Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Greetings all out there on the Interweb!

Now for an update on the current state of the Snowberry.

A funny thing I saw when going to remove the roof of the boiler room from its sprue..

flower%201%201_4.jpg

Why did you bother Revell. I think most people would know the origins of the kit... :)

First thing this morning, after applying a few coats of grey to diverse pieces of the model, like these amm boxes..

flower%201%203_4.jpg

I decided to tackle the funnel next. It is a lovely piece of PE and comes pre-rolled. Only hard bit was getting the araldite inside the funnel. After I did that and let the two coats dry for a little while I applied the brass and wrapped it is a couple of elastic bands until it dried..

flower%201%202_4.jpg

Next I decided to paint the 20mms and apply the sites I left off previously not wanting to knock them off while painting,,

flower%201%204_4.jpg

flower%201%205_4.jpg

Then I applied some PE to some air intakes for the boiler room. Strange thing is that I had already put one of the PE pieces on each of these itemsbut I can't remember when I did it.. or what PE set the pieces came from..

flower%201%206_3.jpg

Then I prepared the brackets the 20mm gun-tubs sit on on the deck. After I painted them..

flower%201%207_2.jpg

.. I cut them out and bent them as required. Then I went back to the funnel where I applied extra-thin CA cement to the top and bottom of the funnel to fill in any gaps the araldite missed..

flower%201%208_2.jpg

And apply the funnel cap..

flower%201%209_1.jpg

Remind me ot paint the interior black. See the nice detail on the funnel..

flower%201%2010_2.jpg

That's it for now. I will paint the boiler room and funnel tomorrow with any luck.

Regards
Warren

• Like 7

Coming on nicely, Warren.

I realise that I may be jumping too far ahead with some advice about the GLS depth charges so feel free to tell me to go away and come back another day.

You have to fit PE discs to the ends of the white metal depth charges. However, if (like me), you glue the PE to the ends of the depth charges without reducing the width of the depth charges by the same amount, then they won't fit into their white metal cradles that are fitted to the deck.

Unfortunately, I now have to remove all of the discs from one end of my depth charges, sand them and reattach the discs! :banghead:

Dave

Coming on nicely, Warren.

I realise that I may be jumping too far ahead with some advice about the GLS depth charges so feel free to tell me to go away and come back another day.

You have to fit PE discs to the ends of the white metal depth charges. However, if (like me), you glue the PE to the ends of the depth charges without reducing the width of the depth charges by the same amount, then they won't fit into their white metal cradles that are fitted to the deck.

Unfortunately, I now have to remove all of the discs from one end of my depth charges, sand them and reattach the discs! :banghead:

Dave

Go away Dave... :)

Just kidding my friend! That is very interesting and one of the little things that can set a project back a bit. Hopefully the man who makes this stuff is reading and can make some modifications maybe? My main want would be much smaller attachment points for th PE. Much less slean up would be required.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Ve Vill Vipe out England! :fuhrer:

OK... :) Bit hard to wipe out a country where everyone is against you, rather than invade a country (France) where most of the populance is for you.. Silly Mr Hitler... :)

Hope you are liking the build though...

Nice work Warren mate.

The 20mms really look the part.

Fair bit of brass in use here.

Cracking work mate. :thumbsup2:

foxy :coolio:

Thanks Mr foxy.

Hopefully some more progress today.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Go away Dave... :)

Just kidding my friend! That is very interesting and one of the little things that can set a project back a bit. Hopefully the man who makes this stuff is reading and can make some modifications maybe? My main want would be much smaller attachment points for th PE. Much less slean up would be required.

Cheers

Warren

No - this is not a mistake. Far from everyone who uses our main Depth Charge Set uses the D C Additions Set [which we only released long afterwards anyway because some punters wanted the full works on the ends of the DCs]. The DCs are designed to be the right width as they are supplied in the main set. You will obviously have to reduce the length of the castings to compensate for the extra 'etched' length you are adding. It tells you in the instructions for the additions to file off the detail! We can put a further reminder in the instructions but it is pretty obvious really.

As regards tab width - its a compromise, because we are always being asked by our etcher to use wide enough tabs so that parts do not get caught in the rollers during the production process, twist back on themselves and fall away off the sheet.

I have limited experience, having only been building etched kits [mainly in model railway] since 1976 - but for myself, I only rarely use a blade to cut through a tab [where it is impossible to get to with scissors]. Otherwise these are what I use - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-240...e=UTF8&qid=1451914365&sr=8-4&keywords=fiskars

You can cut through the tags, hard up against the edge of the part - and little or no further cleaning up is required. Very quick.

Anyway, you will always have some cosmetic cleaning up to do on exposed edges due to the 'cusping' of edges that is an inevitable part of the etching process - see your pictures of the completed Oerlikons above.

Regards,

DJP/GLS

www.djparkins.com

Can I ask how the soldering works in PE mate? I tried it on a 1/72 ladder and platform set a few months back, but the heat of the soldering tip made the whole ladder curl up, so that sort of took my courage away and I went on with superglue.. But I can see how soldering has much more filling capacity than glue to overcome joints, folds and crevasses, and makes for a nicer end product. Do you have to use that soldering fluid first you use on printboards?

Oops!! Sorry mate I forgot the reply!

I have started using the solder paste you get in syringes. It is flux with solder suspended in it. It melts at a relatively low temperature and you can use ordinary solder with it to top up the amount you put in a joint.

The GLS deck set has a marvellous soldering guide in it which shows very clearly how to use ordinary flux and solder as well.

I use a temperature controlled iron and have had no trouble woth things melting etc, only problems with introducing too much heat in one assembly and it de-soldered the otherside which upset me slightly..

That;s it for now. I will add soldering comments to further posts (if I remember) :)

Cheers mate

Warren

• Like 2

New Hedgehog Set arrived yesterday thanks David.

And thanks for the extra shackles. I promise I won't melt these ones.. :)

I also ordered another dinghy set. The first time I tried to pay it stuffed up for some reason but the second time, order #3010, worked fine.

I have also started saving for another set for my other Flower, although I might wait for the short forecastle set to come out.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Flower mk2 should be even better than this one, yes? :evil_laugh:

Seriously, you're making a cracking job of this one Warren.

My friends father was a radar operator on HMS Cowslip. I've often fancied doing a model of her but she had a different stern to the model which I don't fancy trying to do. :banghead:

You mean you're going to do this all over again??!?

Erm, maybe not straight away.. :)

I would like to do a short forecastle one but that set hasn't been released yet.

Flower mk2 should be even better than this one, yes? :evil_laugh:

Seriously, you're making a cracking job of this one Warren.

My friends father was a radar operator on HMS Cowslip. I've often fancied doing a model of her but she had a different stern to the model which I don't fancy trying to do. :banghead:

Oooo that smarts!! :)

Yes, I believe it would be, if I do one with all the GLS stuff or just build it straight from the box..

Thanks Dave

Warren

I have also started saving for another set for my other Flower, although I might wait for the short forecastle set to come out.

Another one totally nuts brilliant but absolutely Bonkers :banghead::banghead:

Beefy

Happy Australia Day (for yesterday).. :)

Thanks Beefy.. :)

I have got the lurgi so stayed at home all day yesterday and spent it mainly either sleeping or in the hobby room so I got lots of little fiddly bits done.

First up, I attached the supports for the 20mms to the deck..

flower%20100%201.jpg

Then I attached the roof to the radar lantern..

flower%20100%202_1.jpg

After those two I attached the cage to the crows nest..

flower%20100%203.jpg

Then one of the vents on the stack..

flower%20100%204%20-%20Copy.jpg

And a little mast off that..

flower%20100%205.jpg

My new hedgehog set arrived during the week so I formed up the part I destroyed earlier and put it in position in the base..

flower%20100%206.jpg

Its the bit with all the slats...

Then it was the turn of the 20mms to get their magazines fitted..

flower%20100%207.jpg

Here is a piccy showing the mast in position (but not glued yet)..

flower%20100%208%20-%20Copy.jpg

Then I attached all the little pieces to the yard arm and installed it on the mast..

flower%20100%209%20-%20Copy.jpg

Then I tackled something I was dreading. one of the long ladders. This one goes up the stack, or will when I attach it..

flower%20100%2010%20-%20Copy.jpg

And that was it except for a few other things I didn't photograph as they were very minor.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 7

Its coming along nicely, looking very nice!

Bob

Thanks Bob. :)

maybe I should catch myself one of those Lurgi monsters looks like it has the effect of getting you to do more work on the model :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beefy

lol.. You don't want this one mate. You need too many cold and flu tablets and way too many tissues! :)

cough, cough... sniff!!

Cheers

Warren

I can't get over just how much etch you are using.....Anything more than a couple of light-guards has me grumbling as a rule! :mental:

But it sure does look the part! :thumbsup:

Yes mate there is more etch than plastic in this kit. You use the core of the kit parts (hull, some decks, engine room, wheelhouse, boiler room and map room but the rest is etch..

Thanks mate

Warren

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a air quick disconnect for a Paasche airbrush with the small airfitting? Or at least give me the right diameter of the air-fitting?

Cheers

Warren

Hello everyone.

Welcome to today's thrilling installment of 'The Corvette Takes Shape'.

First up the ladder is attached to the funnel as is a couple of vents..

flower%2032.jpg

Then I painted the base and cover for the hedgehog ASW system..

flower%2033.jpg

flower%2034.jpg

Then I finally touched some parts I painted about 4 months ago. I painted the tops of all the lockers..

flower%2035.jpg

Next to a kit part not covered in any of the sets I have (I think..) I believe this is an exhaust vent from the roof of the map room which must come from the bowels of the ship. The two vertical pipes where moulded closed. A simple job to drill them out if you remember to first drill a pilot hole and then slowly increase the size of the drills you use to stop ripping the plastic.

flower%2037.jpg

Much of the rest of the day was taken up with painting the funnel etc..

flower%2038.jpg

flower%20310.jpg

Then I put the hedgehog mortars in their place. No I just have to line them all up and try not to break any off. The metal used is very soft..

flower%2039.jpg

And that's all for today. Hopefully I will get some more time in the room tomorrow to continue with the lockers that attach to the top of the map and boiler rooms. All very badly moulded. Seems 'M' Sprue is the bogey with this particular model and the lockers are requiring lots of putty to get into decent shape. I wish GLS supplied brass ones.

Oh well..

Cheers
Warren

• Like 4

flower%2032.jpg

Then I painted the base and cover for the hedgehog ASW system..

flower%2033.jpg

flower%2034.jpg

Then I finally touched some parts I painted about 4 months ago. I painted the tops of all the lockers..

flower%2035.jpg

Next to a kit part not covered in any of the sets I have (I think..) I believe this is an exhaust vent from the roof of the map room which must come from the bowels of the ship. The two vertical pipes where moulded closed. A simple job to drill them out if you remember to first drill a pilot hole and then slowly increase the size of the drills you use to stop ripping the plastic.

flower%2037.jpg

Much of the rest of the day was taken up with painting the funnel etc..

flower%2038.jpg

flower%20310.jpg

Then I put the hedgehog mortars in their place. No I just have to line them all up and try not to break any off. The metal used is very soft..

flower%2039.jpg

And that's all for today. Hopefully I will get some more time in the room tomorrow to continue with the lockers that attach to the top of the map and boiler rooms. All very badly moulded. Seems 'M' Sprue is the bogey with this particular model and the lockers are requiring lots of putty to get into decent shape. I wish GLS supplied brass ones.

Oh well..

Cheers

Warren

Yes - when we release the Short Forecastle sets we will probably do most/all the locker types as a optional extra - but they won't be cheap, as items like that use up a LOT of sheet space [the reason we didn't do them in the first place!]. Still - got to try and please all you gluttons out there!

DJP/GLS

www.djparkins.com