Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Well it is time for another update, but you will be wondering why this stage is taking so long. I don't know either it just seems to be taking a ton of planning for this relatively simple item, the steam powered anchor winch.

First up I found that I had attached the steam cylinders in the wrong place.. my excuse is that the drawings don't show where it goes, and there are no locating guides anywhere.. oh well. After I removed it I started mocking things up and placed all the various gears etc in position on some shafts.

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

After I did that I took it apart and started gluing bits together. First I glued the items on the rear shaft, then the ones on the shaft sitting in the middle.

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

All up, with some more cleaning up of parts that took two hours! I had to be careful not to glue parts too shafts just yet, except the two parts sitting outboard of the frame on the middle shaft. The bearing caps where the shafts are attached to the frame will be in place after I put the front shaft on, which is the shaft driven by the steam cylinders at the rear of the assembly. Not sure why it was built that way but there you go.

Cheers for now

Warren

• Like 4

Always like to see your work Warren, especially on a dog like this. Without the GLS set, it's almost a Lindbergh Blue Devil. With the GLS, you'll have something fit for a museum. I should know, I bought one 35-40 years ago. I started on it, but decided it was going to look like a big toy, so there it sits. By the way, not Revell, Matchbox. I can't bring myself to pay for the GLS and I don't have the space, so I'll stick to 1/350. But keep up the great work.

Much appreciated Mr Lacy. I used to dream about the Corvette when Matchbox released it but I was not exactly flush with funds as a teenager.

Cheers Mate

Warren

Well, after stalling all this time because I thought I didn't have the right glue I bought a tin of the glue yesterday then discovered a tube in my desk cupboard that has been there for years!

So after fiddling around with the anchor winch for a little longer I plucked up the courage and added the final part I needed to add to the deck, a little support that goes under the deck and holds one of the vents, then applied the adhesive to the brass deck and the plastic deck and after waiting 20 minutes for the adhesive to dry I put them together and put lots of clamps on to hold the deck while it dries..

Flower%2B2%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B2.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B3.jpg

Flower%2B2%2B4.jpg

That's it for now as I want to wait the 24 hours necessary for the adhesive to fully sure. The smell actually bought back lots of memories for some reason.

That's it for now

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Nice going Warren. Not being one to go poking in other builds as you know but wouldn't "Kwik Grip" work better out of the tin :yahoo::bleh::D :D (runs away cackling dementedly)

On a serious note though :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Hello again.

I have removed all the clamps, and the tin of whatever, and added a bit more thin CA and clamped it again and now it is ready.

Flower%2B3%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B3%2B2.jpg
Flower%2B3%2B3.jpg

That is the blast shield already soldered to the deck. Not a good idea to solder on a deck sitting on plastic. It tends to soften I think...

Then I have done more work on the anchor winch..

Flower%2B3%2B12.jpg

Flower%2B3%2B13.jpg

Flower%2B3%2B14.jpg

That reminds me I have to put the bearing caps on the other shafts.

Cheers for now

Warren

• Like 6

Well you might think working with wood is difficult, but I can tell you it is a piece of cake after watching what you are doing here!!. I have attempted building this kit, but gave up halfway through in frustration,it is now on a permanant shelf of doom in the attic. keep up the good work.

Oh I think wood would be a little harder to manipulate than this stuff. Maybe watching this one will encourage you to go back to your kit.

BTW, I have Premium Edition one in the stash as well. :) Got it for a price too good to refuse. But that is for later.

Cheers and thanks Mr Stuck

Warren

Greetings from wet, and wild Adelaide. Snow has fallen on numerous hills (you can't really call them mountains) and the wind has been howling all night. But we are fine, snug and warm. :)

But enough of the weather reports, back to the much more important progress reports. Progress has been slow but I got back into it yesterday and got some stuff done before dinner.

First up I will try and show how the riveting works on the rear deck parts. which are different for the Snowberry and Bluebell.

Here we have the unmolested rear decking..

Flower%2B4%2B1.jpg

Then a closer view of the part I will be riveting.

Flower%2B4%2B2.jpg

The squiggly patterned bits are supposed to be the non-slip stuff on the deck. Now, if you turn the sheet over you can see where the rivets are supposed to go etched into the brass as little divots.

Flower%2B5%2B1.jpg

Then if you get your super-secret rivet creator you end up with what looks a bit like rivets on the deck.

Flower%2B4%2B3.jpg

And a closer view..

Flower%2B4%2B4.jpg

So that is the story of how I do deck rivets. Exciting stuff that.. not.. gets a bit boring doing hundreds of rivets and you have to be careful to do the rivets before you start folding stuff. But it will look great under a coat of paint.. I hope.. :shutup:

Now it is back to the anchor windlass winch.

Flower%2B4%2B7.jpg

Flower%2B4%2B6.jpg

I have to apply some filler to that handle on the back of the winch and the two steam pipes and valves that go into the deck..

Flower%2B4%2B5.jpg

Then we have some more pieces I have been folding.

Flower%2B4%2B8.jpg

And finally making sure the foredeck is glued down properly

Flower%2B4%2B9.jpg

The stand that comes with the kit is handy for working on the hull as you can rotate the hull to various angles and it will stay there.

I have found a source for the correct paint for the decking and have placed an order for the WEM Colour Coats for the job. I don't usually use enamels but the WEM enamels are so good I make an exception in their case. The also cover well when applied by brush.I am very happy they are being made again.

Has anyone got any pictures of the wooden parts of the Snowberry's decks to show if they were left natural wood or painted the deck colour?

And that's it for now. Will be trying to get all the riveting for the rear deck pieces done today.

Update tonight.. hopefully..

Cheers

Warren

• Like 6

Hello again to all those out in model ship land. Time for a miniscule update..

After the deck is painted the correct grey, the next job is to apply the right colour to represent the wooden parts of the deck. Now it can be painted OR I can apply real wood. I cut out one plank and put it in position. I am not sure if it shows it very well but here it is.

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

I can represent the screw/nail holes with pin holes in the wood but what do you think will look better, painting the deck or using wood?

Cheers
Warren

• Like 2

Hello again to all those out in model ship land. Time for a miniscule update..

After the deck is painted the correct grey, the next job is to apply the right colour to represent the wooden parts of the deck. Now it can be painted OR I can apply real wood. I cut out one plank and put it in position. I am not sure if it shows it very well but here it is.

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

I can represent the screw/nail holes with pin holes in the wood but what do you think will look better, painting the deck or using wood?

Cheers

Warren

Warren,

Don't do it! It'll look ridiculous - the grain on the wood is way, way over scale.

See this link about 2/3rds down the page -

http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/topic/730/t/HMS-Campanula-1-72-model.html

I think Graham Townsend did the planked ares in oils. Anyway IMHO there is no point in putting all that detail in and then plankig over it! I'm not quite sure why you would need to know the planked areas of the decking since we define them for you with the [wait for it!] planked areas of the etchings!

A note about the cemtex walkways - and this is often the bit also misunderstood in our WW2 kits of Airfield Huts in our Flightpath range. The etchings can only represent the uneven surface below the average surface of the part. The correspondingly raised areas can be represented by paint with a fairly coarse talcalm powder mixed in or by the excellent Tamiya 'Texture' paints.

Keep up the excellent work!

David Parkins,

Great Little Ships

www.djparkins.com

I agree totally David. I was going to have to do some serious sanding of the wood to get rid of the textures. although that was a macro shot. The last thing I have to make up my mind about is whether to make it look like wood or just paint the whole deck the same colour which is what I am seeing in many photos of the area. But that is a way off yet!

Cheers and thanks for that David.

Warren

Coming along nicely, I am enjoying following this one. I agree with your wooden deck idea. It gives quite a good colour but that grain is far too overscale and wouldnt like right.

Keep up the good work

Bob

Edit:

I did have a look regarding the wooden decks at HMCS Sackville here in Halifax, but I think she is a different type of Corvette, the fore deck looks to be steel with no wood. She does have a natural wood bridge area though. There is also a link below which gives you some more details which hopefully will be useful. There are some good internal shots if you fancy going that far! :banghead:

http://webberswarships.ca/styled-20/index.html

Edited by moaning dolphin

Coming along nicely, I am enjoying following this one. I agree with your wooden deck idea. It gives quite a good colour but that grain is far too overscale and wouldnt like right.

Keep up the good work

Bob

Edit:

I did have a look regarding the wooden decks at HMCS Sackville here in Halifax, but I think she is a different type of Corvette, the fore deck looks to be steel with no wood. She does have a natural wood bridge area though. There is also a link below which gives you some more details which hopefully will be useful. There are some good internal shots if you fancy going that far! :banghead:

http://webberswarships.ca/styled-20/index.html

Hi Bob and thanks for dropping in.

They are awesome photos. Just wish you could enlarge them a bit. That is almost exactly the same as the Corvette I am building. Is the deck steel or just painted over wood?

That open deck area photo is great as it gives the colour of the wood, well the colour of the wood in this restored ship.. but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Feel like going and taking lots of large photos for me? I would love to join you but I couldn't afford the airfare at this time, or the accommodation, or car hire etc etc.. :weep:

Cheers mate

Warren

They are awesome photos. Just wish you could enlarge them a bit. That is almost exactly the same as the Corvette I am building. Is the deck steel or just painted over wood?

That open deck area photo is great as it gives the colour of the wood, well the colour of the wood in this restored ship.. but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Feel like going and taking lots of large photos for me? I would love to join you but I couldn't afford the airfare at this time, or the accommodation, or car hire etc etc.. :weep:

Cheers mate

Warren

Warren -

Sackville is very different from either Snowberry or Bluebell in so many respects in terms of fine detail. There are a good set of shots of Snowberry from the air after her third refit [as per the sets you have] in John Lambert's Warship Perspective book on the Flower Class and these clearly show the planked areas, which are as planked in our set - the book is out of print I think now but you may be able to get a copy somewhere!

As for colour - for an in-service ship you won't go far wrong to follow the deck colours that Graham Townsend used in the link I included in my earlier posting. His build really does set the standard IMHO.

Regards,

DJP/GLS

I have a funny feeling that AMS is hitting me way too hard at the moment. I am looking all over for pictures of Flower class corvettes just so I can have a look at some small pieces of the deck... why? It is in 1/72 scale and any hint of woodgrain etc in the wooden planks would be invisible at most viewing distances. You can see the gaps between the planks etc but no wood grain! :doh:

I am really enjoying the build so far with all the PE etc, but the wooden parts of the deck where slowing me big time. Now I have come to this realisation I will be painting the whole lot black to pick out the detail, the wood in a wood colour, putting a light coat of clear over it and then moving on. Lets see how it looks...

Cheers and thanks to everyone for all their time and effort in helping.

Warren :drink:

• Like 1

Cheers mate

Warren

Hi Warren

I do have some phots of her from an earlier visit which I shall see if I can dig out. I do keep meaning to go down and get a good walkaround as I would like to do a kit of her myself, maybe not in 1:72 though! I have been planning to go down for about 3 years now and although she is just down the road she may as well be in Sydney Harbour! I have some vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and might just do it then. Unfortunately now we are deep in my kids soccer season so it is death by footie (not too bad a thing at the moment!). From what I can tell it looks like the front pointy end (I am a WAFU so terminology fails me sometimes!) is steel. It is worth noting what David has said earlier in what ship you are actually building as there are stark differences between ships of the same design from the same yards. I shall try and get some good pics of general ship fittings but if there is anything else you want looking at let me know and i'll see what I can do.

Cheers now

Bob