Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Warren -

That might be so - but out of necessity some of the items on Sackville are simplified replicas. The Oerlikon mounts and bandstands are another good example. Our shell holders are dimensioned from a large scale John Lambert drawing. The 3D printed ones do not convince IMHO.

I see you had no trouble working out which of the four kit bridge parts our instructions referred to so don't be too hard on us!

DJP

Agree re the 3D ones for this build. But I wanted to have a look. I need a better picture of the shell holders. I haven't looked in AOTS yet but will tomorrow.

I wasn't being hard on you David, just giving you a chance to improve your already impressive product. I just followed the Revell instructions as you suggested.

I am enjoying this build and havr another in the wings awaiting the release of your second Corvette version. I have an appointment with a locomotive after this build.

Kindest Regards

Warren

PS Do I owe you postage for the replaacement anchor shackle?

Keep up the good work, cant believe the detail with the etching.

Welcome aboard Paul.

I have used

- the hull

- the fore and aft decks

- Engine room

- the lower part of the bridge

- various small deck fittings

And that's about it that I can think of.

Thanks for looking

Warren :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Contrary to what you all may be thinking I have not totally stopped my Snowberry build, but I have slowed down for a few weeks now..

I have been on the part where I build up the bridge structure for quiet a while, and here are some photos of it..

flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

And then I masked it up ready for painting the green and blue bits..

flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

And that is how it sat for a little while while I was painting the blue and green bits. Then I removed the masking tape this morning and a slight problem arose.. One of the masking tapes I used had left all its adhesive behind when I removed it.. ^&%^&%^&%&%&^%&^&%!!

Too say I was a little peeved would be a slight understatement, but instead of flinging the bridge into a corner and crying I went to the cupboard and got the only thing I know that removes adhesive, eucalyptus oil. It may remove adhesive but unfortunately it also removes WEM Colourcoats paint... so all that lovely warm white I had masked up with that USELESS tape got removed.

I then removed all the residue with alcohol then sanded the bits for good measure before brushing on the paint. Didn't feel like setting up the spray booth etc for such a small job.

After that disaster was fixed I masked up the brass frets where the planking is for the wooden floors of the bridge and painted them black to try and accentuate the nail s and grooved between the planks. I will paint it deck buff tomorrow morning. No wood grain will be applied as this is 1/72 and when you look as wood from scale distances you don't see no wood grain. Same as this idea that you can see panel gaps on aircraft.. or that all aircraft are always filthy dirty.. madness I tells you, madness!!

Anyway. enough for now. Might have another update for tomorrow.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 1

[How's this for feast or famine.. yes this is a fairly large update after I managed to sit at the hobby desk for over 6 hours today.

First up, the brass wood bits had to be painted black first to try and pick out the details better, and to act as an undercoat of sorts. So it was out with the trusty Tamiya XF-1 and some X-20A Thinners and on went the black..

flower%2B3%2B1.jpg

Just on that, have you ever had a brand new piece of equipment to use but continue to use the old one? This spray booth has bits broken on the side panels but I still keep using it for some reason when there is a brand newy in the wardrobe.. :)

Then I hit the black bits with Deck Tan XF-55..

flower%2B3%2B2.jpg

flower%2B3%2B3.jpg

See how the details are bought out a bit?

Next up the repaired bridge structure..

flower%2B3%2B4.jpg

flower%2B3%2B5.jpg

I can't remember if I have posted piccies of the painted hose reels either..

flower%2B3%2B6.jpg

Detail work not done yet. Then we have a couple of different types of life raft stowage assemblies. Bottom view..

flower%2B3%2B7.jpg

And view from the side that will be facing the water..

flower%2B3%2B8.jpg

And another type..

flower%2B3%2B12.jpg

flower%2B3%2B13.jpg

Then a painted gun before the camo colours are applied..

flower%2B3%2B9.jpg

flower%2B3%2B10.jpg

Then I applied the planking to the bridge external walkway..

flower%2B3%2B14.jpg

Never can have too many clamps..

flower%2B3%2B15.jpg

I must have gone a little heavy with the Buff there as the detail is not as sharp..

flower%2B3%2B15.jpg

And finally, an ladder..

flower%2B3%2B16.jpg

Which are some of the trickiest things to build.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

There is a mistake in the kit's instructions, the side parts are the wrong way round. The raised bars represent sliding doors and these should be at the front of the structure.

Here are the drawings I did for my flower build -

Wheelhouse_Build_zps688e5169.gif

• Like 2

Something amazing happened this afternoon when I realised it was time to attach the bridge to the deck. And while I was there I thought I would put the main gun in place as well.

flower%203%201.jpg

flower%203%202.jpg

flower%203%203.jpg

Hmmm.. don't know what Google have done to their photo hosting but the location is about 17843 characters long!! And there is no file extension there as they are far too long. Back to Photobucket!

Oh well, the bridge will be being attached this evening then I can start putting the upper deck on etc.. after it is painted of course...

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 2

We are having Christmas in November here today with Weber-baked ham, turkey and roast vegies followed by home made cupcakes... Can anyone say food coma?

But anyway, I thought I would do a quick update.

The bridge is fastened to the deck now. And now it is time to prepare the roof of the wheelhouse (or whatever the lower bridge deck is called).

Here is an overall view of the current work stuff..

flower%204%201.jpg

Then the roof itself...

flower%204%203.jpg

Which threw up some interesting bending requirements.

Then we have the front fairing of the bridge itself..

flower%204%202.jpg

It is sitting waiting for some bending action tomorrow. If I survive dinner...

Cheerio for now!

• Like 2

Would my PE design for the wheelhouse, and other parts be of any use -

Left end of the fret -

Flower_PE_WH_SH_CW_BDW_1_zpsvt5y5rua.jpg

Right end of the fret -

Flower_PE_WH_SH_CW_BDW_2_zpsnqzz3itf.jpg

Not sure on the cost as its a while since I bought 1, also if the etching company will post it direct to you there will be no VAT(20%)

Would my PE design for the wheelhouse, and other parts be of any use -

Left end of the fret -

Flower_PE_WH_SH_CW_BDW_1_zpsvt5y5rua.jpg

Right end of the fret -

Flower_PE_WH_SH_CW_BDW_2_zpsnqzz3itf.jpg

Not sure on the cost as its a while since I bought 1, also if the etching company will post it direct to you there will be no VAT(20%)

Hi Niall.

I could remove the present wheelhouse and use that one maybe.. Can you work out a price for me?

Warren

The parts on my fret are the sliding doors on the outside of the wheelhouse and the interior detail. These parts are added to the kit parts and not a replacement for any kit parts. I'll get in touch with the etching company tomorrow.

OK. Another part of the bridge is done. Well except for a few folds.. :)

flower%205%205.jpg

Oh I forgot, there is also a strip to solder around the base, but that is being done on the weekend. Here is the setup I used to hold the pieces in position.

flower%205%203.jpg

I also folded up some left over brass strip and used it to make some brackets to give the joins some more strength.

flower%205%202.jpg

Just like the two in that piccy.. two you say? yes, there is one under the solder at the bottom of the photo. The soldering is a little messy but it won't be seen when it is all finished.. No idea what colour it has to be in there as yet but I will look at my photos on the weekend.

And that is it for now. I am going to solder the structure onto the roof of floor of the upper deck where it will sit just like in the following piccy..

flower%205%206.jpg

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6