flower%206%205.jpg

Then attach the brackets to the smaller lights..

flower%206%206.jpg

.. using my bending blade to support the brackets while they dry..

And sometime tomorrow I will glue the light to the top of its stand.

And that's it for today. The cast parts normally take a bit of clean hence why the speed of the build is slow. I suppose all the details don't help.

One thing that is missing is any detail in the wheelhouse.. I have no idea what goes in there, size wise, and I don't think I have the skill to build a 1/72 ships wheel... so hopefully it won't be too noticeable when it is finished.. :shutup:

Cheers all
Warren

• Like 3

The "parts of the compass" thingy is called a pelorus. I gave no colour pics, but the two balls on either side are lumps of iron which are adjusted to make the (magnetic) compass as accurate as possible, by counteracting the magnetic distortion introduced by the magnetic field if the ship herself. They were often painted red (port ball) and green (starboard ball), though far from always. I would guess that the rest of the pelorus (the shaft) would be black if metal or varnished brown if wood, and the top would be polished brass. Hope that helps.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

You've been busy Wazza, those speaking tubes look fantastic. Very enjoyable build matey!

Thanks mate. Been going months now and still no end in sight yet.

Cheers mate

You seem to be having a lot of fun on this ship mate.

Great stuff. 'no not the Turkey' :banghead: your build .

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Thanks Foxy.. I think.. :)

The "parts of the compass" thingy is called a pelorus. I gave no colour pics, but the two balls on either side are lumps of iron which are adjusted to make the (magnetic) compass as accurate as possible, by counteracting the magnetic distortion introduced by the magnetic field if the ship herself. They were often painted red (port ball) and green (starboard ball), though far from always. I would guess that the rest of the pelorus (the shaft) would be black if metal or varnished brown if wood, and the top would be polished brass. Hope that helps.

That is excellent thank you.

Cheers

Warren

And now for a very quick update..

flower%206%203_1.jpg

The smaller of the two sets of search lights on their supports, and..

flower%206%202_1.jpg

Yes, I have installed my first pipe rails! One word of warning with these.. they are pretty delicate so make sure you buy enough to cover any breakages.

That's it!

Bye for now
Warren

Anyway, after a weekend of computer problems I am back on line and have a bit of an update.

First up the painted compass thingy and repeater..

flower%207%201.jpg

After I finished the sticky-uppy bits on the bridge deck I started on the two wind deflectors. These were mounted on the front of the bridge either side of the part with the windscreen. The first thing I did was bend the first one the the wrong way. After moving it a few times it snapped off. Great I thought.. I then repaired it with a bracket and some solder and got it lined up really nicely, and realised it was still wrong!! I had to desolder it and try again., this time I got it right. You can see the old solder on the deflector on the left.

flower%207%202.jpg

And a few more shots of these complex items..

flower%207%203.jpg

flower%207%204.jpg

And upside down..

flower%207%205.jpg

Then I took a bit of break and soldered and glued a couple of lockers for the bridge..

flower%207%206.jpg

Then the instructions asked for the running lanterns to be installed. I used Araldite for these.

flower%207%207.jpg

Oh and look it looks like it has drooped a little. Marvellous. And here is a look at the front of the bridge with its first coat of paint, and sans the wind deflectors.

flower%207%208.jpg

That's it for now. More progress over the Christmas Holidays!! :)

Cheers
Warren

• Like 2

Ho ho bloody ho... :)

Merry Christmas to all and hope you have a great 2016.

Now that's out of the way it is down to business. Having a very quiet Christmas means I got a few hours at 'The Bench' today, and here are the results of my labours..

First up I painted the front of the bridge again, with the airbrush this time, and a few bits and bobs..

A flag locker which WAS one of the most difficult things I have built. .

flower%202%201.jpg

Then I built this like raft jacket rack which turned out to be even more difficult..

flower%201%203.jpg

Uprights still need to be painted. Then I painted the following bits..

flower%201%202.jpg

flower%202%202.jpg

flower%201%201.jpg

Then it was time for the direction finder on the front of the bridge..

flower%201%206.jpg

I had a couple more of the DF but they were not too good so I didn't bother with them.

That's it for today.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6

Sometimes I deel like putting it aside for a while, but I am afraid it will become the first denizen of the shelf of doom...

Thanks again Julian.

Cheers

Warren

Salute Sir, great work!

have a flowerclass lying in wait, great to see that PE work, and all the resources! happy new year, happy modelling

Bert

Edited by Skybert

Thanks Sarg and Bert. :)

Happy New Year to one and all and welcome to my first update for 2016. If you had told me back in June I would still be building this thing I would have laughed at you. I believe I am past half-way with the building bit, but have lots of other stuff to do after that is finished.

Be that as it may lets get on with the update, which will be in two parts as it is a bit big.

First up was the bridge wing supports. These consisted of quite a few parts, one support I super glued the pieces on whereas the other one I soldered , just to see which turned out to be easier.

A couple of pics of the glued one..

flower%208%201.jpg

flower%208%202.jpg

Then the soldered one..

flower%208%203.jpg

Glued one may look a bit cleaner but the soldered on is much stronger, and you can clean it up with a rotary wire brush.

Then the other sides of the supports with the centre brackets in place..

flower%208%204.jpg

Both have since been painted and put aside.

Next up was the shed under the radar antenna. This started as a flat piece of brass which required a few rivets to be pressed into..

flower%208%206.jpg

After that I bent it up and attached the top plate for mounting the antenna to..

flower%208%2010.jpg

Then the bracing brackets were attached..

flower%208%2011.jpg

Then one of the few kit parts used as the mount for the antenna..

flower%208%2012.jpg

Then I started on the antenna itself. First up the brass was heated to make bensing easier..

flower%208%2013.jpg

Then curved it..

flower%208%2014.jpg

Then soldered it up to form the outside of the antenna..

flower%208%2015.jpg

Then the centre part was glued in place..

flower%208%2016.jpg

And that is all for the moment. Next update should be up in an hour or so.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

Welcome to Part 2!

Had to eat my dinner and rather than risk losing it all I saved it. Next up I glued the antenna to the base..

flower%208%2018.jpg

Then I laminated together two parts of the stanchions to form one thicker one and glued them in place..

flower%208%2019.jpg

To date, three have been knocked off.. Remember what I said about sticky uppy things? :)

Then a coat of paint..

flower%208%2021.jpg

And that was put aside to be attached to the deck later. Next up was the lantern part of the radar. Two flat pieces of etch trimmed and soldered together to form the inner and outer parts..

flower%208%2022.jpg

As it turned out the outer would not even go close to goinfg over the inner so I de-soldered the outer nd cut it into a number of smaller pieces I then soldered to the inner to form this assembly..

flower%208%2023.jpg

Sorry it is a bit blurry. After cleaning it up with my little wire brush I test fitted it to the platform..

flower%208%2024.jpg

After that I took it off and sprayed it WA White...

flower%208%2025.jpg

Does anyone know what colour it is supposed to be inside?

Then we have a couple of smaller than 1 mm brackets for the platform..

flower%208%2026.jpg

Then to glaze the lantern I found some clear plastic my toothbrush came in and cut it to the correct width.

flower%208%2027.jpg

Using Window Glue I put two pieces in place and clamped them with tweezers. We will see if they stuff tomorrow..

flower%208%2028.jpg

Then I went and grabbed all the voice-tubes I had been fiddling with and glued them in place on the deck..

flower%208%2030.jpg

And that is it for now. Next up is glueing the deck in place and the wing supports.

Cheers
Warren

Happy New Year mate, excellent work as we are accustomed to :goodjob:

You snuck in there Julian!!

Happy New Year to you and Mrs Gremlin.

PS the Russian PT Boat came today.. :)

• Like 4

You've been a busy boy then mate, lots of nice stuff going on there. The bridge equipment looks really good!

Thanks mate! :)

Your metalworking is very neat and tidy, is there any plastic left on this ship :winkgrin:

Andy

Hmmm.. there was that mount for the radar aerial.. :)

Cheers mate

Warren

This is great modelling. Each part is a 1/72 model in itself.

Great narration too, very entertaining! I've used up my day's quota of likes on your thread so far!