„BISMARCK“ – German’s battleship 1941 – 1/200 by Trumpeter, Pontos, …

Oha... that's strange.... the pontostemplate is looking like this ....

xcze4qy2t1v.jpg ....

now what is correct..... who knows more?

... trying to find pictures of it .... hopefully .....

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Pretty sure pontos got the GHG pattern right. We had long discussions about it on mw.com and I think that's where Pontos got the idea. Check out this build thread, I think there's more info about it somewhere if memory serves: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57213&start=480

Edited by Chango

Well, if you think the Bismarck website have got it wrong, along with one or two books I've checked then that's up to you as it's your model, but I still believe Pontos have got this wrong IMHO. The hydrophones should be laid out in a symmetrical inverted horseshoe shape.

Hi Dave,

I just spoke with several guys at "the ship model forum" who corrected the full Bismarck hull... and all of them confirmed that it is more possible that the Pontos template is correct.... Please check the following .... http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57213&start=480.

Also - as it seems, the version of Asmussen is nowhere recordered, but at the Tirpitz it also shows such an unsymmetrical version.... I think I will keep it as it is, but it seems to be more realistic in this version ...

BR
Michael

Edited by elmarriachi

I have Michael, and I still think they are wrong. The template doesn't match any of the information I have seen. It also seems too haphazard a layout for what was a very sensitive system. I know what I'll be using when I build my big Bismarck. :D

Hi Dave,

just found some more infos....

look here http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/23530/Kriegsmarine-vs-Center-Force?page=4#.VYkoqPntlBc :)

This is a strage issue... and a lot of "mysteries" about it as it seems ... :)

Cheers

Michael

There does seem to be a lot of discussion on various boards, with some people stating that the POntos template is correct and stating certain "facts" but they haven't backed up their claims with physical evidence. The nearest I can see the template shape, is that of the array around the foreplanes of a Type VII u-boat, even then they are not the same.

• Like 1

Hi id have to agree with Dave, the hydrophones where carefully set out in an arc which can clearly be seen on the side of U-boats, due to accurate calibration being required between the pairs relative to their spacing.

Gruppenhorchgerat (GHG)

The standard U-boat hydrophone, the GHG (Group Listening Apparatus) was installed in U-boats from 1935 onwards. It consisted of two sets of hydrophones mounted on each side of the bows, covering two arcs of 140 degrees on the sides of the U-boat. Because the hydrophones could not be rotated, the triangulation was most effective with sound sources coming from the sides, with deteriorating accuracy as the source moved to the front or rear of the boat. Consisting of 24 hydrophones, the GHG could pick up lone vessels up to 20 kilometers and convoys up to 100 kilometers away. The detection range however was also dependant on sea conditions.

Theoretically, the optimal curve on which the hydrophones had to be placed was a down wards open half arc.

regards Chris

ps never trust a surface shipbuilder about submarine technology LOL

I don't imagine a 750 ton submarine would get the same GHG system as a 45,000 ton superbattleship, but hey....

Anyway there's WAY too much superstructure and brass fiddly bits in the Pontos "ultimate set" to spend a lot of time worrying about the GHG system (which would be hardly noticable in 1/200 scale anyway).

Excited to see more! Go Michael! :popcorn:

Edited by Chango

Lordy dordy - and there I was thinking it was just the Spitfire and ME109 builders that went head to head with one another about their individual opinions to detail.

Lets see more of the rest of the build - go go go :offtopic:

Hey noboday is going head with one others head :) We just try to learn from each other about what's true :)

In the meantime I am still opening the holes in the hull for the cooling water ... adding the PE parts..... filling ..... sanding ...... picture will follow today or tomorrow! :)

Also I changed my mind r egarding the brass display parts... Now I chose stainless steel for it :) Looks better I think :)

Cheers
Michael

• Like 2

*** UPDATE ***

The two openigs for the smoke system at the stern were added ...

dsc_6383_1024x678x4kqe.jpg

The "Gruppenhorchgerät" (GHG) on both sides were finished, new filled, drilled and sanded several times ....

dsc_6414_1024x678hij4l.jpg

dsc_6418_1024x678mlkji.jpg

Next I have opend all the holds for the cooling water system on both sides of the hulls. Used a knife, drill, files .... then test-fitted the etched parts from Pontos and glued these inside. The gaps were filled with putty and everything sanded also several times. From the inside painted black. Then I made "chests" with plastic card, painted also black inside and glued inside the hull. Now it is impossible to look through the hull when looking behind the meshs.

dsc_6372_1024x678bxj12.jpg

dsc_6411_1024x678kqk23.jpg

dsc_6416_1024x678p1jn1.jpg

dsc_6421_1024x678hnj08.jpg

dsc_6422_1024x6789ek2z.jpg

In several stages I have sanded the hull under the water to get a 100% smooth surface, before starting with the etched parts ...

dsc_6419_1024x678ffkat.jpg

As I have decided against the brass stands for the display I have adjusted the already drilled holes for the new parts made of stainless steel. These are 4,5cm high, 1,2cm diameter. Perfect. These are parts from balcon handrails with core thread inside on both sides.

dsc_6427_1024x678qijtu.jpg

dsc_6430_1024x67809kfj.jpg

Next steps.... etched parts :)

Cheers

Micha

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Hello @ all.

a new update of my 1/200 Bismarck....

The maindeck was glued inside, several details removed for the mounting of the wooden deck, then everything fillered and sanded.

The portholes received their frames and eyebrows (Pontos) now. Tried to get all of them as accurate as possible... funny job :)

Much more fun was the mounting of all the small etched climbing steps on the stern... each glued in the small holes which I have drilled before...

BOW:

wv7leimoro9j.jpg

STERN:

ewk2w9jlxqjd.jpg

qujz332pt8ri.jpg

bebd99qyp6z1.jpg

xyyzwx7i5b9v.jpg

The next step will be the beginning of the painting which will start with a cloudy sprayed layer of black primer from Valleyo to make shure that the surface is clean. Also it will be a first preshading for the next steps of painting.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

In the meantime the full hull is painted in black..... (primer) and sanded under the water once again as it had some small bumps which were gone now.

The next step will be painting of the grey color (Lifecolor UA602 + UA604). Not full covering the black primer which will give it some shadows.

Michael

The painting of the hull... first a black primer to show the last gaps, scratches, etc.... then sanding once again a little bit......

dsc_6515_1024x678lauw9.jpg

dsc_6516_1024x678j9uyk.jpg

dsc_6518_1024x6789zufh.jpg

The first "real" color on the hull is DKM51 "Mittelgrau" (Lifecolor UA602) which is sprayed cloudy, not fully covering the black on the hull in several thin layers. Then some lightings follow with the DKM51 "Mittelgrau Variants" (Lifecolor UA604).

dsc_6526_1024x67886uso.jpg

dsc_6528_1024x678miu2m.jpg

dsc_6529_1024x678tau4q.jpg

dsc_6533_1024x678lmui4.jpg

Next steps are some shadows with darker grey, then following the darker parts on the bow & stern.

Cheers.

Micha

• Like 3

Hello.

let's move forward with the painting of the hull.

The hull was masked for painting of the dark areas at the bow and stern with Lifecolor UA605.

Then with a dark grey the shadow area at the bow and stern was darkend a little bit.

oj35aypixgn6.jpg

temgowzut1mp.jpg

Once this was dried I have masked the upper part of the hull and painted the underside in "Schiffsbodenfarbe Nr.5", also Lifecolor.

Then.... masking the complete hull upper and lower part for painting the dark strip around the ship. I used Lifecolor Black/grey UA208 for that.

z6ur5jh53wx9.jpg

1krjyfjehf5.jpg

e28o2auty5ij.jpg

Next step will be masking and painting the waves at the bow/stern and the white/black stripes at the sides ...

... then some smaller repairings of the paint follow, before the weathering starts.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 5