Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Back again.

Next up I gave the mast its first coat of RN10..

flower%20b9.jpg

The plastic and brass rod I ordered arrived ..

flower%20b11.jpg

And I cut some to the approximate length I needed for the supports for the 2 pdr platform..

flower%20b12.jpg

You can just see them in this picture..

flower%20b15.jpg

I then went back to painting bits and pieces until I did all I could and decided to start on the depth charge set. I have posted the PE fret before and here is all the diecast pieces you get..

flower%20b16.jpg

I started cleaning up the depth charges with a flexi-file but the ends will be a bit harder as I don't know whether it will be possible to remove the mould deams without losing all the detail on the ends. May have to get the advanced set for them yet.

We shall see

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Dave, too save you having to worry about the end plate details the Advanced Detail set is a worthy addition. I will be keeping it in mind for my next Corvette.. :shutup:

First up does anyone have any idea what colour the depth charges were on the HMCS Corvettes with the western approaches scheme? I have no clear reference except for the HMCS Sackville and those DCs are missing their sabot things.

OK. On to the depth charge set. I had already put together the base of the thrower from two parts and before I cleaned up the base of the thrower itself.

flower%20b1_7.jpg

There is picture showing a completed thrower in a tic, but them I started on the DCs themselves. These are the brackets the DCs were put into after they were installed on the thrower..

flower%20b2_7.jpg

Then we have a completed DC with the sabot and bracket installed.

flower%20b4_7.jpg

And here is the photo of the assembly fitted into a thrower..

flower%20b5_6.jpg

Next I stated on the chocks the depth charges sat in while they were waiting to be loaded into a thrower..

flower%20b3_7.jpg

Notice the top two were not well moulded. Luckily there are a few spares and these ones won't be needed.

flower%20b3_7.jpg

Here they are painted and glued in place.

flower%20b7_2.jpg

Then I painted them en-mass.. but I am using this as an undercoat until I can find out the correct colour they should be painted.

flower%20b10_1.jpg

I then took my nice, bright copper anchor chain and made it look a little more realistic by blackening the chain using a special acid I can't remember the name of..

flower%20b8_2.jpg

This is not the chain that comes with the kit but is the right type with the extra cross pieces in the links.

That's it for now. Please don't forget the colour of the depth charges and throwers please.

Regards
Warren

• Like 3

The depth charge throwers seem to be the same colour as the superstructure behind them. The shoes on the depth charges are light grey(AR507C).

The depth charges could be a variety of colours, dark grey(AP507A) seems the most common, although American made ones seem to be a medium green(Brunswick Green?).

The depth charge throwers seem to be the same colour as the superstructure behind them. The shoes on the depth charges are light grey(AR507C).

The depth charges could be a variety of colours, dark grey(AP507A) seems the most common, although American made ones seem to be a medium green(Brunswick Green?).

Thanks Niall.

Hi Philp.

The problem with the pictures of the ones on Sackville is that the saddles they placed the DCs on are nothing like the ones in the kit, which look like the ones in any period photos I've found (which is a grand total of one!).

I think I may be getting a little anal with this aspect of the build and will use the picture of the un-restored DC and thrower as my guide.

Thanks

Warren

• Like 1

Welcome once again to another update.

First up I installed the supports for the depth charge rails on the aft deck.. the back of the ship for all those non-ship people out there.. :)

flower%20b9_1.jpg

Then I started on the 'fun' bit, construction of the rails themselves. You start by removing this peice of metal from the fret..

flower%20b1_8.jpg

Then you fold it in a couple of places..

flower%20b2_8.jpg

flower%20b3_8.jpg

And you end up with this.

flower%20b4_8.jpg

Then you have to put one bend in the base of the assembly..

flower%20b5_7.jpg

.. which you then place in the rail assembly..

flower%20b6_4.jpg

Later you will find out this is not correct but it is too late as you have securely soldered the piece in position and desoldering such a large joint without a proper desoldering machine is just too hard. But thats OK as it is not all that visible especially when you have a load of depth charges in the rails.

flower%20b7_3.jpg

I really did think the base was going to be the right width to fill the base of the assembly but it was a few mms out. Oh well..

Then after attaching lots of small brackets and angle and the smoke pot holder you end up with this ..

flower%20b8_3.jpg

The smoke pots got painted along with the depth charge throwers (again) ..

flower%20b9_2.jpg

Sorry it is on its side but PB wouldn't rotate it for some reason.

Now for some hints and tips.

1. Don't paint this stuff before you assemble it. The tolerances are fine and you will just need to remove it from the joints anyway. And you also need to anneal some parts to bend them which will just burn the paint off anyway.

2. Read the instructions from the start to the end of a step completely before starting it. David has a habit of putting crucial details after they are needed making things a little difficult to remedy at times. :)

3. A number of small parts will need 'adjusting' before they will fit in position.

and 4. I followed the instructions and attached the supports to the rear deck, remember that? Don't... apart from making it almost impossible to paint the rails later without getting warm white all over your nice grey, deck it is not possible to get the assembly in position to allow you to press it down into its 4 support frames. Trust me on this..

That's it for now.

• Like 3

What a master class Warren.

Because I sit in front of a PC all day, playing with 3D CAD, I refuse to have one at home. Since I found this build, I've been coming in to work early just to see if there has been an update from you.

Never been interested in ships, boats (Ok when is a ship a boat or a boat a ship???) before but this has really fascinated me.

What a master class Warren.

Because I sit in front of a PC all day, playing with 3D CAD, I refuse to have one at home. Since I found this build, I've been coming in to work early just to see if there has been an update from you.

Never been interested in ships, boats (Ok when is a ship a boat or a boat a ship???) before but this has really fascinated me.

Hello there.

OK, a ship carries boats.. that is the definition I always fall back on. :)

Hmmm.. I sit in front of a PC all day as well but I have three of them here on my desk as well.. If I didn't have themn I wouldn't be able to produce this little blog thingy for your enjoyment. :)

Cheers and thanks for the huge compliment,

Warren

wonderful progress Warren...truly a lot of work is going into this build, and it looks great!

Do you like spinach as well? I know I do.. although they sometimes call it Swiss chard here. Not a big fan of English Spinach really.

Thank you

Warren

We know Popeye loved the stuff, but the question is: why spinach? The answer, it turns out, all goes back to one little mistake.

In 1870 German chemist Erich von Wolf correctly ascertained the amount of iron in spinach, but while transcribing his notes, he accidentally misplaced a decimal point: instead of recording that spinach had 3.5 milligrams of iron per 100-gram serving (as is the case), he wrote that it had 35 milligrams.

This is a huge amount, if that calculation were actually correct, "a 100-gram serving would be like eating a small piece of a paper clip." But this was the "fact" that went out into the world, and as it wasn't corrected until almost seventy years later, in 1937, spinach enjoyed a long tenure as the most vaunted of vegetables.

Which brings us to Popeye: these huge health claims did not escape the notice of the studio that created Popeye, which is why they chose spinach as the superfood that gave Popeye his strength. In reality spinach may not have been as powerful as they thought, nutritionally, but it certainly had a powerful PR effect. According to Arbesman, "Popeye helped increase American consumption of spinach by a third!"

Ha! Fascinating stuff. So, now you know the backstory of Popeye and his spinach!

• Like 3

I thought spinach was spinach what ever country it came from.

Great work Warren.

Love your PE work.

foxy :coolio:

It was when I was a young person too foxy, but as usual the 'we need to complicate everything' brigade then took over.

Thanks

Warren

popeye has quite a history.......more than that :) I wasn't born yet to have seen his beginnings in the comic strip 'thimble theater' .....spinach wasn't used to give him added strength until much later. in the beginning there was stroking the head of a 'whiffle hen' , a short stint where he sniffed garlic, and then to spinach by 1938. next to the three stooges, Popeye was my favorite. and yes, I do like spinach.:) in the U.S. Allen foods released canned spinach with Popeye on the label. one can I tried and kept the can........another is still in the cubboard. don't eat it.......soggy as hell {I should look at the expiration date on it}.

A very quick update..

Bits for depth charge winches..

flower_b1.jpg

flower_b2.jpg

There is no way I could get the little hooks to fit through the brackets and get the top piece through the hole as well.. So I removed the hooks and glued them on again later.

More later..

Warren

• Like 1

Hello all.

I am up to that part of the build which always seems to take the longest, the fiddly bits.

I have attached the depth charge rails and other paraphernalia and will take some pictures this afternoon (if I remember) but doing things like pipe rails etc are going to take a fair bit of fiddling around.

But you never know I may even finish it before the builds first anniversary..

Cheers
Warren

Thanks Nicolas.. :)

Another quick update..

First up a few of the rope reels for the dinghys in progress..

flower%20b1_9.jpg

flower%20b2_9.jpg

Next the dinghys themselves have progressed..

flower%20b3_9.jpg

And lastly the depth charge rails in place..

flower%20b4_9.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6

I'm wondering if those really thin strips on the floors of them boats should have been the spaces between wider strips, and the strips themselves should be where the wide gaps are now. Makes me wonder if something went wrong in the PE-designing. You're doing a great Job though I drop in here after every update. Makes me want to build my Corvette which is still untouched in my stash.

Peter

looking great Warren :)

Thanks Popeye.. you still luvin' Olive Oil? :)

I'm wondering if those really thin strips on the floors of them boats should have been the spaces between wider strips, and the strips themselves should be where the wide gaps are now. Makes me wonder if something went wrong in the PE-designing. You're doing a great Job though I drop in here after every update. Makes me want to build my Corvette which is still untouched in my stash.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Time for another quick update. Was going to spend the day on it but as usual the Wife had other plans, but I got some good slabs of work done.

First up I completed the rope and tackle assemblies for the dinghies..

flower%20b4_10.jpg

Then I got onto the rope rail stanchions that all required to be painted white. Like the larger ones some of them where already broken on arrival and they are so delicate that it is almost impossible not too lose a few more during cleanup..

flower%20b1_10.jpg

More were added to the casualty list later. Clean up took a fair while..

flower%20b3_10.jpg

flower%20b2_10.jpg

Then I came up with a way to hold them all to paint them then allow them to dry without handling them..

flower%20b5_8.jpg

flower%20b6_5.jpg

After I removed them from there 'holder' only a few required a little cleanup. The next part is to paint the bases of them. Not sure if they will be grey or white as yet.

That's it for now. More exciting adventures tomorrow.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 3

I got a fair bit done over the weekend, although you wouldn't know as much of it was very fiddly stuff like pipe railings etc. The wire rope ones should be a doddle compared to them! :)

And here are some of the rope railing stanchions painted..

flower%20c4.jpg

Then I finished off the block and tackle assemblies for the dinghy stanchions. These are rather big dinghies at 16ft long and I assume very heavy as they are made of wood..

flower%20c3.jpg

I also got the 'rope' grab lines around the dinghies done. I am hoping they will sag a little more realistically over time..

flower%20c2.jpg

And that's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4