A 272 Sqn Beaufighter

Nice project Mind if I follow along?

If your Stirling cowlings don't work out I think John Adams of Aeroclub did corrected replacement cowlings for this kit.

Don't know if there still available but someone might have them tucked away if not

Roger

Over on hyperscale.com, today,

is a query about Beaufighter exhaust

collector rings with a fabulous 'TorBeau'

picture and links to other Beau articles

that may help your build.

• Like 1

What a smashing plan, and fantastic start. I spent a number of years in the atc and loved it. My sqn was 1017 and I was a corporal there... We even had a ferret tank. Before I left I was trying to get the guys to build a diorama of a chinook mid landing to enter into the annual camp competition. ... but I left so didn't happen.

Also what a brilliant squadron history to have! The kids are lucky! Really hope the build gets their passion going for aircraft again... keep us posted with how the sqn moves forward!

As for aircraft your building, brilliant start on such a basic kit.... love the beaufighter! But poorly represented in 1/72 (by that I mean a good range at a good price and easily available. .. roll on July! ). I look forward to your updates!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Highplanes do a set of power eggs for the Beaufighter and I think the set might include wheels too?

Cheers

Tony

I've the HPM Beaufighter power eggs as mentioned by Tony, they're very nicely molded & would have been an excellent solution to the engines on the frog, kit, though the solution you've arrived at looks very effective all the same. They were used on this Halifax build to great effect. The HPM set does not include wheels but if you're looking for some you might try these. Even with post they'd be pretty inexpensive. I've a set to go with my HPM update set, can't find a old Airfix Beau nowadys so might use the engines on a Matchbox one, but might just flick that on & buy a new tool Airfix one, I've plans for several Beaus. Watching this with interest.

Steve

My Hasegawa Beaufighter should be arriving in the next couple of days. No idea whether the nacelles are better on that, but I could try casting some resin ones from them if that's any use at this stage? I guess you're sorted now, but it was just a thought.

• Like 2

I'll give it a try. It must be possible....right?

Any advice from the experts would be appreciated- shoulders of giants and all that. Two part mould perhaps? I'm assuming here the Hasegawa engine covers are cylindrical.

• Like 1

Without wanting to sidetrack the thread too much : I got the Beaufighter today. The cowls are in 3 pieces; a collector ring and two curved pieces that form the cowling sides. So question is what is the best way to cast them? I can assemble them with pva temporarily if necessary. Also what is the best release agent to use that can be removed? I'm sure I'll figure it out but if anyone's done it before, no point in reinventing the wheel. Ta.

ETA Here are some images - there are two types of collector ring.

I think I will have to cast them in two pieces - the cooling gill ring and an assembly of the other three parts:

SU23cqHn.jpg

WQuTWvPL.jpg

leB4lCgc.jpg

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 1