+++ FINISHED! +++ Fujimi Phantom F-4K/FG.1 (Royal Navy) 1/72

Philp, thanks for your appreciation, I'm glad you liked the fake fan intakes. I'm not completely happy, as said. I don't think I'll do the same in the Shark Mouth Phantom.

Mcdonell, thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate them, considering the quality of your own RN Phantom.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

This is an update with last weekend's work.

As said above, I had to glue pieces of 0.5 mm plastic sheet to fill gaps between the intake parts and the lower wing part. In this picture this is clearly shown, right after glueing the intake parts:

y4mjiJFKN1Rq0udFq31st97eta6484Tf8IZmhN1d

IMAG2412

The excess plastic was removed with an x-acto blade and then filed, sanded and polished:

y4mp3ojc8BFfgPQBYY5fw4JY1u5IFR_N2LAdkXJi

IMAG2413

Next, I applied putty to the seams between the intakes and the fuselage and wings. There will be vertical panel lines there but this is just to smooth things out:

y4m1IwH1FMUjF-pj-A1DRzFOLggzfrsUFPodkZDgy4mMK2oEA6z08h-oOv25icvVmflGi7qaROlE6NPo

IMAG2415       IMAG2416

Putty was also applied in the underside seams:

y4mc4Rcjmi3WPUAdE5Mvv4tWS7oRfroPdyUojTya

IMAG2417

Finally, I applied putty in the main wheel wells:

y4mzUVETiuzgxhfn0MMsSwTh-7_g9WFl38MmPZGv

IMAG2418

After drying, the excess putty was sanded and polished:

y4mEFUr9hiA7Ke6ik5QmvGGw2nsMtPT6J6y_ubOo

IMAG2421

y4mEhVAoWhzQVdfgmssLglkleJfLYAwifH8UhhSD

IMAG2422

Detail of the intake seams:

y4m4zojuPPUousnSmWSYENoJGiaaLPeK_em-wPDUy4mbLG1EmJ_Y_FlGuhvePHuCNcY6MeYS5gpMrpc5

IMAG2423        IMAG2424

y4m7FY2rPXjTR4PNXZFObG-QSHVWqdnFCZTGGszb

IMAG2425

Detail of the wheel wells (these were a bit difficult to sand):

y4mEsiffr2QfOB7YdEeA6GHnfQEn6apQYYYLSfur

IMAG2427

All the small parts needed for the landing gears and airframe were prepared for priming and painting:

y4mGt0y9kHrCyERxi3uY_EIOmrNr8g5ge9jfXT5j

IMAG2426

Next, I glued the HUD:

y4mLgI5Z0ou-5I32BebC067fs_DwRJHMa8fy6aG8

IMAG2428

and then, the fixed canopy parts:

y4mOfIk5xMT7G89y11CGW6CXzZ5UKLJ5wVLdB5az

IMAG2429

The cockpit, main and aux intakes were masked:

y4mGg5EatQ6-BI24Gx_pUjU6aNwXZ8xYTiBWRug9

IMAG2430

y4mwYqEaPaRuFUeNHfLOUL08_VVHmOX-zISNkFZl

IMAG2431

The aircraft was now ready for priming. I used Alclad grey primer and microfiller, since I'll use Alclad metallic paints for the metallic parts. After a first coat of primer and some sanding of superficial defects, here is the model as it stands now:

y4mN67Zfy-Lz90EkACIKqcTbbG9mGoRI-ihH5HMb

IMAG2434

y4m0PNTSWjc8ZSW-2j6PIxxkUxwKTB7YiCjb-kX6

IMAG2435

I'll apply a second and, hopefully, last coat of primer tonight and then proceed to pre-shading, painting of metallic parts and airframe painting.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Dermot, thanks for the kind words. Regarding the intake idea, all credit should go to delta7, who inspired me to use his technique.

Edited by jrlx

We have a guy here who used to create his ducts using heat shrink tubing. He would make a balsa shape for the duct then wrap the tubing around and heat it with a hair dryer (I think). When done he would remove the balsa (easier on a straight through duct) and have a seamless intake to fin in the model. Saw it done on his 72nd F-14 and looked great. I have never looked around for the tubing so not sure how easy it is to find but think it is an electronics item.

• Like 1

Hi philp, that's a good idea. I know what heat shrink tubing is because I studied electronics but I haven't seen it since. I was thinking about using some thin plastic sheet or tubing to shape the intake ducts but I believe getting the proper shape is always the difficult part.

There are useful links for that approach in ARC Forum for 1/48 and for 1/72.

Jaime

Hello,

This week I've been going through the painting stages of the RN Phantom.

After taking care of seams and sanding and polishing superficial defects on the first coat of primer, I applied the second and last coat of Alclad Grey Primer:

y4mLz79w3-CA_WMjG6QOsWdMBx6KavoNpdvFUTUk

IMAG2436

y4mSnyxednkXkhwisAP9MdSFNUiF9Uor5Owz8i1l

IMAG2437

In the previous picture you can see that I already applied the first Alclad metallic colour to the underside of the tail area. The next picture shows this area in detail. I used Alclad Duraluminium here:

y4mygXQ_0EiRKM3Y0WeMzsS6UhFMagRAvK_o-GyW

IMAG2438

I used the same colour to paint the landing gear parts.

y4m-FHgEr0pY8xx6rDJ21KGi2uFZR5iWhwStCtQy

IMAG2439

This colour will be kept for the oleos, the remaining areas of the landing gears will be off-white.

Alclad Duraluminium was also applied to the metallic areas of the tail stabilisers:

y4myeuF7GTcDeIlsmS1vUOrrb7zjhhNysumjJcsg

IMAG2440

Alclad paints dry almost instantly and I read that the regular shine colours can be masked within 15-20 minutes. However, I gave it several hours to dry completely and then masked the areas that should keep the Duraluminium colour:

y4metglrHJp2lYsBj9clBzBkIOJ9xQdELQwSguWq

IMAG2441

y4mE5kZuzy-Q_or2002W1IntUfLSVlpXcxDb2r1y

IMAG2442

y4mbwLTzjMc-DquZHTV8KQvJoVqiZXq7U5R2ri-D

IMAG2443

Then, I painted the exposed tail area with Alclad Steel and, after about 30 minutes drying, lightly sprayed inside the panels with Alclad Pale Burnt Iron. Here's the result:

y4mDUT1JgB1rthFVt7tc7pA6DkF4p99mPFmS8563

IMAG2445

I finished the tail with a light spray of Alclad Magnesium. The following pictures show the tonal variance achieved according to the angle of the lighting:

y4m_xGrlNbAO83vVQ7XxQ2_z_3GfnuMmDJ_J2V7z

IMAG2446

y4mSNxLG2d-lNfzVGPhf2RYsV6CehNwfzzGs3_58

IMAG2447

Painting of the metallic areas was concluded by applying Alclad Steel to the tail stabilisers and Alclad Jet Exhaust to the exhausts:

y4mYSdSX99JEHIvi3G9C3UoMGQ-5mUGDgvixYqF3

IMAG2448

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

Hello again,

Having finished painting the metallic areas, I proceeded to painting the camouflage. In order to avoid applying masking tape to the underside off-white, which is a gloss paint, I decided to paint first the top colour (Extra Dark Sea Grey), which is semi-gloss, cures faster and is more resistant to masking. This would allow me to proceed faster.

The first step was masking the already painted metallic areas:

y4mDmml44mCG3O2-oTqei3iMk_u8s2eIfckB3a8b

IMAG2450

y4m6YHYVkBtbAYTWemYy8PqzaWyLZLHKltIPghmn

IMAG2451

y4mdXIOompOr6zsXAd4ZHijd0oolIMT87N0j2U5N

IMAG2452

y4mNFLFYazyRi7uM_f5M32QNJzJ3u1IysLSg1ueV

IMAG2453

Then, I pre-shaded all the panel lines using Gunze's matte black. I decided to use Gunze's instead of Tamiya's matte black because I expected the Gunze paint to spray better. However, it was very difficult to apply, just like Tamyia, as it was constantly clogging the airbrush. I'm not sure if this was due to an unbalanced mix of thinner and paint or if it was due to the colour being matte (almost all Gunze paints are gloss or semi-gloss and spray beautifully). I'll have to check this later more carefully. Anyway, here's the result:

y4mZE8EYFHwVwUXOoXGqN1NJnZUxu1bSRHAj-ffo

IMAG2454

y4mEnxOEQ4i4Gvfzyw-i2_Vwp31CqOlbFMoy8Aja

IMAG2455

After drying, I masked the nose, which was already painted black:

y4mknd2ZZhEX3hVgXoI0XN8iJW970NiJ3_21R2_O

IMAG2456

and also masked some areas of the underside, to avoid the Extra Dark Sea Grey to get to areas that will be painted off-white:

y4m22V7iororSYaO8nkMP-eGUDMrujJX6XpfGzXt

IMAG2457

Since I opted not to cut the intake ramp parts (I was afraid of damaging them), painting and masking of the fuselage behind and around the ramps is a bit tricky:

y4mUkzE4TI9PjvB-lJfIjbVvcIqfGCzQ6xER5y4K

IMAG2458

With the masking complete, I painted the top camouflage colour:

y4mZ7v0HUYvhac5O35FOzy54FsFQEtIK6hpM1tcb

IMAG2459

y4mDYxyfuCVfluUPoLRJvly27SIAVavJDu5AHQ7F

IMAG2460

This colour was also applied to the top surfaces of the tail stabilisers:

y4mF3mN8mHUk4aqCPrbTsU0YX0a2U0NWKY1WPaNc

IMAG2461

and to the moving parts of the canopy:

y4m1Xe775ttPtKWQe1S7ka6obmOmH7Ben47sUfRW

IMAG2463

Then I mixed a drop of off-white with the remaining EDSG in the airbrush and diluted the mix to an 80% thinner / 20% paint ratio. This mix was applied at 10 psi and low spray volume to the inside areas of the fuselage panels. Varying the amount of paint applied to different panels, produced different grey tones. This is my post-shading technique.

Here's the overall result:

y4mRJt4vq1bplrz_gnaAyDULKuwRNoeySt2gdKEM

IMAG2464

y4moZeWs37QdBp7hfrT_X1gHQgzE7CMn6gIRBTpf

IMAG2465

y4mdFHvJhDFXjIQkR282Kf5AkkQcGbQNfrvtg8Hk

IMAG2466

and a detail of the starboard wing and fuselage side:

y4mncirHOhhdWNOKmjf1NGS6hdI5Uw9tp0i-gwTy

IMAG2467

The effect is not too pronounced. I'm always afraid of overdoing the weathering stages...

The next day I noticed that I had masked the underside incorrectly, because there should be a stripe of EDSG along the leading edges of the wings and outer edges of the main intakes. So, I re-masked the underside:

y4mrVUH-zZMaL66q4Dy3RyHuCutfnvnTrBY064Oe

IMAG2468

Here's a detail of the missing EDSG areas, resulting from the masking error:

y4mj6ijiyJSK_Z7f1TjfB6q9Fc3CUZklAKbXYIAF

IMAG2469

The missing colour was applied and here's the result:

y4ma67rAfuKtixxBw2NO2aeb_HWUMxzUJ3pTueb3

IMAG2470

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

Hello Jaime, your doing such a well detailed build and making an excellent job of it. Your Royal Navy Phantom is going to look superb when it's finished. Joe.

• Like 1

Thanks for your appreciation, Joe. :)

I'm now concentrating on this one, to try to finish it in time for the GB. The other ones will be finished in the next week or two.

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello again,

An update on the latest work, done last night.

Before moving to painting the white underside, I decided to repaint the nose. Though it was already painted with the final black colour, the finish wasn't acceptable. So, I removed the masking from the nose and masked the adjacent fuselage area before repainting.

First, I delimited the radome with thin strips of masking tape:

y4mBjQEf_HT5yYSssmnEH_BthWBVBQCnKvNbJwDR

IMAG2471

Then, I finished masking using a combination of tape and kitchen cling film:

y4mRXRD49WlXTa8I7TVWaODAtHXolcC2PbxXO-70

IMAG2472

After painting and removing the masking, this was the result:

y4mEw5Wmb-xLDxTw4T6vh4lHrj3jMONCZQjNpQeR

IMAG2477

I also removed the masking from the aircraft's underside:

y4mqVDtkx8Aw1HsRvNaFe5wXfhGNWfZG-qCu0RvO

IMAG2474

Detail of the complex area around the main intakes:

y4mKWfwXFUzQ1BKttIo2Qno5fPR_yLhctT-SvL9H

IMAG2475

Detail of the grey stripe on the leading edge of the wings:

y4m3ceR6TPUE0g1pSLUXU23VBzUkP7i6T0g1ubCQ

IMAG2476

Now, I'll have to mask the grey areas in order to paint the off-white underside.

While the nose painting was drying, I removed the under-wing tanks, pylons and missiles from the sprues. The tanks were assembled and I started cleaning the parts from moulding marks. I had to use CA glue to fill in several ejection marks on the missiles and pylons. These were left to dry and tonight I expect to spend some fun moments sanding and polishing these areas... :banghead:

Here are the the parts:

y4mXKrLr7TsCFjvBNUf5mpdLymyW2BdQArOjw6Rj

IMAG2473

That's all for now. This thread is now up to date with the on-going work.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

Just caught up with this thread- a superb build log, great subject, great photography and some spectacular techniques- I haven't seen that intake photo trick before, so props to Delta7 and yourself for spreading the word further.

looking forward to seeing this one completed.

cheers,

troffa

• Like 1

Looks great!

Thanks, Tim. I'm glad you like it :)

Just caught up with this thread- a superb build log, great subject, great photography and some spectacular techniques- I haven't seen that intake photo trick before, so props to Delta7 and yourself for spreading the word further.

looking forward to seeing this one completed.

cheers,

troffa

Hi Troffa, thanks a lot for your kind words and interest :) With some intense work, I might finish this Phantom in time for the GB. :frantic: Let's see how the week-end turns out. Anyway, it is now just a matter of days to finish it. My two other British Phantoms won't make it in time for the GB :( but will be finished in one or two weeks.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello,

Here's the latest update on the RN Phantom.

I still had to paint the underside off-white, but first I had to mask the adjacent Extra Dark Sea Grey areas. On the underside I masked using Tamiya tape:

y4mMR99tF6rkWcDtIfPbkkXdi3wv9CBmLyiBOOeu

IMAG2478

The top also needed protection from overspray. I applied tape nearer the underside areas:

y4mrtQQVixoYa1HMq7UsOoPzXqvSla5wvwcmDPJC

IMAG2479

and then kitchen cling film to finish the masking:

y4mVaf6d0oQ03o56FkHzPTBCEOwCuzRzKrSOelMa

IMAG2480

The landing gear parts also had their metallic areas masked:

y4mJqvIfE-JLgijj_PBVv0VUKAa-zXzAvvgKEQqe

IMAG2481

I could then paint the underside and all the small parts. After a bit of drying time, I removed the masking and here's the result:

y4mF7fEkT8x5TmV62QcAGKeWgVlVvIsHPZkAu1Z7

IMAG2483

The pre-shading works well with white.

Detail of the nose and main intakes:

y4mHM7OWxfrC8YGOaPXzjt6ogtxoQN1ra8SOq6h4

IMAG2484

Detail of the port wing, showing a good demarcation between the colours:

y4mUj2ea2-Wz54IwRdYVKkuhnkHA1AAuosuvXzP4

IMAG2485

Details of the metallic area of the tail:

y4mCRSj6MTBFbkNqjABvZFvLhRYY4C-9q5NaYEip

IMAG2486

y4mKjjo7qjpaKTvp4lQS8ok_c1kF-vNgW98AKUxo

IMAG2487

Underside of the tail stabilisers:

y4mBuCAmyOEaSZD6Q9Zj6RiMxFNSR0aU4qbITrEx

IMAG2488

Top side of the tail stabilisers:

y4mXgrlzzywTd3U7E4BRhbkKn7uXMkn69Z-kCSkq

IMAG2489

Landing gear parts (masking still on):

y4mcX2crIABzDS_bWt4paVIKJrrwJeemS5kBpQ0U

IMAG2490

Doors of the nose wheel well:

y4msXOchX2JIDywfasFX_nkUIsWZZl5fqCy5tIGj

IMAG2491

Doors of the main gear wells:

y4mvuHdJQ-c3WDkp44ZM2BXgghr2FHUCaNVljjur

IMAG2492

Now I need to let the white paint dry for a few more hours and then I'll apply a coat of Aqua Gloss to the aircraft, in preparation for decaling.

In the meantime I'll finish cleaning the missiles, drop tanks and pylons, and then I can prime and paint them.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 8

Hello,Jaime - I've polished my helmet visor and flying boots ready to take this beauty on her maiden flight!She's looking superb and is a result of being built with a clinical attention to detail.Thank you once again for your kind compliment on my Navy Jet but you're giving everyone a masterclass with this!Looking forward to seeing her roll-out!All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi, Paul

Thanks a lot for you extremely kind words :blush: With some luck, the Navy bird will have her maiden fly tomorrow, within the GB deadline.

Thanks again

Jaime

Hi again,

I finished cleaning the moulding marks on the missiles and pylons, and also cleaned the seams on the drop tanks that were already assembled. Then, I assembled the pylons:

y4ms3vw5UjnX-zs-PA9GuOMIZUKY_79jyEA5gFAv

IMAG2493

The next step was glueing all parts to toothpicks, to facilitate painting. Here are the drop tanks:

y4mcE5mLBcUbX7mI96UrJwTTk3gDJZH_-Py6VTZp

IMAG2495

The missiles:

y4mH32jjgrg53DIj-6ZcPfZSq6-bngO8RfANBqP5

IMAG2494

And the pylons, showing how I glued the toothpicks and let the glue dry:

y4mUkMwhpVPxpg5V92yAp9CfwolN4Vk7DpMvuvCO

IMAG2496

With all parts on toothpicks, I applied Alclad Grey Primer:

y4mD-xElA9kR8wj3ceQMEGq8sdwegTLq9oG5XlLWy4m0YXJUHAKFWvdsaSE8wTN10LoqYNwOh7CsdQX6

IMAG2497           IMAG2498

While the primer dried (1h is enough), I applied Aqua Gloss to the aircraft and all other parts already painted, in preparation for decaling:

y4mKlSK9kh5gY3JGhzKNnqjZ3agAbthLHItIzTop

IMAG2499

y4mlAyhjaAW0XEaeXuZekt-45gXnD8MAKFQKhwIe

IMAG2500

When the primer was dry, I painted the drop tanks, missiles and pylons with off-white. I had to apply a second coat, a few hours later, to achieve good opacity:

y4mLIrZ3hqbC6wtutq4liIVGaztrAB9pDCsrVfa0y4mOd1uZe_GFakUEvMMQ0um6dI1TOGQiL44aJW0v

IMAG2501           IMAG2502

I still have to paint some additional colours on these parts, but the white must dry for several more hours before I can mask it.

So, I moved on to decaling. Here's the set-up:

y4mwPqLiVfIpRhc9ga0Rw--1e3SioWe7GYC23_N4

IMAG2503

I managed to apply all the decals on the port side:

y4mtSh7Kjt-HmOY9io9V9vse05svyINjbI8GpxdP

IMAG2504

Here's a detail of the tail fin, with Micro Sol doing its job (not for the faint of heart... :) ):

y4mKyijuAp8JwmztiVxEDJMXpeQcurDYZeb-68WC

IMAG2505

That's all for now. I only have one day before the GB ends. Let's see how it goes. I still have dozens of decals to apply and the weathering and finishing to do.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

Hi Jaime, looking really good. I'm looking forward to seeing all the decals on. The Aqua Gloss you used, is that by Mr Hobby? Joe

On 7/26/2015 at 08:00, Fatboydim said:

Hi Jaime, looking really good. I'm looking forward to seeing all the decals on. The Aqua Gloss you used, is that by Mr Hobby? Joe

Thanks, Joe. Aqua Gloss is a water-based gloss varnish from Alclad. It is recommended for their high-shine colours (chrome, airframe aluminium, stainless steel, ...) but works over any other paint type as a regular gloss varnish. It can also be used as a primer for Alclad and for dipping clear parts (spectacular results here).

On 7/26/2015 at 18:16, Brokenedge said:

It's a close run thing, but this is looking really good. A lot of work in a very short time!

Thanks Brokenedge. I'm afraid I won't finish this build (or my other two entries) in time. I had some problems with the tail fin decals and the model is not good right now. I'll show the details in a separate post.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello again,

I'm afraid disaster struck and I won't be able to finish this model in time for the GB.

As said in my previous post, I run into trouble with the tail fin decals. After Micro Sol dried, the wrinkles remained. No additional amount of solvent or making small holes along the wrinkles to help the solvent spread removed them. Here's how the port side looks:

y4mj4Wljn-Yh2kMLHZcIZ2byW6Rw5h4LbUgJuWqf

IMAG2506

I applied the starboard side decal, kept the fin horizontal while applying Micro Sol and kept brushing the wrinkles but, in the end, this one also got bad:

y4m2HjIPGPhlHlh8zbJIhf3bUDWmexC2hyaegiYu

IMAG2508

While I was thinking about how to solve this, I kept applying decals. Here's the starboard side:

y4mYqippoU9zYGdE1E7hh-6QDsVXohpN8pbgiqBR

IMAG2507

I must say that the Fujimi decals that come with the kit seem to react badly with Micro Sol, since the larger ones have a tendency to keep wrinkles, which I must smooth out with a cotton bud when the solvent dries.

Anyway, it was evident that the model wouldn't make it to the GB Gallery in time. Then I noticed that there were many more decals to apply to the sides than I thought. The instructions only identify all the stencils in the lateral diagrams for the first camouflage alternative. The other camouflage alternatives only identify their specific decals and stencils in the lateral diagrams. This is shown in the following picture. As can be seen, there's still a huge number of stencils to apply to the sides:

y4mWQky5uuifotxUs3FnVOq5-20Ibsh4a9upnHY_

IMAG2509

Conclusion: even if I didn't have any problems with the tail fin decals, I wouldn't be able to finish this model in time for the GB.

Since my other two entries are far from finished, I won't have any of my three entries ready in time. This is no problem, though. My objective was to improve my building efficiency and test the parallel build of several versions of the same kit. I can say that my efficiency has indeed improved and I got a lot of experience with this attempt.

Regarding this one, I'm now considering the following possibilities to solve the problem with the tail fin decals:

• ask some fellow modeller for some spare decals
  • buy a set of decals for a RN Phantom
  • print the decals myself on decal paper, using an image from the net (some Photoshop work will be needed)
  • since the white lozenge with the omega is ok on the starboard side and could possibly be salvaged on the port side, I could mask the tail and paint the red areas. It seems that Gunze H327 (Red FS11136) is very similar to the decal's red, or should I use Gunze H23 (Shine Red)?

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks for looking and for all the support and interest along the way. I will now continue building the three Phantoms to completion, as regular WIPs.

Jaime

• Like 3