Thinking About A New Air-Brush

Sgt.Squarehead

At present I'm using a selection of Badger, Revell (Badger clones) & DeVilbiss brushes.....Basically I'm hoping to find a reliable air-brush with performance similar to my DeVilbiss Super 93, that is as quick and easy to clean as my Revell (Badger clones). :shrug:

The DeVilbiss is a great airbrush, capable of everything I could ever need, in fact it's much more capable than I am TBH, but it really is a bit of a pain to clean & maintain, so I tend not to use it unless I absolutely have to.....I'm looking for similar performance in a more user-friendly format. :pray:

Hey Sarge. I'm really pleased with my Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2in1 that was recommended by Paul at Modelling Tools, details here.

Paul's really good at chatting through your requirements on the phone.

HTH :)

• Like 2

I've heard good things about H&S.....I'd be interested to see the internals (please don't take yours apart on my account though). :coolio:

The DeVilbiss has a really annoying little metal widget (not the proper term for it, I suspect) that locks the needle in place. It looks almost identical to a tiny off-cut of sprue and consequently I have a use to loss ratio of about 3:2! :doh:

• Like 1

I'm selling a lot of H&S Evolution & Infinity brushes to old Devillbis owners at the moment.

H&S Brushes strip down very easily, no little fiddly bits to fall inside.

Have a look at the manual for the Evolution and that will give you a good idea of the normal use:

http://www.harder-airbrush.eu/files/downloads/manuals/Evolution%20Manual.pdf

And here is a diagram for the parts for the various versions of the Evolution.

http://www.harder-airbrush.eu/files/downloads/spare-parts/Evolution.pdf

Paul

• Like 2

Hey Sarge. I'm really pleased with my Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2in1 that was recommended by Paul at Modelling Tools, details here.

Paul's really good at chatting through your requirements on the phone.

HTH :)

I have one of these as well and can recommend it.

• Like 2

Iwata without question. Better built by fare. One thing worth bearing in mind is that the seals in H & S airbrushes seem to be forever needing changing, something you never have to do with Iwata airbrushes.

Tim.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2in1. I started out using a Badger 150 about 30 years ago, then about ten years ago moved to an Iwata HP-C plus (massive improvement on so many levels), last year bought the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2in1.

Its main advantage over the Iwata is that it is easier to clean with the larger drop in fluid nozzle, rather than the tiny fiddly little Iwata one. In action there's not much to pick between them, and TBH I haven't experimented with the .4mm nozzle/needle combo yet, I've just been using the 0.2mm.

Very nice airbrush, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an Iwata too. Either brand will see you right and Iwata do a range with the drop in nozzles too, the HP-CS.

• Like 2

Ease of clean-up is the deciding factor for me, my DeVilbiss is a very capable brush, but it's a chore to clean.....I won't be selling the Super 93, because with media that can be easily flushed through like inks, it's simply superb. :coolio:

I have an H & S Infinity and its a doddle to clean and maintain. Totally recommended. I think you like some of my work, all of which was done with this trusty brush. I have had to replace a couple of split nozzles but other than that it has been trouble free.

• Like 1

I am another owner of a H&S air brush after a recommendation from Paul. After having a few different cheap chineases models I am over the moon with my H&S.

I have a Ultra 2 in 1 but have just this week upgraded to a Evolution CRplus 2 in 1 which is fantastic

• Like 1

I had an Iwata Revolution CR for almost 10 years and it never let me down once. Evertythig I have posted on this site over the years was painted with the Revolution. I have just upgraded to an Iwata HP-C Plus- what a beauty it is. Have been able to get so much control. I can get lines down to 1mm with it. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

I bought the H&S infinity at our model show from Paul at the weekend, although I've not tested it yet, the quality of manufacturing speaks for itself.

• Like 2

out of the 3 different AB's that I have (H&S Ultra, Iwata Revolution CR and PremiAir G35), which are all entry level, I find the Ultra by far the easiest to clean and use. The Iwata is also a good brush but much harder to use and keep clean, and if you have to unscrew the nozzle on both the Iwata and the PremiAir, for a clean and screw it back after, it if fiddly and also have to be very careful as there is a possibility of snapping off this if you use too much force.

I will look to upgrade to an Infinity once my AB skills develop considerably.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded from Chinese (kit one with as-186 compressor) to a H&S evolution cr+. Im so happy :-) another level of control for me (a newbie btw).

I wen to pick my up with Paul today as i was nearby, lovely cust service with him.

My 2 cents :)

• Like 1

I bought an H&S Ultra about a month back, and it is great. Quick and easy to clean, and it gives excellent results. I'm getting used to the fact it doesn't have a "cheat's stop" on the paint flow control, so it's all too easy for me to yank it back and let rip - but that's all to do with the user and beggar-all to do with the brush!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I too have just invested in an H&S Evolution 2in1 from Paul (Most impressive service, advice and attentiveness). Paul has pretty much clued me in most aspects of its usage, but thought I would ask on here about the thinners and or solvents that you can or should not put through the brush?

I'm prone to using "screenwash" (Glycol) as a thinner and cleaner ... on occasion Acetone (nail varnish remover) for stubborn cleaning purposes - rarely if at all cellulose but I'd be curious to know. ............................... sorry, I'm a recent convert to "Acylics" and seem to have settled on Vallejo, some AK stuff.

Any advice or opinions ??????????????? ................. TIA.

• Like 1