Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Condolences on the family loss Warren. On a cheerier note, it's good to know you made good use of a man-flu sick day off work - the progress is always fun to follow here.

I went to the doctor yesterday and it is a man-virus I have.. cough, hack,,, sniff.. no progress for a while now... :crying:

Don't know what you are missing :winkgrin:

I don't want to know! :)

oooh Warren - a Man Virus you say. Evil things they are. Gotta be worth a good week off work for a sympathetic off-work modelling recovery process to properly work as the best prescribed remedy - possibly 2 weeks depending on the complexity of the model ! These women of ours just don't understand what a hard life it is for us men when we fall ill -

:winkgrin::winkgrin:

John

cough, cough... sneeze!!!

This thing sux and I an gonna inflict violence on the person who bought it into work... well maybe not but I did give him a good bollocking on Tuesday about it.

I must go to work today though as I have to go to my Father-In-Law's funeral tomorrow.. That is 2 and a half hours away on the bomber from Adelaide to Brisbane... urgh...

cough, hack, pootooie!!! (Into the bin of course.. is that thing moving?!?!?!?!)

Hello everyone.

Well the funeral is over. Memories remembered. But I still have this bloody virus that doesn't want to go away.

But enough of all that. I have got some stuff done over that past week or so and I thought I would share it with you.

I am now building the 4 in Gun and it's associated paraphernalia that sat on the foredeck of the Corvette and made submarine's lives a real pain in the butt if they were on the surface. First up are the stanchions that hold up the wires running around the edge of the stand..

flower%2B1.jpg

Two pieces laminated together then the attaching bracket attached to the base. The holes for the wire had to be drilled out as well.

Then we have the same stanchions and the two ladders that go on either side of the stand..

flower%2B7.jpg

Each of the ladders is in lots of pieces you need to assemble. I use CA glue rather than solder here.

Next we have the stand itself. First up you need to attach its support underneath..

flower%2B5.jpg

Notice the solder around the edge were I attached the edge of the stand. Not too hard if you have a nice big soldering iron and some of the solder paste.

Some more details of the stand..

flower%2B3.jpg

flower%2B4.jpg

Here is the stand with the wire mesh surround installed. I put it in place with CA glue..

flower%2B2.jpg

Then I sprayed it the RB White colour then masked it up and sprayed the grey on the deck of the stand..

flower%2B6.jpg

It is still wet in that picture. This morning I removed the masking..

flower%2B9.jpg

Next up I need to attach the stand to the foredeck then I need to manufacture and attach 36 of these..

flower%2B8.jpg

That is a 10mm square it is sitting in so it gives you some ides of the size. This could be some PE that will finally stop me but we will see how the next few go. Or I might be lucky and find the 3D printed ones I saw earlier..

cough, cough.. gurgle, sniff..

Cheers
Warren

• Like 1

Well, here we go with the last update for the weekend.

First up I have installed the 4 inch gun platform..

flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

I had to take off the wave-breakers and the davit, and do lots of trimming of the base, but it is in place, and the wave-breakers and davit platform in place.

Then I started on the gun itself..

flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Then the base the gun sits on..

flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

flower%2B1%2B7.jpg

And that's it for now. Next update may not be for a while as I only have this week before I leave for my annual road trip to the Supercheap 1000 at Bathurst.

This year we are going via Brisbane so I can pick up the 1/35 trains I built for my Father-In-Law. My Mother-In-Law doesn't want anything to happen to them so I have to devise a way to get them home via Bathurst, about 2600km in total. We shall see.

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 5

As requested...

A very quick update...

My new improved anchor chain came the other day..

flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Now all I need to do is stain it black.

Then I got a few of the brackets for the gun shield bent up and soldered..

flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

I chose to solder these for added strength.

I am off on my annual pilgrammage to the Mount, Mount Panorama that is. Forst up though I have to drive to Brisbane, that's 2200km away from here... then another 1000km to the Mount, and then another 1100km back to Adelaide.. all in the space of about a week. The reason I explained that is that I won't be able to be doing any updates until I get back and actually do something to the model. Maybe by the 13th I might have some news for you.

Cheers for now,
Warren

Smashing work on the etch side there Warren mate.

Slow and easy does it!!!!.

:popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

It is going to be interesting attaching the gun shield as the instructions are not really clear. I am using the awesome photos in the gallery that some disturbed person put up for our perusal. Thanks again Dave.

As you typed foxy, slow and steady...

• Like 1

Hi Warren

thanks for the latest update

No problemo mate! And here is another one..

The gun shield is soldered. and here are the results..

flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

And in the shield...

flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Not all the detail is in yet but it is not far off!

Cheers all

Warren

• Like 6

Shield is superb - not a hint of visible solder. BZ

That's a great looking gun and shield, no sign of any joins, I am always impressed by your detail work,

Andy

Thanks guys. This new solder paste I am using is awesome stuff.

Cheers

Warren

Hello Everyone.

Well after a week at work to recover from my holiday I actually sat down at the bench for a while today... Yes yes I know that is amazing but here is an update for your viewing, and reading, pleasure.

Most of the stuff I did today involved painting bits for the 4 inch gun mount.

flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Lots of little fiddly things, a few ready ammo boxes, stanchions and some ladders. I am mixing up what white I paint what parts between these two,

flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

for a little variety.

While I was waiting for those to dry I started reading the hedgehog and bridge instructions. I found a small mistake in your instructions Mr Parkins.

flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

See where it says to assemble parts F13 etc etc as per kit instructions? Well the kit instructions say differently..

flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

It should read F13, F16, F17 and F18.. which I have glued together and will leave a week or so to set..

flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

Then, because I didn't really want to bend and assemble each of the shell holders, for a number of reasons, I bought some 3D printed ones. Underneath..

flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Top..

flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

flower%2B1%2B7.jpg

As you can see from the following photo you do lose a lot of detail..

flower%2B1%2B8.jpg

But I still have the brass parts and when I have a break later I may just do them if I can find a good photo of one.. There are only 38 to go after all... well 39 if that one is incorrect, 0.0%, rubbish etc etc.

Cheers for now
Warren

• Like 5

It does, but will my sanity survive. I also only have pictures of the holders on the HMCS Sackville and they are completely different agai but much closer to the 3D printed ones.

Cheers

Warren

It does, but will my sanity survive. I also only have pictures of the holders on the HMCS Sackville and they are completely different agai but much closer to the 3D printed ones.

Cheers

Warren

Warren -

That might be so - but out of necessity some of the items on Sackville are simplified replicas. The Oerlikon mounts and bandstands are another good example. Our shell holders are dimensioned from a large scale John Lambert drawing. The 3D printed ones do not convince IMHO.

I see you had no trouble working out which of the four kit bridge parts our instructions referred to so don't be too hard on us!

DJP