Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with GLS Sets

Greetings!

After finishing my rest build of the Type 23 I have decided to start a rather large project that will take lots of time to complete, Revell's 1/72 Flower Class Corvette with a full compliment of David J Parkins Sets that replace just about all the plastic except for the hull.

I am sure everyone has seen what the hulllooks like, but I will post a picture of it when I get around to needing it for the build.

So without any further ado here are the basics of the build starting with some of the DJP sets.

various%2B4.jpg

Depth charge set..

various%2B3.jpg

Self explanatory.

various%2B5.jpg

The sets contain Photo Etch brass sheets of various thicknesses, Resin parts and Diecast parts.

various%2B2.jpg

So far I have started removing all the parts from fret A of the Deck Set (which has no picture). Here are some pictures of the quality of the parts.

Flower%2B1.jpg

Flower%2B2.jpg

Flower%2B3.jpg

Flower%2B5.jpg

All those lines of dots are where you are supposed to form rivet heads by pushing on each spot with a centre punch or similar. That sounds like it is going to be a learning experience. I will try and keep tabs on the number of rivets I have to form..

Flower%2B6.jpg

Nice clean plank detail.. although it may all be hidden if I use the self-adhesive wood planking I found from Artwox whixh is exactly the right width to cover these pieces. We shall see..

Flower%2B7.jpg

Flower%2B4.jpg

And that is it for now. I am busily removing PE parts from the middle of the deck pieces so I can get started with the gluing/soldering of parts.

Until next time

Cheers

Warren

• Like 6

A nice simple one to keep you going lol! I have always fancied one of these but the sheer size has put me off. I have seen the etch sets for this and you are right, there won't be too much original plastic left! Have you decided what ship are you doing yet?

Looking forward to seeing this one develop

Bob

All those lines of dots are where you are supposed to form rivet heads by pushing on each spot with a centre punch or similar. That sounds like it is going to be a learning experience. I will try and keep tabs on the number of rivets I have to form.

Ah Ha I always knew you were a closet Rivet counter :banghead:

Keith

• Like 1

I am glad I didn't say that Keith. Wareen did have me worried with his post about a "DP set" until I noticed it really read "DJP set".......................... :analintruder::yahoo::thumbsup: (makes mental note to clean glasses)

• Like 1

A nice simple one to keep you going lol! I have always fancied one of these but the sheer size has put me off. I have seen the etch sets for this and you are right, there won't be too much original plastic left! Have you decided what ship are you doing yet?

Looking forward to seeing this one develop

Bob

Hi Bob.

Yep, nice and simple.. so simple I had to have a break after that darstadely Akagi that never seemed to end.

Cheers and welcome aboard.

Warren

Hi Warren,

Now your talking, having teased me for a quite a while :yahoo:

:popcorn:

Kev

Hi Kev.

Yes, sorry for the long delay but the small manner of a move from Brisbane to Adelaide threw a spanner in the works. What's that old saying about the best laid plans of mice and men? No plan survives first contact with the enemy etc etc.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. You better have a mighty big container of popcorn! :)

Cheers

Warren

Ah Ha I always knew you were a closet Rivet counter :banghead:

Keith

A haha.. oh it is too laugh... it is actually very clever Keith..

I really did leave myself wide open on that one!

Cheers

Warren

I am glad I didn't say that Keith. Wareen did have me worried with his post about a "DP set" until I noticed it really read "DJP set".......................... :analintruder::yahoo::thumbsup: (makes mental note to clean glasses)

Have you cleaned those glasses yet... Might be an idea to clean your mind out as well.. :winkgrin:

Glad to have you along for the ride Julian.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Hi Kev.

Yes, sorry for the long delay but the small manner of a move from Brisbane to Adelaide threw a spanner in the works. What's that old saying about the best laid plans of mice and men? No plan survives first contact with the enemy etc etc.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. You better have a mighty big container of popcorn! :)

Cheers

Warren

A haha.. oh it is too laugh... it is actually very clever Keith..

I really did leave myself wide open on that one!

Cheers

Warren

Have you cleaned those glasses yet... Might be an idea to clean your mind out as well.. :winkgrin:

Glad to have you along for the ride Julian.

Cheers

Warren

Thanks mate, you have been threatening with this build for long enough Warren :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Should be an ace build though knowing your style so let rip with this terror of the Atlantic :)

Did clean my Viewmaster by the way. Whole new World out there with clean goggles mate :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Like 1

I meant to say mate, for your rivets how about an automatic centre punch? I've been using one to make the new tie-downs on my USS Enterprise flight deck and hangar deck. I just swapped the spring out for a less powerful one so that it was making less impact! :banghead:

Soooo, we're looking at about a month until RFI then? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn:

This one may take a little longer.. :)

I meant to say mate, for your rivets how about an automatic centre punch? I've been using one to make the new tie-downs on my USS Enterprise flight deck and hangar deck. I just swapped the spring out for a less powerful one so that it was making less impact! :banghead:

I was thinking the same thing mate. I haven't used one of them for a very long time but it would give you consistency as well. The brass is pretty thick so I don't think I will need to change the spring. Just have to find one.

Cheers

Warren

Thanks mate, you have been threatening with this build for long enough Warren :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Should be an ace build though knowing your style so let rip with this terror of the Atlantic :)

Did clean my Viewmaster by the way. Whole new World out there with clean goggles mate :D :D :D :D :D :D

Only problem there is you will now find lots more problems with your models the grungy googles hid. :)

• Like 1

On eBay, 5" brass automatic centre punch, from Hong Kong, less than 3quid delivered UK.

How is delivery from HK to Adelaide mate?

Less than that I hope! I will have to have a look.

Cheers mate and thanks

Warren

Mind if I pull up a chair Warren ? :popcorn:

BillyD

Of course Sir! Strap yourself in for the ride.

Cheers

Warren

:popcorn:

Excellent stuff! I'm looking forward to this developing.

Al

Welcome fellow modellers.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Work continues on removing parts from within the large deck pieces.

The tabs connecting the parts with the frets are huge and nirmally take a power tool to remove, or some of the smaller parts only require a knofe.''Has anyone else got any ideas on how to cut these tabs?

Cheers

Warren

Would a small hobby saw be suitable for the task? I recall seeing one somewhere that was essentially a saw blade mounted on a scalpel type handle.

Ross.

Would a small hobby saw be suitable for the task? I recall seeing one somewhere that was essentially a saw blade mounted on a scalpel type handle.

Ross.

Hi Ross.

I tried that but it seemed a little too rough with my razor saw.. although I di remember I may have some blades made from photo etch stainless steel somewhere. I may give them a try.

Thanks mate!

Warren

Greetings everyone out there in the MSW-verse..

I took pictures of all the PE sets and the hull and have uploaded them ready for your education and edification.

First up we have the box cover art.

Flower%2B1%2B1.jpg

Note that the box is about 3 feet long in the old language, 90cm in the new improved language.. :)

Then we have the hull halves that I glued together last century.

Flower%2B1%2B2.jpg

I did clean up the joint but I was a little rough back then and it will take a bit of work to get right.

Next up are a few photos showing how the hull is moulded.

Flower%2B1%2B3.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B4.jpg

I have a PE set to replace the scuttles with brass bits which I will show when I get around to them.

And here is how the two hull ends join in the middle

Flower%2B1%2B5.jpg

Shouldn't need too much clean up.

Now before we get to the detail sets I have a few pictures showing where I up to with the hull..

Flower%2B1%2B44.jpg

I have finished the keel on the front part of the hull and have started on the stern. The original join had cracked due to transporting it around the country etc so I have reglued it and applied a clamp or two to hold it in place.

Then I applied that magic Mr Dissolved Putty to the joint and all the rough parts should disappear with a little application of love with various abrasive mediums.

Flower%2B1%2B43.jpg

OK Now I have bought you up to date with the hull I will continue with the detail sets I have got for the Snowberry. First up is the Scuttle set I mentioned before..

Flower%2B1%2B23.jpg

That is a piece of clear acetate for the portholes, sorry, scuttles..

Then the scuttle detail..

Flower%2B1%2B36.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B37.jpg

Each scuttle has three pieces. And you get a load of 1/72 gunsights and a template for re-drilling the holes.

Flower%2B1%2B38.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B40.jpg

And then the instructions..

Flower%2B1%2B41.jpg

So I have to remove the existing scuttle detail that you saw in an earlier picture and replace them all with new stuff... I think I might be using some other medium for the glass that I can put in AFTER I paint the hulls.

Next we have the parts from the deck set in the bottom of the HMS Belfast box I am using to store the PE.

Flower%2B1%2B35.jpg

To give you some idea of the size of the deck set I put the foredeck piece on my cutting mat which is over 40 cms long.

Flower%2B1%2B34.jpg

The holes in the centre are where I have removed other parts that were etched in the middle of the deck.

Next is the funnel and mast set. The funnel comes pre-rolled and it is all nicely packed in a cardboard box.

Flower%2B1%2B33.jpg

Next is...

Flower%2B1%2B31.jpg

The diecast bits..

Flower%2B1%2B32.jpg

And the brass bits.

Flower%2B1%2B30.jpgThen there is the splinter padding set..

Flower%2B1%2B26.jpg

The 2 Pdr and Lewis Gun Set. First the brass..

Flower%2B1%2B28.jpg

Then the diecast

Flower%2B1%2B29.jpg

Then the..

Flower%2B1%2B27.jpg

and

Flower%2B1%2B25.jpg

and

Flower%2B1%2B24.jpg

and

Flower%2B1%2B21.jpg

The brass

Flower%2B1%2B20.jpg

And there is a bag of depth charges in diecast metal that come with this set.

Then there is the first Pipe Rail Set

Flower%2B1%2B19.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B18.jpg

And then..

Flower%2B1%2B17.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B16.jpg

Then the..

Flower%2B1%2B14.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B15.jpg

Then there is the..

Flower%2B1%2B12.jpg

Brass..

Flower%2B1%2B11.jpg

and diecast..

Flower%2B1%2B13.jpg

Then there is the..

Flower%2B1%2B9.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B8.jpg

and finally..

Flower%2B1%2B7.jpg

Flower%2B1%2B6.jpg

And that is it for the moment.

Next up for me is finishing the keel on the stern half then installing the new brass scuttle detail.

Cheers for now

Warren

• Like 4

Work continues on removing parts from within the large deck pieces.

The tabs connecting the parts with the frets are huge and nirmally take a power tool to remove, or some of the smaller parts only require a knofe.''Has anyone else got any ideas on how to cut these tabs?

Cheers

Warren

How about one of these:

DSCN2948.jpg

DSCN2949.jpg

Special made for PE :hmmm:

• Like 3